Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derek Ufton

I was at a Kent CCC lunch with him today and he made a lovely speech, mostly about cricket - but he also talked about Charlton.

Many will have heard his story about the famous 7-6 win v Huddersfield in December 1957, but it is worth telling again.

He was carried off after 17 mins when it was still 0-0 with a dislocated shoulder, and taken to the Miller hospital in Greenwich.

His father accompanied him and as Derek was about to go under anaesthetic and go into surgery, he asked his father to find out the score and was told Huddersfield were winning 4-1.

At this he insisted that the team needed him and, with no subs allowed in those days, proposed going back to the Valley to play the last half hour with his dislocated shoulder.

The doctors, of course, were not allowing that and he was given the anaesthetic.

When he came out of theatre, he asked again what the final score was and wouldn't believe anyone when they told him Charlton had won 7-6.

Great man and a great story. Fancy being one of the XI who played in our most famous game of all time - but missing all 13 goals!

He was also asked who was the greatest Charlton player he has ever seen and answered Stuart Leary, his old colleague not only at CAFC but in the Kent XI, too.

Comments

• A perfect gentleman on the few occasions I've had the privilege of speaking to him.

I narrowly missed him playing for both Charlton and Kent. He was in fact still a registered Kent player in my first season but Tony Catt was the preferred wicketkeeper at the time.

Knotty then came along a season or so later to conclusively end any arguments as to whom should be first choice!
  • Exactly the same as me, Len.

Derek was first-choice in 1961 and played almost every match for Kent, but lost his plce to Tony Catt in 1962, which was my first season of watching, too.

Saw Stuart Leary play a huge number of games for Kent, though, but I never saw him play for Charlton.
  • Just a season or two earlier. I saw Derek and Stuart play at the end of 58-59 season and then a few weeks later go up the road to the Rectory Field Blackheath and Dartford to see them play for Kent. If I remember right Derek understudied Godfrey Evans and thus didn't play in the first eleven as often as he could have. Sadly I can still almost remember the make up of the those teams being a most impressionable 12 year old.....Duff, Sewell, Townsend...etc; ..Richardson, Prodger, Dixon, Halfyard, etc just before the days of Luckhurst and Denness. Halcyon days!
  • John Prodger was at the lunch on Friday, too, Peanuts, and looked very well.

He was a decent footballer, too, but mostly non-league...
  • Lucky to see both play for Kent and the addicks, happy days.
  • Is incorruptible now going to Sussex CCC lunches?

Happy Birthday Mr Ufton.
  • Hero of mine too, although I missed much of his playing carrier as I was away in the Navy. Remember seeing him keeping wicket at Blackheath (v. Surrey) when he again put out his shoulder. Great player, and director for Charlton. Am I right in thinking, he was instrumental in getting Jimmy Hill here as one of our directors?
  • Happy Birthday Derek,
    I agree with him about Stuart Leary, best player I have seen for Charlton
  • edited May 2017
    http://englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=282

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwCELyBzfU

Derek's one cap for England in 1953.
    You may catch a glimpse of number 5.

• Sponsored links:

• http://englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=282

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwCELyBzfU

Derek's one cap for England in 1953.
    You may catch a glimpse of number 5.

Derek's shirt from that day on display in the museum
  • My dad is a huge fan of Derek. Dad was very chuffed when he revealed the Jorge Costa signing to him at a dinner; I'm sure many on here knew too but those were the days when info was harder to come by
  • edited May 2017
    Happy Birthday Derek.

Derek came to my dad's funeral earlier this month. Derek & Dad played in the Borough Juniors team. A very nice man.
  • Happy Birthday Mr Ufton.
  • True gentleman, the way he looked after Billy Kiernan on Centenary day epitomises what a nice man he is - chatting​ to him about football and cricket is an absolute education - happy birthday Derek.