Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton ranked 8th highest out of the 92 league clubs..

...for a single highest capacity at a home match.

i was doing some research and stumbled across this, thought it might interest a few people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_home_attendances_of_English_football_clubs

Comments

• Options
    so another eight more people and I could legitimately tell the Spurs fans at work that we are a bigger club than them.
  • Options
    Arsenal had to use an attendance set at Wembley, how small time is that?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    10 clubs' record attendance was against Arsenal
    and only about a third of the records were for league games
  • Options
    Both Man City & Man Utd record attendance where set at Maine Road? Must have been during the war, as I think Utd used Maine Road.
  • Options
    I remember going to Highfield Road in 1977/8 with my then wife to be (in hindsight it was clearly not meant to be - she was a Sky Blue fan). We stood on the Spion Kop and couldn't see a damn thing cos it was so packed. The place was a dump. I went back during our first relegation season from the PL. Time had not been kind - it was even more of a dump than before, and we lost 2-1 after going ahead. Gone and should be forgotten.
  • Options
    That Stripey attendance of 51k in 1979 sticks in the craw a bit....remember it well being the day after my birthday...couldnt believe the size of it.
  • Options
    I always thought we held the FA Cup record?
    Oh well!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]I always thought we held the FA Cup record?
    Oh well!

Me too?
  • Options
    It's believed that there were over 80k for a home game against Arsenal, I think in the 30's but the figure couldn't be confirmed as so many people had bunked in.

My great uncle used to work on the turnstiles for a while and he used to say that all the attendance figures were well under the actual figure. Every now and then they would take the money from 2 people but let them in on the same turn by keeping their foot on the lever/pedal.
  • Options
    I must have mentioned this story a hundred times before, but my granddad was at a game when the East Terrace was so full he couldn't put his hand in his pocket to get out his half time apple out. Thousands would climb over a fence.