Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So have we signed Bougy Wougy??

WSSWSS
edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Wednesday manager Brian Laws has slammed defender Madjid Bougherra and his representatives after the Algerian looked set to sign for Premiership strugglers Charlton for £2.5m.

Laws made his feelings known over the saga during an interview on Radio Sheffield on Friday evening - and revealed the highly-rated defender, who had already turned down a move to Everton earlier in the week, had threatened to never play for the club again until he got a move.

Laws said: "We didn't want to sell him. This move has been forced by him, his agents and Charlton more than anything. The whole saga has been a mess. Charlton have never had the decency to give me a call. Everton were ultra-professional, and David Moyes spoke to me first because he wanted to speak to the player.

"But when you hear the words coming from the player that he doesn't want to be at Sheffield Wednesday, then he shouldn't be here. We don't want any player who doesn't want to play for us.

"His agents told the club, and Madjid told the chairman, that he would not play for us again if he did not get his move. He wanted to go, he begged to go. It put us in a difficult position. We could have made him see out his contract. But we had a value, and we made Charlton pay that value if they wanted him that badly."

The former Crewe Alexandra player made the move to Hillsborough in the summer for a fee believed to be around £250k from French club FC Gueugnon before going on to make 28 appearances for the Owls, scoring two goals along the way.

And despite Laws believing Bougherra made the wrong decision in joining Charlton rather than Everton, he wished the Algerian good luck and turned his focus to working with the rest of the squad at S6 as the Owls look towards a play-off spot.

He added: "Good luck to Madjid; I wished him all the best but I think he's made the wrong choice. Charlton rather than Everton is a no-brainer - a player should be prepared to play anywhere. Now we can move on and work with the players who want to be at Sheffield Wednesday."

Comments

• Options
    doesn't appear yet, just want us to wrap this up and move on. We're not really 'nailing' signings lately, they always seem to drag out...

i won't be happy on this until i see a pic of him on the official site.
  • Options
    i agree, does seem starnge why he would choose us over Everton! I can't beleive the way we have "dealt" with it has been criticised. A first for CAFC??
  • Options
    Yet again SWFC shouting the odds about this possible move. As you say AFKA I'll believe it when it I get that e-mail from Chris Parkes ;-)
  • Options
    Amazed at how our original offer of 1.3m has now turned into 2.5m - only 500k less than their valuation. Can't see their problem as they only paid 250k for him 6 months ago.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The bloke is contradicting himself, and clearly a bit of an 'outspoken character'. The player refuses to play for Wednesday, yet he wishes him well, erm... They give him a clause to talk to other clubs after a bid of a certain amount, yet he criticises Charlton for doing so.. err...

I am curious as to why us not everton, apparently they couldnt agree terms.

Also curious why we are buying a defender (we have dozens of them) when we need a central midfielder or two and a striker, perhaps there just aren't any available, or this guy - untested at this level - can play there too.

One good sign is that the gloves are off, and we are looking at lower league talent.

Still think we need a striker and two central midfielders and perhaps a left footed wide man too. Ah well.
  • Options
    Isn't he the bugle boy from Company B?
  • Options
    From his website (translated):
    Bougherra signs in Charlton It is official,
    Madjid Bougherra will carry the colors of Charlton Athletic. It engaged today with the London club for one duration of 4 years and half. The amount of the transfer is £2,5 million. Charlton occupies the 19th place of the English championship and account 3 points of delay on Wigan, first team not relegatable. International the 24 year old Algerian will try to help Charlton (worse defense of the championship) to be maintained in First League.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2007
    translated is used very loosely there!!
  • Options
    i guess he wants to live in London rather than Liverpool, hence Laws moaning that a player shouyld be prepared to play anywhere

lets just hope he is focussed on playing for us, rather than joining Jerome on the nite club circuit
  • Options
    [quote]translated is used very loosely there!![/quote]
    I used google translate it oviously won't be perfect
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's marginally better than babelfish, which has the amount of the transfer down as 2.5million books.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]It's marginally better than babelfish, which has the amount of the transfer down as 2.5million books.

LOL

do love some of those translation sites. 'First team not relegatable' - Think the translation may of gone amiss a little there...
  • Options
    He has his own website

Bougherra.com
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]He has his own website

Bougherra.com
    blow your own trumpet boogy!
  • Options
    I'm more concerned by the fact his website thinks we're in the Championship!!!
  • Options
    Yes we have- official text alert
  • Options
    So weve got him have we.............. how much??? any details ???
  • Options
    It is also on the official site 2.5 million.
  • Options
    oh yes sir,
    we've got Bougy,
    Bougy Woogy !!

No length of contract though....
  • Options
    So we now have a central defence pairing of I'm a Soulman Diawarra and Bougy Nights?

VFR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anyone else think Pards has him in mind as a holding midfielder. Looks like he can break the play up, decent passer of the ball and he's certainly good at getting forward. Maybe he's not been bought as a defender??
  • Options
    Could Herman on his way for £750k?
    Not that I have heard anything (made up figure), just that there were a couple of stories linking him with moves to Pompey/West Ham.
    I suppose Pompey wanted him for left back - an even more pressing need now they have Traore playing there ;-)
  • Options
    can't see him (HH) going anywhere, Pards rates him as the pairing of HH and Elk has been quite succesful in his regin so far apparently
  • Options
    he bigged him up in an interview at the weekend. said its good to have hh back for pompey as he made a difference.
    be intersting out he sorts that out, and if hh and el kak will put up a fight for their places.
  • Options
    So back 4 next week of:

ELK
    Bougherra
    HH
    Thatcher
  • Options
    Bougy says the reason he turned down Everton eis they wanted him as a utility player/holding midfield player and he see's him self as a Centre back and only wants to play there...
  • Options
    Also says in one of the SW threads that he's carrying an injury at moment - no, no, no, not another crocked one, please!!