Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA versus Fans

I've never felt so much cold anger I felt as a football fan after seeing our future King and Head of State and No 1 football Ambassador taken for a sick ride by Mr Blattyman and his old cronies on Thursday.

There are these kinds of nasty people who run football and run our clubs too and then there are us, the fans. When will we realise our true power and vote with our feet and boycott a tournament or two (or a brand that pays them) to teach them what power the paying customer has.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Looks like the players have already joined the boycott.
  • Options
    I'm just angry that football supporting nations are not being rewarded.

I've also been thinking about what we as a mass could do to go against these decisions.
  • Options
    Yes, what about hitting the TV sponsors who want to sell their merchandise and service, that's where the money is being generated from for FIFA. That would hurt them if done during a major tournament...like Champions League at Wembly this year!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Wise Addict[/cite]Yes, what about hitting the TV sponsors who want to sell their merchandise and service, that's where the money is being generated from for FIFA. That would hurt them if done during a major tournament...like Champions League at Wembly this year!!
    FIFA doesn't have any control over Champions League but I know what you are getting at and it will never happen.
  • Options
    From now on...

No more stupid meaningless friendlies against teams like Trinidad & Tobago.
    We could also try and win the next tournament and demonstrate that we take the event seriously.

There needs to be some root and branch reform at Fifa and therefore we could do with a few more Panorama exclusives that investigate corruption inside Fifa.

And since Budweiser is the official beer of the WC I suggest we start by refusing to drink any more of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Wise Addict[/cite]Yes, what about hitting the TV sponsors who want to sell their merchandise and service, that's where the money is being generated from for FIFA. That would hurt them if done during a major tournament...like Champions League at Wembly this year!!

The CL is a Uefa competition.
  • Options
    I'm thinking more in terms of finding out which petrol stations stock that originating from Qatar. If we boycotted those petrol stations in favour of those using petrol from UAE for example then we could be onto something. I doubt it's that simple though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]And since Budweiser is the official beer of the WC I suggest we start by refusing to drink any more of it.
    Been boycotting this for years, and I don't drink Qatar petrol either, so I am ahead of the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I'm thinking more in terms of finding out which petrol stations stock that originating from Qatar. If we boycotted those petrol stations in favour of those using petrol from UAE for example then we could be onto something. I doubt it's that simple though.

Ok...

The Qatari's own Harrods. I suggest we start by boycotting Harrods.
  • Options
    Soon however Qatar will own charlton and we don't really want to boycott that do we! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm over it now - it dawned on me yesterday that I don't give a monkey's any more, and that includes 2014.

This is where some real damage will be done - apathy. I've written elsewhere about the experience of visiting Moscow in 2007 - never again. The Ivans - and the Abduls for that matter - won't get a cent out of me.

Also, the fan benefits promised by Russia go with ticket-holders : many many travel to the WC without tickets, so there's no encouragement to travel on spec, unlike, say, 2006.

WIth new lands the important criterion maybe it will be hundreds of years before it is our turn again .... unless FIFA really get into gear and we have a WC every month, say.

2018 is a long way off and FIFA have a fight on their hands. How will their members feel when the FA quietly start withdrawing their development work ? The media will be digging like crazy to find evidence of corruption. " Thank you, Sepp" " No, thank YOU, Vladimir."

Watch this space.
  • Options
    I doubt us fans can make much difference, but the English FA and the FAs of other snubbed nations (Australia, for example) could. Boycott games with Russia, or even Russian club sides. I'd say the same about Qatar, but they don't have any, so no point.

Until the corruption in FIFA is cut out, England should have nothing to do with bidding for future World Cup competitions.

With some thought and a bit of coordination, maybe some pressure can be brought to bear.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fifa's six global brand partners are:

Adidas
    Coca-Cola
    Emirates airline
    Hyundai cars
    Sony
    Visa

So an anti-FIFA boycott should really start with those brands. Admittedly England is just one country, but we're a big economy and a big market for these brands. A few thousand emails could go a long way in making these companies put pressure on FIFA to reform. Look at how quickly Tiger Woods' sponsors did a runner when he got caught out cheating.

To start the ball rolling, I've sent the following email to Coca-Cola

"Dear Coca-Cola,

I am a regular customer of Coca-Cola, Coke and Diet Coke being the only soft drinks I consume.

This is to let you know that following FIFA's fundamentally flawed decisions to award the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar, I have decided to boycott all Coca-Cola products. I have no wish to be associated with, or give my money to, a company that supports a fundamentally undemocratic and corrupt organisation such as FIFA.

I will be posting this message on my Facebook page and encouraging my friends to join my boycott.

I hope you will reconsider your support of FIFA so that I can once again enjoy Coca-Cola products."
  • Options
    ... of all the reasons to boycott Coca Cola...
  • Options
    but it tastes so good
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]Fifa's six global brand partners are:

Adidas
    Coca-Cola
    Emirates airline
    Hyundai cars
    Sony
    Visa

So an anti-FIFA boycott should really start with those brands. Admittedly England is just one country, but we're a big economy and a big market for these brands. A few thousand emails could go a long way in making these companies put pressure on FIFA to reform. Look at how quickly Tiger Woods' sponsors did a runner when he got caught out cheating.

"Dear Coca-Cola,

I am a regular customer of Coca-Cola, Coke and Diet Coke being the only soft drinks I consume.

This is to let you know that following FIFA's fundamentally flawed decisions to award the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar, I have decided to boycott all Coca-Cola products. I have no wish to be associated with, or give my money to, a company that supports a fundamentally undemocratic and corrupt organisation such as FIFA.

I will be posting this message on my Facebook page and encouraging my friends to join my boycott.

I hope you will reconsider your support of FIFA so that I can once again enjoy Coca-Cola products."
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]... of all the reasons to boycott Coca Cola...
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]http://killercoke.org/

nothing wrong with coca cola

Adidas
    Emirates airline
    Hyundai cars
    Sony
    Visa

pick on the others
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]Fifa's six global brand partners are:

Adidas
    Coca-Cola
    Emirates airline
    Hyundai cars
    Sony
    Visa

"Dear Coca-Cola,

[cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: IA[/cite]... of all the reasons to boycott Coca Cola...
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]http://killercoke.org/

nothing wrong with coca cola

Adidas
    Emirates airline
    Hyundai cars
    Sony
    Visa

pick on the others

Never wear Adidas (I'm a Puma Man)
    Can't afford an airline ticket
    Drive a van, so don't need a car
    Prefer Phillips to Sony
    Visa ! Them bastards gave Me a credit card, which I used, and Now they want their money back.
  • Options
    Nobody will do anything but moan. Anyway, there's a lot of competition to hold WC finals. It wasn't that long ago that the press here was telling us that it was an outrage that the US were being allowed to hold a final and that they'd want to have the games split into quarters. That was the best attended world cup to date. Then South Africa was going to be a World Cup with a parallel raping event. I think that there's an element of toys flying out of prams when England don't get what they want. It's all down to corruption, woe is us. But actually there's a number of technically competent bids that might have their future King, Head of State and equivalent to Lord Beckinham (maybe someone their fans haven't decided they detest a few times) involved and England will get it's shot again at some point.