Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gavin Peacock - Fantastic Article

13»

Comments

• My cousin is a Mormon. In fact, he holds a very senior position in the UK LDS Church and has been on television a number of times. He is incredibly intelligent and can fire back an answer to any question immediately and sincerely. When he posts pictures of his Jesus however he doesn’t like to discuss the fact he is white with long blond hair.
    That aside, he tells me when we get to heaven we will all be together as a family. He insists that it is possible and our aunts, uncles and cousins etc are all up there now waiting for us. What he struggles with is why my I never see my cousins who live in Dartford. Whilst I would like to see more of him, I rest assured that we will all be hanging out together behind the pearly gates. FFS
  • The interesting question for me is whether in humankind there is really such a thing as spirituality.
    So far my conclusion is that there is.
    The manifestation of that trait is probably a separate question.
    Preaching however...now that is something else in itself.
  • MrOneLung said:

Just about the most intelligent person I have ever known has been a believer since we were at school. We played in the same band, went to the same Church youth club and he then went off to Cambridge where he got himself a first without drawing breath.

I don't believe that he has ever had a "proper" job but has spent the last forty years spreading the word around the world in places such as the US, Bali, the Far East and the Netherlands and also writing numerous books and blogs about everything ecclesiastical. His wife's job working for Shell was the reason why he has been so well travelled.

For the only time since we had left school, we met up with him in a local pub about a decade or so ago but I came away really disappointed. In my mind I'd built him up as the former Head Boy, captain of the rugby team, the guitarist who then learnt to play the sax in six weeks and font of all knowledge - but came away feeling rather empty.

On reflection, I think that was probably down to us being so different right down to the fact that I bought the first round and he didn't even reciprocate with a packet of crisps let alone a drink. Still, afterwards, he did have the courtesy to wave as he drove past in his top of the range Merc.

God really does move in mysterious ways.

I wish I could be like David Watts
    He really was like David Watts - the fact that he was so gifted in so many ways and then decided to devote his life to preaching the Gospel makes me feel that I've missed a trick somewhere in not completely sharing his committed beliefs!
    No, you just needed to shack up with his bird before he did.
    As I "retired" a couple years ago at the age of 56 mainly down to the fact that my other half's job allowed me to do so I'm not complaining - not to anyone but her anyway!