Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West stand, give us a song

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Heard this chant coming from the covered end on Saturday home to Luton and am proud to say I was the only one who stood and gave you a song, was in a brown coat and thought I'd give the West stand a try seen as it was a cup game.

Fair play to the lads in the covered end, albeit there wasn't many of you, you tried to create an atmosphere from the home end as we were clearly out voiced by the 3200 Luton fans at their cup final.

If we get to the third round I hope all the covered end, bar the wally who threw something the other night, to be at Tottenham and out singing them like Luton did us! CAFC CAFC!

Comments

• More chance of getting a Charlton Life badge than a chant from there

Sorry excluding Red Army clap clap clap
  • Some of us come to watch football - not sing

Or is that a crime?
  • You're not proper Charlton unless...
  • edited November 2010
    Oh good - another thread about people not singing in the West Stand ................. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Thing that get's me is, if the North Stand is so noisy and "passionate" then how do they know that nobody in the West Stand is singing??? Oh, I forgot - it's a sweeping generalisation. If you sit in the West Stand you must be a mute prawn sandwich eater, musn't you.

BOR-INNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!
  • There is no way you will get them to sing. My brother in law has a season ticket for the west stand and refuses do do anything that might create an atmosphere. He's quite happy to sit there in is slippers eating cucumber sandwiches and making sure he doesnt drop his royal dulton tea flask. I think the only time he's shown any emotion was when he was told he could not smoke his pipe in the ground .

My wife wonders why I won't sit with him
  • You forgot knitting DPFC - it's a well known fact that everyone, EVERYONE, in the West Stand spends the whole of every game knitting themselves a rug each ready for the cold weather games. Guess it's paying off now though, eh?

Still, just think, if the people in the West Stand - that we don't really want and can do without - didn't come and pay about double for their tickets than most, that would mean the unwashed in the Upper North might have to fork out more for theirs. There's a conundrum, eh? What to do.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Oh good - another thread about people not singing in the West Stand ................. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I know, do you reckon there could be one thread dedicated to the lack of atmosphere at the Valley ?
  • I'm thinking of starting a thread about away numbers. Not sure if it's really a go-er though - doubt that anyone would have much to say on the matter.
  • There hasn't been a thread for ages stating that people from Kent aren't really Charlton (to which the response is always someone supplying evidence that Charlton was in the Cerimonial County of Kent in the 1800's or something). I'm definately going to start one of these.

Now we just need someone to start a thread about Alan Curbishley and we'll have the whole set !!
  • Valley Gold
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Some of us come to watch football - not sing

Or is that a crime?

You'd have to be pretty simple if you can't manage both.

That's like saying, i can't watch the Football while im sipping my bovril..It's not one or the other!
  • My mate sits in West. Joined him a couple of seasons ago for a home game against Swansea. In front of us were an elderly woman and her middle-aged son. Despite the game taking place in early August, the pair had matching tartan blankets and were drinking piping hot tea from a flask.

That was the last time I ever sat in the West stand.
  • [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

Or is that a crime?

That's like saying, i can't watch the Football while im sipping my bovril..It's not one or the other!

You're mental. How dangerous is that? do you know how hot the Bovril is?
  • wasnt going to bite but I am!

It's nothing to do with being simple - it's more about choosing not to sing and shout like a muppet.

Don't get me wrong I love the atmosphere when it's rocking but I'm quite a reserved chap and don't particularly like making a show of myself

Am I still allowed to attend?
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]wasnt going to bite but I am!

It's nothing to do with being simple - it's more about choosing not to sing and shout like a muppet.

Don't get me wrong I love the atmosphere when it's rocking but I'm quite a reserved chap and don't particularly like making a show of myself

If you sing or shout, your a muppet?

That's fair enough, what gives the Charlton fans there name i guess.

Flask bringing, tartan wearing trainspotters.

I will never go near the West Stand again, i like to be a "supporter" not just a happy clappy "fan".

The fact only just over half of the west stands up to cheer a goal sums it up really, what happened to the Valley!
  • [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

Or is that a crime?

You're mental. How dangerous is that? do you know how hot the Bovril is?

Might hear some noise from the west if there was some bovril spilige around the goin area!
  • what type of tartan mickey?
  • I'm no expert, but I think it was an example of 'Royal Stewart' tartan...

So nothing fancy
  • wasnt going to bite but I am!

So in other words, your boring.
  • Well I think that singing and shouting for your team at home is crazy and should be banned, its just too loud down The Valley sometimes, I also hate coming home after a match with bleeding ears.

I am taking the piss if nobody has guessed yet.

We are the L block, we are the l block, we are the l block covered end!
  • Sponsored links:

• if you say I'm Boring then I must be!

I'm not saying everyone who sings is a muppet - but some of the vitriol and shit that gets spouted makes me cringe.

I'll shout if I disagree with a ref, I'll cheer when we score.

Does your singing of "your sister is yourother...." make you the life and soul of the party???
  • Sooooommmmeeee boooorrrrriiiiinnnnggg miiiinnnddeeedd peeeeoooppppllle oooooonnn hhhheeeerrreee.

And sorry if that text pisses anybody off.
  • Your a muppet if you don't shout or sing? Naa, your a muppet if your too self concious about yourself to stand up and cheer when we score. (no dig at anyone on this site, but some in the west stand evidently do not)
  • Surely the point is everyone should be able to watch the game however they like, even if they are "boring".
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Surely the point is everyone should be able to watch the game however they like, even if they are "boring".

True, but the point about going to a football match is to sing, shout and enjoy right? And some people might say sitting there in silence is enjoyable (f*** knows how) but that's up to them I guess.

Ask any player or management and I am sure they would all agree with the people wanting a little more noise from the West Stand.
  • [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Surely the point is everyone should be able to watch the game however they like, even if they are "boring".

True, but the point about going to a football match is to sing, shout and enjoy right? And some people might say sitting there in silence is enjoyable (f*** knows how) but that's up to them I guess.

Ask any player or management and I am sure they would all agree with the people wanting a little more noise from the West Stand.

How difficult is it to comprehend that some people who attend football matches might not want to sing and shout? Do you really expect elderly fans (for example) to do this?

And I bet the players and management couldn't give a monkeys about how much noise is made by the West Stand.
  • edited November 2010
    No I don't expect elderly fans to do this, but every younger person can! And your wrong regarding the management and players giving a monkeys... because they do, remember the Parkinson statement on the website a few weeks back?
  • Swisdom, who the hell cares what we chant. Weirder things were sung on the terraces back in the day, just looking for a reaction from the away fans!

It's the one thing (unbelievalbly) i hate about supporting Charlton. The home games are boring and it's such a nice enviroment for other teams and fans to have fun in.

Going to away games such as Southampton and other clubs of similar stature, you look at the fans making it intimidating and loud and you think why can't the valley be like this! Every club has it's stands where not much singing happens, but even the roar when teams like Southampton and Derby ect score is immense, on tv the away fans sound louder than the home fans when they score at the Valley!

It all comes down to having the raw passion, alot of our fans would rather sit there and put on the loud voice when there is moaning to do.
  • [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Swisdom, who the hell cares what we chant. Weirder things were sung on the terraces back in the day, just looking for a reaction from the away fans!

It's the one thing (unbelievalbly) i hate about supporting Charlton. The home games are boring and it's such a nice enviroment for other teams and fans to have fun in.

Going to away games such as Southampton and other clubs of similar stature, you look at the fans making it intimidating and loud and you think why can't the valley be like this! Every club has it's stands where not much singing happens, but even the roar when teams like Southampton and Derby ect score is immense, on tv the away fans sound louder than the home fans when they score at the Valley!

It all comes down to having the raw passion, alot of our fans would rather sit there and put on the loud voice when there is moaning to do.

Well said mate, spot on and so true.
  • edited November 2010
    Well I guess Its just us boys in the covered end and whoever is up in the other stands have the true passion ;-)