Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What about a reminisce/ club history page on the official site or maybe on here?

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
I had a look at the Pompey website last week, and noticed they had a history of the club together with details of some of their former players. They also had a trivia facts page about the club which was quite interesting to read.
Having really enjoyed reading that sort of stuff on a lot of Home and Away's threads and others, just wondered if there is any mileage in the club doing this, Henry, or indeed maybe something on here?
Oggy Red and loads of people on here have got some great stories, and excellent memories of games, many of these games are not available on old footage, so only live in people's minds. These will be lost unless they are recorded somewhere.
And it is easy to miss gems unless you go through every thread.
So maybe a page where people can write a fans' history of the club?
Maybe there is something and I just haven't seen it. There used to be a nostalgia CAFC club a few years back, and some of their stories were great like when the fog descended on a Charlton Chelsea game and Sam Bartram did not realise the game had been abandoned, and stayed out there till someone came and got him!That sort of stuff even if half legend is always great to read.
Any mileage in this?

Comments

• Options
    Funny, I have a few ideas in the works which addresses much of what you say. Hush hush for now.

Don't forget though, for the time being, on here you can search for topics you're interested in or, for example, for topics/comments by people you enjoy reading, like Home and Away.
  • Options
    Ages ago, I was talking with someone at the club (who's now left) about doing a centenary thing along those lines (a fans' history), but the idea didn't get anywhere for various reasons.

There's definitely mileage in something like this, but it needs lots of time and effort. I think a group of older fans still meets regularly in the Rose of Denmark Age Exchange place in Blackheath Village - we need to record their memories before it's too late.
  • Options
    Great shout, 3 blokes....... Colin Cameron, for example, produces all the stats.......and Home & Away selects an intriguing match from the past. But, invariably, these cannot be more than 'dry' statistics.

All I've done is pass on a few impressions to give a flavour of the match, highlight some of the characters behind the old players names, and some of the quirkiness of following CAFC over the years.

In my case,it's all done by memory without checking stats.....and sometimes my howler of remembering Johnny Haynes scoring twice against Charlton in that 5-3 win over Fulham in 68/69, shows that human memory is not always as infalliable as we would like to think.

Somewhere amongst a trunkload of old programmes in the attic, I've got a copy of that nostalgia club booklet.
    I'll look for it soon - it's got some facinating stuff written by old fella's during the exile years, referring back to pre-war and 50's stuff and later.

We definitely need some archive of personal impressions to go along with the stats records.