Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Semedo and Racon contracts

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Just having a bit of a think, both these players are playing very well at the moment, but both are out of contract in the summer, and could I think talk to other clubs in Janurary? We need these players if we go up, and even more so in my opinion if we don't. With Christmas approaching, I just wonder if we can show them how much we appreciate them with a few shirt sales, with either "Semedo" or "Racon" printed on the back? It may swing their decision to resign for us, it may not, but worth ago. The club will get some extra money too. I know money is tight for every one these days but maybe, as in my case you could ask a couple of family members to club together for an xmas gift?
I'm going for Semedo, whose with me?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: eldavide[/cite]Just having a bit of a think, both these players are playing very well at the moment, but both are out of contract in the summer, and could I think talk to other clubs in Janurary? We need these players if we go up, and even more so in my opinion if we don't. With Christmas approaching, I just wonder if we can show them how much we appreciate them with a few shirt sales, with either "Semedo" or "Racon" printed on the back? It may swing their decision to resign for us, it may not, but worth ago. The club will get some extra money too. I know money is tight for every one these days but maybe, as in my case you could ask a couple of family members to club together for an xmas gift?
    I'm going for Semedo, whose with me?

They can talk to clubs from the continent in January. Clubs in England will have to wait til 3 months before contract expiry. That's how it works on Football Manager anyway :)

It's very difficult to assess how much a player would be disrupted by these sort of contract talks. I'd like to think both would remain professional and work hard for us even if they were moving on at the end of their contract. We did give them their break in England and they've earned an absolute fortune from us over the past 3 seasons as well!

Although I commend your suggestion to support Semedo/Racon, I don't think names on shirts is going to make a difference.
  • Im sure i saw Racon walk off the pitch vs yeovil kissing the badge, so he must enjoy playing for us.
  • I thought he was wiping the sweat from his head!
  • Racon is clearly enjoying his name being chanted by the covered end.

Alot of contracts in the football league are 1 or 2 year contracts now, if we go up they'll probably get new deals and stay and they'll deserve them deals.

Can see there being a similar situation this summer as this one with only a few players contracted before the start of pre season if we're not promoted though
  • I really think these two are good enough to play top Championship football, and I just hope it will be with us. Looking at our squad right now, it's obvious that if promotion was to occur, then the midfield is one area we won't need much upgrading. Jackson, Racon, Semedo, Reid, Wagstaff and Martin would all fit in easily, but I fear that our defence would need significant changes, and we would probably need another striker or two with the ability to score in the Championship. All in all, I think we would struggle slightly, but with investment, the extra TV money and of course the winning mentality I see no reason why we can't get promoted and slowly turn this clubs recent history around
  • I think the key wil be us getting promoted. If we don't we will obviously lose them both - If we do I fully expect them to stay. Promotion is so important to us - I can really see this team developing but failiure this turn will leave us having to go back to square 1 or square 2 at best.
  • [cite]Posted By: SE23[/cite]why dont we get some shirts with bent on them? might persuade him to re sighn for us

People might get the wrong idea walking round with that on the back of your shirt, seeing as we don't actually have anyone by that name at the club!

Could be in allot of trouble at Brighton away.
  • the answer will probably simply boil down to; If we go up we can afford to oofer them a decent contract. Don't go up the offer will be low and they'll be off. Same as sam last year basically
  • The pink t shirts with Bent on them that were sold outside the ground may have been a trifle misjudged.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]the answer will probably simply boil down to; If we go up we can afford to oofer them a decent contract. Don't go up the offer will be low and they'll be off. Same as sam last year basically

Judging by the contracts they're rumoured to be on, I'm guessing it would be unlikely we'd be able to offer them equal terms. However, they may not be able to get a better contract elsewhere so might be happy to stay on reduced terms if we get promoted.

I certainly wouldn't class them as a 'top Championship' standard duo, but they're playing very well at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• At a higher level after identifying their worth to us, I would think we could come to a financial arrangement. The cost of keeping them would need to be comapred to the potential cost of replacing them. Of course if we fail to go up - Unfortunately, there is no question that we could offer them the sort of contract needed to keep them.
  • [cite]Posted By: SE23[/cite]why dont we get some shirts with bent on them? might persuade him to re sighn for us

I wouldn't take a chance in case the wrong one turned up.

Tbh I don't think we could afford to keep either of them if we don't go up.
  • Don't forget it is not that long ago that Murray was talking about off loading 2 of youga, Racon and Semedo because they were on too high wages, they were signed by Pardew so they will be on contracts that will not be sustainable in this division in the future
  • Still no contracts for either of them!!
  • [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]Still no contracts for either of them!!

I would have thought that they would not be too interested in contract talks until they have an idea of where the club will be next season. If we are still Div 3 then they may wish to have the option to ply their trade at a higher level.

From our point of view CP may be looking at his squad and each individual before deciding what contract he wants to offer if any. Semedo and Racon are both top end earners at the club, in the case of Racon maybe he is looking for him to justify that
  • At the end of yesterdays game semedo was nearly in tears wen the covered end were singing his name, he thumped his heart and through a fist up towards us, that man is charlton through and through these days, he wont leave unless the board force him.