Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Giles

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Jimmy Giles who played for the Club 1975-77 is at the game tomorrow, Charlton Live are sitting down with him before the game for an interview, any questions for 'Farmer' Giles from you older members? also recorded a cracking interview with Steve Brown Tuesday, a smashing fella with some intersting and hilarious stories.

Comments

• Ask him, "Did you punch the ball in, Maradona style, in a 1-1 draw with Bolton?"
  • Just tell him along with Killer he is my favourite all time Charlton player, when I was a kid and played footy at the park, if I was in defence, I was Jimmy Giles, everyone else wanted to be Jackie Charlton or Beckenbauer, but I knew better!!!

Oh Jimmy Jimmy, Jimmy Jimmy,Jimmy Jimmy, Jimmy Giles!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What was it like playing alongside Les Berry?
  • Just been doing research, seems a character and an old school Centre Half, cheers for the questions, it always adds a nice touch to have questions from fans, keep em coming.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Just been doing research, seems a character and an old school Centre Half, cheers for the questions, it always adds a nice touch to have questions from fans, keep em coming.

He was an old fashioned centre half.

Not much finesse but courageous, physical and usually effective. If memory serves me right he would have played alongside Dave Young when he first arrived at the Club. I think he effectively replaced Bobby Goldthorpe. Les Berry would have started out a year or so later and at right back although I can also remember him at centre half alongside the good Farmer hence my question above.
  • Ask Jimmy how far he hit me out of the ground for six when he played for Kenn CC in Devon. Jimmy Giles was a very good cricketer - I think he played for Worcestershire 2nd XI.
  • Was centre half in first ever Charlton game I saw- 1-1 draw with Millwall at the Den - I think 1975. Was the player from that game I rememebr most - he played very well or at least the young boy watching thought so!
  • He played in my first ever game too alongside David Young with Penfold and Warman as full backs. Great character. Think he used to manage Yeovil.
  • One of my early hero's.

No messing, if it moved kick it.
  • My Dad (Dave Storry) says he was good, so he must have been ; )
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember a game at Chelsea I think, where Jimmy was announced as Jimmy Siles. I asked him about it after the game and he said he didn't mind the SILES as long as it wasn't a 'P' instead :-)
  • He still commentates on the Exeter games for Radio Devon, watched him many times before he moved to Charlton and then after he cameback. It was just sad the way his career ended at Exeter. Not sure if he had regrets.
  • [cite]Posted By: dj-ecfc[/cite]He still commentates on the Exeter games for Radio Devon, watched him many times before he moved to Charlton and then after he cameback. It was just sad the way his career ended at Exeter. Not sure if he had regrets.

What happened?
  • When Exeter played Charlton in the cup back in 2003, this article appeared and explained the walkout and also has some interesting comments from him. Basically he was dropped for cup tie at Newcastle when we were on a good cup run.

Whttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2393682/Dream-draw-for-Farmer-Giles-reaps-a-harvest-of-memories.htmlhen

I hear him on the radio and that is not often now that I am in Charlton but he speaks well of both clubs.
  • Sorry error with link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2393682/Dream-draw-for-Farmer-Giles-reaps-a-harvest-of-memories.html
  • Great man, solid defender.
  • He was generally regarded as being the best centre half in the lower leagues when we bought him, and he didn't disappoint.
    Very mobile and he had a good eye for goal. I think he played in the 3-2 win at Stamford Bridge with killer getting a brace. May have been Alan Dugdale's debut ?
  • Loved Him:
    He was in my alltime CAFC XI when asked in 1991...............
  • Boys recorded a good interview with him this afternoon, will be on next weeks show - Not tomorrow - Steve Brown on tomorrow
  • Will there be a internet link
  • Sponsored links:

• DJ, thanks for link to old Giles interview. He was in our side when I started watching Charlton in mid 70's. Always keep an eye out for Exeter's results having lived just round corner from the real SJP in late 90's (Gittens/Rico/Flack era), still on gnet also. Great to see city doing so well with support from supporters trust and an inspired mangerial appointment in Paul Tisdale. Kinda reminds me of a plucky team from SE London who always used to punched above their weight, when things started to come together for us in the early 90's!!
  • Jimmy was very helpful on Saturday, good interview, will take a little while to edit as he tends to use the odd anglo saxon word... and LawrieAbrahams he answers your question truthfully and also tells about meeting Peter Reid several years later, who was in the bolton team on that day, very funny and thats where most of the swearing occurs!
    We hope to broadcast it this Sunday then a week later it should fingers cross be available on itunes as a podcast!