Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plymouth winding up order

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Another winding up order

As a Exeter fan and more importantly a football fan I wish the fans of the club all best.

I do not want to see any club go under, despite them being our nearest rivals.

All football fans should help each other.

Would Charlton fans really wanted Palace to go to the wall.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Not so much palace but definately millwall
  • [cite]Posted By: dj-ecfc[/cite]Another winding up order

As a Exeter fan and more importantly a football fan I wish the fans of the club all best.

I do not want to see any club go under, despite them being our nearest rivals.

All football fans should help each other.

Would Charlton fans really wanted Palace to go to the wall.

Any thoughts?

Yep - then atleast one of them would have to drop points. ;-)

Nah just kidding, I'd much rather see them drop a league or two than go bust.
  • BBC article

It's a winding-up petition, not an order.

Worrying for them that Peter Ridsdale is the supposed knight in shining armour.
  • Interesting with Saturday in mind and Luton and dropping into non league

Do we have sympathy with the Luton supporters
  • No because then we would have no rivals.
  • Yes. Although I suspect they would still find some way to feel smug about going out of business.
  • A shame. No I wouldn't want any club to go under. Except franchise.
  • Argyle are my nearest League club, and apart from the usual plastic 'Sky 4' supporters, nearly everyone down here is rooting for Argyle even though they might not go regularly.

Less than 5,000 on a bitterly cold Tuesday night against star-studded Dagenham isn't a true reflection of the potential of this club - just a reflection of how disheartened Argyle supporters are at the moment after a few seasons of crap football and relegation. A good successful run and the supporters will have their passion reignited.

Plymouth is a big city - nearly 300,000 people and 1 million in it's commute to work catchment area.

The club need to keep going - the locals would be devastated if they lost it.
  • [cite]Posted By: SECAFC[/cite]Not so much palace but definately millwall

this
  • I have a bad feeling about this one. The HMRC wont let go with their pursuit of football clubs at the moment and eventually they will get in front of a judge that is sympathetic to their cause and a club will go under.

Plymouth are unlikely to attract the media attention of other clubs suffering and my fear is that this could be the win the HMRC are craving. I don't want it to happen but the sad fact is if clubs keep on spending far too much money eventually one of them will fail.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is'nt Home Park one of the grounds selected as part of the World Cup bid?
  • [cite]Posted By: dj-ecfc[/cite]Interesting with Saturday in mind and Luton and dropping into non league

Do we have sympathy with the Luton supporters

Luton supporters have my every sympathy. They live in Luton FFS!
  • [cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]Is'nt Home Park one of the grounds selected as part of the World Cup bid?

Believe so.

Although Argyle is a club with a large potential, didn't Holloway cite fan base apathy as one of the reasons for leaving.

I was with an Insolvency Practitioner group reently and they were saying that HMRC are gunning for football, they have still to hav the case heard over clubs being able to put football debts ahead of all others and there is a strong sense that HMRC will win.
  • [cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]Is'nt Home Park one of the grounds selected as part of the World Cup bid?

Yes, but even if England win the bid, it won't automatically mean that Home Park will be a World Cup venue. FIFA will decide that in 2013. On paper, the two weakest bid cities are Plymouth and Milton Keynes.

Argyle seem to be too much potential, not enough actual. Last year Sir Roy Gardner promised a 5 year plan to take them to the Premier League, based on the potential,but two winding-up petitions for unpaid taxes since they were picked as a 2018 bid city tells its own story.

IF we do want to get Seip on a long-term deal, this could mean we'd get him much cheaper or maybe for free, just so they can reduce their wage bill.
  • Didn't their chairman spend some time with us when we were in the PL to see how the club had been built up?
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Luton supporters have my every sympathy. They live in Luton FFS!

most of the luton fans at the valley tomorrow live in london , it's the only explanation for any team bringing over 400 fans to the valley
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Didn't their chairman spend some time with us when we were in the PL to see how the club had been built up?

yeah chief executive or something did a swap with steve sunderland , there was a link on here recently to that program
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Didn't their chairman spend some time with us when we were in the PL to see how the club had been built up?[/quote]

think so, rings a bell seeing a feature on it on football focus or somewhere similar
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Didn't their chairman spend some time with us when we were in the PL to see how the club had been built up?

Their chairman used to be chairman of Man Utd, and he became Chairman of PAFC in July of last year.

Not sure if the Chief Executive from then is still around down there
  • Sponsored links:

• Living down here in Sunny 'kin frrrrrreeeeeeeezing Cornwall, the local TV BBC news ran a feature last night on Argyle's plight.

And they illustrated the story with film of the teams running out at a recent Argyle home match against .......Charlton!

There was Chris Dailly leading our lads from the tunnel resplendent in red, with plenty of views of the Charlton players lined up shaking hands and the game kicking off.

Didn't quite expect to see Charlton feature on Local Yokel BBC news!
  • A real shame that another club is in trouble... but cynically... how do we fancy grabbing BWP on the cheap?
  • edited December 2010
    WSC - http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/5997/38/

2 December ~ Resurgam – meaning “I will rise again” – is carved into the heart of Plymouth. The inscription was fashioned in granite above the main entrance of the city’s St Andrew’s Church to symbolise the rebirth necessary after the destruction of the Second World War. Today, as St Andrew’s stands opposite the newer, very 21st-century cathedral of a chain pub, it is the city’s football club that is most in need of a phoenix-like revival. Argyle have never been one of football’s sleeping giants: indeed, to paraphrase Harry Pearson, neither do they fit into the category of “a fairly big bloke having a nap”.

Yet a succession of managers over the last two decades, from Peter Shilton to Neil Warnock to Paul Sturrock and now Peter Reid, have talked about the catchment area of the club and the opportunities to make the club more than just, as was oft quoted as teams emerged onto the pitch at Home Park, “the best in the West”. That potential was never fully realised despite seven years of unprecedented success under Sturrock in his first reign at the club; his second was the catalyst for what looks likely to be a similarly swift return to the basement, or worse.

Argyle aren’t new in having big financial worries but as our travails are somewhat old hat, so is the proposed solution. When Peter Ridsdale was spotted in the directors’ box at a recent home game, we were told that he was on holiday in the area and fancied taking in a game. When he was seen again at our next game, away at Oldham, the fans were told that it was just a coincidence. Not so now. We know that Ridsdale has been engaged in “talks” with the newest incarnation of the Argyle board, the ones who took over with much fanfare (and, let it be said, with much support from the fans) with the refrain “Sir Roy [Gardner, the former Manchester United chairman] doesn’t do failure”. Well, that has changed.

The stark choice of Peter Ridsdale or your team going under is not a pleasant one to contemplate. Whatever happens to Argyle, whether it’s administration, a limping survival until we know the outcome of whether Plymouth is to be a host city for World Cup 2018 (for that bonanza, some say, is the sole reason the present board invested in the first place), or utter oblivion, it’s of some comfort to think of two things. Firstly, Michael Foot isn’t around to see what’s happened to our club; and secondly, that if Ridsdale comes on to the board and we go into administration or worse, it would be his second “insolvency episode”, and he would under the Football League regulations fail the Fit and Proper Persons test. I can’t think of a better Christmas present that Argyle could give football, but I’d rather we didn’t have to. Gareth Nicholson
  • Would it be Ridsdale's second insolvency episode? Leeds went into administration under Bates. Were Cardiff insolvent before they were taken over? I know they were very badly run and had a series of winding up petitions, but I don't think they actually went pop. I doubt the people in charge of Wednesday (before Mandaric) have a black mark against their copybook despite the judge saying the club was insolvent.
  • Today's annoucement about the World Cup will not help the Pilgrim's cause.

I had thought the promise of holding World Cup games would men that they would be an attractive proposition to be taken over , I'm not so sure now.
  • From BBC See highlighted part near end

Court gives Plymouth Argyle time to clear tax bill

Plymouth Argyle have been given two months by a High Court judge to clear their debts with HM Revenue & Customs.

The club and a related company, Home Park Properties, were facing winding-up petitions over a tax debt of £760,000.

They asked for 56 days' grace at Wednesday's hearing, but were given 63 by the registrar.

The club told the court they are in the process of refinancing and also have an investor who is ready to put £500,000 into the cash-strapped outfit.

They also claimed that the tax bill of £760,000 is too high and they can make payments to bring it down to £280,000 in January.

The board and its advisors are continuing to work through a number of potential answers in order to put the club on a sound financial footing

Plymouth Argyle club statement

The club said they have £140,000 available in a bank account to help clear the debt, and that they are owed £48,000 by the Football League, which will be paid directly to HMRC.

Further funds could be raised by the sale of Argyle players during the January transfer window.

Following the hearing, a statement on the club's website said: "The board and its advisors are continuing to work through a number of potential answers in order to put the club on a sound financial footing.

"We are advised not to make any further comment at this time.

"When we have anything more to say we will advise you."

After being presented with the winding-up petition on 23 October, the club's bank account was frozen, leading to the non-payment of both playing and office staff at Argyle in November.

The club will now seek a validation order from the courts to un-freeze their bank account and allow payments to be made.

The club recorded a £2.8m loss for the 2008/09 financial year and were previously issued with a winding-up order for unpaid tax by HMRC last season.

On the pitch, Argyle sit 17th in League One, three points above the relegation zone, and just 4,960 fans watched them beat Dagenham & Redbridge 2-1 in their last game, their lowest gate of the season.

So off load a certain defender to free up wages perhaps
  • I hope the club survive for the surporters sake.

I will there on Saturday, what a difference four years make in football, we were non-league and they were going well in the championship
  • edited December 2010
    Crystal Palace are not our nearest rivals