Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

One aim and one priority ! Promotion

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I realise some people will be looking for a win on Saturday. They will then be preying for a big draw in the 3rd round ! Likewise they will probably be looking to beat Brentford and progress to Wembley !

Well I for one couldn't care less about the cups this season. As much as winning any game we play is desirable and a defeat to a non league club at The Valley would be considered a disaster, it is not a competition we are going to win is It ?

Any injuries sustained on Saturday or red cards or even bookings will have a detrimental effect on our promotion challenge.

Promotion from this crap division is our one and only priority this season. Or am I wrong ? I don't think so.

So, on Saturday, rest all players with injury doubts and play the fringe players. We will struggle against Luton. Why ? well you just know we will, that's Charlton.

One aim, one priority, win promotion and stuff the cups.

Come on Charlton, we might get Man U in the 3rd Round !!! Nice if it happens but if we are still in this division next season then the experience will be quickly forgotten.

Comments

• Promotion without a doubt has to be the number one priority I agree.

That said, given our finances, the chance of unbudgeted bunce from a 3rd round tie cannot be sneezed at. On paper we have a winnable home match against a non-league club. In practice this is a cup and it is Charlton!
  • FA Cup Prize Fund 2010/2011

First Round Proper winners (40) £18,000
    Second Round Proper winners (20) £27,000
    Third Round Proper winners (32) £67,500
    Fourth Round Proper winners (16) £90,000
    Fifth Round Proper winners (8) £180,000
    Sixth Round Proper winners (4) £360,000
    Semi Final winners (2) £900,000
    Semi Final runners-up (2) £450,000
    Final winners (1) £1,800,000
    Final runners-up (1) £900,000
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]FA Cup Prize Fund 2010/2011

First Round Proper winners (40) £18,000
    Second Round Proper winners (20) £27,000
    Third Round Proper winners (32) £67,500
    Fourth Round Proper winners (16) £90,000
    Fifth Round Proper winners (8) £180,000
    Sixth Round Proper winners (4) £360,000
    Semi Final winners (2) £900,000
    Semi Final runners-up (2) £450,000
    Final winners (1) £1,800,000
    Final runners-up (1) £900,000
    It's gate receipts where the small clubs make their money from in big FA Cup games.
  • Live broadcast fee of £72,000 per club in the 2nd round proper. A win this saturday and a live tv game in the 3rd round plus gate receipts. Not to be sneezed it, if it happened.
  • With the Final winners picking up £1.8m just in prize money, we should really be looking to win this competition.
  • whats the earnings from the JPT?
  • [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]With the Final winners picking up £1.8m just in prize money, we should really be looking to win this competition.

Agree.

Our focus should be on winning the Cup.
  • Promotion is temporary; a cup win is forever.
  • If we dont win the Fa cup this year by winning the final 4-0
    i think Parky will have to go,
    so would the whole team just wouldnt be good enough for us
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Promotion is temporary; a cup win is forever.

Promotion is more important though.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Promotion is temporary; a cup win is forever.

Promotion is more important though.

Why so negative?

Cup glory is the most important thing this season.
  • If I had to choose one, I'd choose promotion. But if we can get a good Cup run going, I certainly wouldn't say no!
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]With the Final winners picking up £1.8m just in prize money, we should really be looking to win this competition.

Then we'd have the cash to sack parky :-)
  • Europa League here we come.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: SECAFC[/cite]whats the earnings from the JPT?[/quote]
    50p plus enough paint to do home AND away dressing rooms....
  • Home and away? Are you sure about that.
  • problem with cup runs is the hangover after being knocked out ... losing to Ipswich in '81 (they were 2nd in 1st division and we were chasing promotion back to 2nd at first attempt) was a good day out and no problem... anything that helps the transfer fund for January has to be welcome... and no one has mentioned the TV money if we are shown live
  • Sorry but the opener to this thread is short sighted.

Firstly this club is greatly in need of fresh cash which it can generate from a good cup run.
    Secondly it has been proven time and again that clubs having a cup run still get promoted. Leeds example of last year.
    Thirdly only new cash will give us any chance of improving the squad and bring in new players either on-loan or possible signings for January. Which means the cup is a positive not a negative.

Then there is the fan base, a cup run brings media attention and interest back to supporters that have stopped coming so again it could help our league attendancies during that time, more new cash.

I don't think the board would share your view. I certainly don't.
  • Fully agree with StrikerFirmani.

The prospect of going out to a non-league team two years in a row is dreadful. Last year was the first time ever, and there would be a big adverse effect on both player and fans morale.

It would also be interesting to seehow the current squad matches up against a mid table or lower Championship side. It might give some of the players a jolt, which would be positive.
  • Of course the main priority is to get out of this dreadful league. BUT never seen the harm of a decent cup run, problem is I only go back 50 years so my memory is begging to fail.......

Do we have the worst FA cup record in the football league. Must be one of the worst.

I remember the ashen face of curbs at our exit at Gillingham a few years back, I was attached to bbc sport at the time.

Tony Gubba, said afterwards 'he looked shocked' .

The whole point of cup games is for the smaller teams to compete against the bigger clubs, trouble is you have to compete, which I have considerable reservations that we have done so in the past.

If we have ! god help us.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Last time we got promoted we had a decent cup run. Can only be a good thing to keep winning games. Promotion and cup run doesn't have to be an either-or choice.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]Sorry but the opener to this thread is short sighted.

Firstly this club is greatly in need of fresh cash which it can generate from a good cup run.
    Secondly it has been proven time and again that clubs having a cup run still get promoted. Leeds example of last year.
    Thirdly only new cash will give us any chance of improving the squad and bring in new players either on-loan or possible signings for January. Which means the cup is a positive not a negative.

Then there is the fan base, a cup run brings media attention and interest back to supporters that have stopped coming so again it could help our league attendancies during that time, more new cash.

The Leeds example isn't great - they went on a bad streak after beating Man U and we nearly caught them but you are right they did go up.

Parky has said that getting through the next rounds FA and JPT will give funds for a loan signing in January so our promotion prospects are linked with cup prospects
  • Last time we were promoted from the third division didn't we have a cup run as well; winning is winning and habits are hard to break aren't they
  • We are Charlton...

And this year I just get the feeling we are gonna get a big tie and collect a load of cash...

and the knock on is that if we had chelsea at the Valley for example we would get a 20k plus crowd and all the weak un loyal softies might, just might come back for the second half of the season and boost the crowds by 500 -1000 , maybe...

particualry if we put on a decent display against one of the bigger clubs, I have changed my tune from last year, BECAUSE of the confidence I have in this group of players, with Jacko giving us the balance we have missed for several years and if we can get Smoking Joe to stay fit I have confidence we could give a few championship teams a decent game...

For the first time in years if we make it to the third round I would be well excited by the draw...

Bring on the BIG guns...
  • Not getting excited till IF we beat Luton, but buzzing for a big away tie. With our luck we'd get another lower league banana skin home tie.. but I'd 100% take Arsenal away or home, watching Wagstaff tear Wilshere and co. apart. ;o)

The league is the priority, but the reason teams win the triple, quadruple etc. in a year is because of that winning mentality, imagine the buzz for the players fighting for their place one week to play against Man Utd in the next!

We lose to Luton, eyes on the league and JPT only, we win, let's hope for a BIG tie, draw.. then, another tiring game for the players.
  • [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]Sorry but the opener to this thread is short sighted.

The Leeds example isn't great - they went on a bad streak after beating Man U and we nearly caught them but you are right they did go up.

Parky has said that getting through the next rounds FA and JPT will give funds for a loan signing in January so our promotion prospects are linked with cup prospects

We went out the cup in the first round yet our form wasn't any better than Leeds.
    There are plenty of other examples of teams that had good cup runs and got promoted if one wants to look back.

The main point though is that the club suffers financially which in turns hinders future potential player additions and our going out of the competition didn't enhance our promotion chances as proven at the end of last season.
  • The FA Cup is a major competition and should always be taken seriously.

The JPT is a ridiculous competition; in my opinion even winning it brings no honour. Do you even make much money?

I fail to see why people always come out with the cliché 'well, it's a trip to Wembley' / 'it would be nice to go to Wembley' etc etc. If you want to go to Wembley go and do the tour, go and watch and England game, or go and watch a play-off final as a neutral. Better still, just wait until we eventually get there in something meaningful. I'd rather wait 50 more years to go to Wembley if necessary.

If we get to the final of the JPT I won't be going. I've never been to a JPT match and never will.

Given the choice I'd rather ANY FA Cup 3rd round match than a JPT Final.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]If we get to the final of the JPT I won't be going. I've never been to a JPT match and never will.

Given the choice I'd rather ANY FA Cup 3rd round match than a JPT Final.

Kind of understand where you are coming from, but no way would I miss a Charlton game at Wembley ... your approach is why we were so outnumbered at Wembley when we played Blackburn in Full Members Cup final ... which we lost ... and we didn't score ...but it was still at Wembley and a team like us will have too few chances to be at Wembley in my lifetime.
  • Not exactly because I went to that 1987 Final.
    That was for the league's top two divisions, this competition is for the lower two divisions.
    We are historically a top two division team and as such this competition is quite literally beneath us. Even taking part in this competition is an embarrassment. Getting to the final would just highlight that.

As you say, a team like us will have few chances to play at Wembley but surely we want those opportunities to mean something. The JPT means nothing and as such devalues a Wembley appearance.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]The FA Cup is a major competition and should always be taken seriously.

The JPT is a ridiculous competition; in my opinion even winning it brings no honour. Do you even make much money?

The winners last year got about the same amount as we'd get in a 'wet your pants with joy' FA Cup draw. The thing is, for every Man Utd in the draw, there's two Wigans.