Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Christmas Postal Scam - beware

This info is circulating through businesses at the mo. One woman has lost £315!!!, so I thought it was worth passing on.

The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel
Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and
that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize. If
you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will
already have been billed £15 for the phone call. If you do receive a card
with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator)

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure it's a urban myth.

EDIT: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/pds-phone-scam.html
  • Still amazed that people don't know this hoax is pants, seems to have been doing the rounds forever. As a server admin I regularly have to trawl through mail gateways to find emails that have been blocked - this one turns up every year like a bad penny. I believe there actually was a scam based around this, but the loophole was closed ages ago.
  • edited November 2010
  • I got emailed by this bloke telling me that his uncle, Earl of Nigeria had died and he needed to get 20 million dollars out of the country, so he wanted to transfer the money into my bank for a couple of days and was going to give me 250 grand for my trouble. I've not heard anything back and I'm getting a bit worried, because all of my overdraft has gone missing. So, other people should beware.
  • if you get an email claiming to be able to increase the size of your tackle, don't get involved, it's a scam
  • Beware, if you get an e-mail from the Prime Minister of Nigeria offering you massive wads of cash.......it might not be THE Prime Minister of Nigeria, but one who is only the Prime Minister of Thamesmead. He might not even give you the cash, either!

Caveat Emptor.
  • I hate all this talk about scams, those people should be shot. By the way , does anybody want to buy a bridge ?
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]if you get an email claiming to be able to increase the size of your tackle, don't get involved, it's a scam
    FFS

You'll be telling me that the three hundred pound administration fee that I sent to Holland because I'd won ten million dollars in the Canadian lottery that I never entered, is somehow a scam, next.
  • Ladies...if someone knocks on your door and asks to feel your boobs it's a scam.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I hate all this talk about scams, those people should be shot. By the way , does anybody want to buy a bridge ?
    LOL - that in itself is a myth as well - the bloke who bought London Bridge knew exactly what he was buying.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I hate all this talk about scams, those people should be shot. By the way , does anybody want to buy a bridge ?[/quote]

yea, do you want to swap it for some speakers?
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Still amazed that people don't know this hoax is pants, seems to have been doing the rounds forever. As a server admin I regularly have to trawl through mail gateways to find emails that have been blocked - this one turns up every year like a bad penny. I believe there actuallywasa scam based around this, but the loophole was closed ages ago.

Just called it and it still works.
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]if you get an email claiming to be able to increase the size of your tackle, don't get involved, it's a scam
    I've already fallen for that one it cost me alot of money. All they do is send you an email saying 'get an erection'
  • Talking of scams i got this warning sent to me today.......Fwd on 2 anyone u know with a mobile. If u get a call from anyone saying that they're a company engineer, or that they're checking ur line, and ask u 2 press #90 or #09 or any no's, end this call without pressing any no's. A fraud company is using a device that once u press #90 or #09 they can access ur 'SIM' card and make calls at ur expense. Fwd message 2 as many people as u can.Phil Corris Policeman /Crime Prevention
  • Anybody stupid enough to fall for these scams deserves what they get. it's the only way they will learn to be less stupid.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Anybody stupid enough to fall for these scams deserves what they get. it's the only way they will learn to be less stupid.
    No that one's another urban myth. There are some pretty vulnerable people in our society. If we had any heart we'd feel sorry for them not blame them for someone else's devious acts.
  • Postal scam chain email – PhonepayPlus’ statement
    17/11/2010

PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, is aware that a chain e-mail about an alleged postal scam is being circulated on the internet. The email refers to the Royal Mail, Trading Standards and ICSTIS (PhonepayPlus' former name).

PhonepayPlus appreciates that recipients of the email may want to find out more information about the alleged scam and has therefore issued the following statement:

The chain email refers to a service (operating on 0906 6611911) that was shut down by PhonepayPlus (then ICSTIS) in December 2005.

PhonepayPlus subsequently fined the company that was operating the service, Studio Telecom (based in Belize), £10,000.

The service is NO LONGER running and has NOT been running since December 2005.

You do NOT need to contact PhonepayPlus, or the Royal Mail, about this service as it was stopped almost four years ago.

If you receive a copy of the email warning you about the alleged scam, please do NOT forward it to others. Instead, please forward this statement from PhonepayPlus.

If you receive a delivery card through your letterbox which you do not believe is genuine and which asks you to dial a premium rate number, you can contact PhonepayPlus on 0800 500 212 (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm) for further guidance.

Please go to http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/FAQ.aspx for useful information about how to recognise phone-paid services and understand what they cost, and some simple tips to help you enjoy using services with confidence.

For more detailed information about PhonepayPlus’ work, please visit www.phonepayplus.org.uk.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Anybody stupid enough to fall for these scams deserves what they get. it's the only way they will learn to be less stupid.

Yeah, I mean who cares about old people, right.
  • edited November 2010
    Been following this thread with interest given it's my line of work. Seems a lot of people have made the assumption that it's only the elderly or vulnerable who get caught out or the "stupid" who deserve to be ripped off. Latest figures I saw were that 3.2 million people fall victim to a scam of some sort every year in the UK i.e. there must be a lot of "stupid" people out there.

What hasn't been mentioned is that there's a scam out there for everyone e.g. do you think it's only the elderly who get done by premier rate text based scams or the 14 year old with her first phone? Is it just the vulnerable who get caught out by boiler room telesales rip offs or the 40 year old looking for a quick return on his (and it usually is a him) investment without doing his research? Is it only pensioners who sign up for some dodgy clairvoyant mailing asking for money or the lonely, 30 year old, outwardly savvy, woman (and it usually is a woman)?

The psychology of mass marketing scams and their victims is really interesting and if you think it's only old Mavis next door that'll ever get ripped off because you're way too smart you couldn't be more wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, I received a call from somebody saying I had one a holiday in a competition. I didn't recall enetring a competition and asked them when I entered. They clearly didn't know and gave a vague answer back - and said - it doesn't amtter when you entered, you won it. I said it did matter to me as it would prove they weren't trying to scam me for time share. They said it wasn't timeshare and my loss and put the phone down on me. touchy!!!

My brother in law is the master of these approaches. If he is the mood he plays the part of the gullable customer and they think all their Christmases have come together. He leads them long for as long as he can making it a competition. When they finally realise, the apparently swear and curse at him.

Also, when he gets the religeous fanatics at the door, he politely informs them that he is sorry but the household worships the all powerful lord lucifer Satan which seems to do the trick -they quickly depart.
  • edited November 2010
    I've just checked phoneypayplus, and they're a scam. Don't go on their website as it wastes valuable bytes and bits, sending the carbon footprint up.

I never get caught out by scams, apart from when I almost bought a rug from Ocean Auctions cos he said it was a Liberty design from Iran. Honestly I always thought I was sharper than that, could have kicked myself ten minutes later when I realised putting a price tag on something probably means it's worth nowhere near that. It's great to realise you're a universal dunce with the majority. As John Alford said just say No.
  • @ads

"if you get an email claiming to be able to increase the size of your tackle, don't get involved, it's a scam "

You got one as well? That's a relief. I thought it was just me and someone had blabbed.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Also, when he gets the religeous fanatics at the door, he politely informs them that he is sorry but the household worships the all powerful lord lucifer Satan which seems to do the trick -they quickly depart.
    I wasnt aware the prince of darkness had a first name and a surname. I always thought he was like Cher, or Pele. Just tell him to come to the door smeared in goats' blood - that generally does the trick, and usually more quickly.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Still amazed that people don't know this hoax is pants, seems to have been doing the rounds forever. As a server admin I regularly have to trawl through mail gateways to find emails that have been blocked - this one turns up every year like a bad penny. I believe there actuallywasa scam based around this, but the loophole was closed ages ago.

Just called it and it still works.

From Saigon? Come on, give up with the bs.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Anybody stupid enough to fall for these scams deserves what they get. it's the only way they will learn to be less stupid.

Yeah, I mean who cares about old people, right.

And all old people are stupid right.
  • It was you who said only stupid people fall for these scams, I was simply highlighting a group of vunrable people that could get caught out by scams, without being "stupid".