Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ray Wilkins leaves Chelsea

Chelsea have announced they are not renewing the contract of assistant manager Ray Wilkins and that he is to leave the club with immediate effect.

Wilkins, 54, joined Chelsea's coaching staff for a second time in 2008 to work under Luiz Felipe Scolari.

He stayed when Guus Hiddink came in and remained when Carlo Ancelotti was named manager ahead of the 2009-2010 season.

Chelsea's chief executive Ron Gourlay said: "I would like to thank Ray for everything he has done for Chelsea."

He added: "We all wish him well for the future."

No reason has been given for the decision not to renew the contract of Wilkins.

Comments

• Not a sideways move then.
  • ... and rumours that Poyet will replace him ... but I can't see that happening
  • It's a strange one - nobody at Chelsea seems to have a bad word to say about him, in fact quite the reverse.
  • edited November 2010
    No one in the world has a bad word to say about Butch, he's a very nice man. However that is about it. He's got away with it for over 30 years as a player, pundit and "coach". I'm sure you won't hear him complaining.
    We all know a Butch in life, whether at school, work or playing sport. Everyones mate, especially the teacher, boss, captain or manager. Doesn't upset anyone. You always employ or pick a Butch for your team becasue....well you know he's a really nice bloke and everyone like him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]No one in the world has a bad word to say about Butch, he's a very nice man. However that is about it. He's got away with it for over 30 years as a player, pundit and "coach". I'm sure you won't hear him complaining.
    We all know a Butch in life, whether at school, work or playing sport. Everyones mate, especially the teacher, boss, captain or manager. Doesn't upset anyone. You always employ or pick a Butch for your team becasue....well you know he's a really nice bloke and everyone like him.

Now I know why you needed me on tour. There's me thinking it was because I could play cricket!
  • You were good at organising the card schools as well. Don't put yourself down.
  • Loved his Tango advert from a few years ago. Smashing Ralph.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]No one in the world has a bad word to say about Butch, he's a very nice man. However that is about it. He's got away with it for over 30 years as a player, pundit and "coach". I'm sure you won't hear him complaining.

As a player he played for a few top teams, I think he would know a thing or two about football and not just get picked for being a nice bloke
  • Millwall reject

Can Dan Roan start a 'Poyet to Chelsea' rumour?
  • He should be the asstistant to holloway at blackpool........The Tango's ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to train one of his kids & I cheekily asked if he would present my Sunday team player of the year award one week. He duly turned up the following week & did it top top bloke!
  • Nothing wrong with being a nice bloke. Played at the top level in two different countries and fluent in Italian. Maybe a job for him under Capello.
  • Ray Wilkins is an absolute legend.

Once saw him talk for ages to a group of England fans at an airport bar, and insist on buying them all a drink before he left for his flight.

Also check out his reasoned debate on Youtube to a bunch of moronic Millwall fans, as they chant and holler about Dennis Wise, and how they could have beatan Man United in the FA Cup Final if they had played more positively!

He handled them all with good grace and intelligence, and wiped the floor with them with his footballing knowledge (although admittedly that probably wasn't that difficult given his audience).
  • [cite]Posted By: Kenny Achampong[/cite]Ray Wilkins is an absolute legend.

Once saw him talk for ages to a group of England fans at an airport bar, and insist on buying them all a drink before he left for his flight.

Also check out his reasoned debate on Youtube to a bunch of moronic Millwall fans, as they chant and holler about Dennis Wise, and how they could have beatan Man United in the FA Cup Final if they had played more positively!

He handled them all with good grace and intelligence, and wiped the floor with them with his footballing knowledge (although admittedly that probably wasn't that difficult given his audience).

I just watched that, why on Earth a civilised, intelligent man like Ray Wilkins gave pond scum like that even 5 seconds of his time is a complete mystery to me. He'd have better spent his time talking to his steering wheel, he would certainly have had a more intelligent debate.

Nearly as embarassing as those twats who kept on shouting down Howard Wilkinson the other week when he was trying to explain how he was trying to rescue their club from going under.
  • 'He's a nice bloke.'

Sounds like a future Charlton manager!
  • Called in at half time of the reserve team against Bayern Munich and told his contract would not be renewed at the end of the season.

Amazing timing and no wait to treat him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kenny Achampong[/cite]Ray Wilkins is an absolute legend.Also check out his reasoned debate on Youtube to a bunch of moronic Millwall fans, as they chant and holler about Dennis Wise, and how they could have beatan Man United in the FA Cup Final if they had played more positively! He handled them all with good grace and intelligence, and wiped the floor with them with his footballing knowledge (although admittedly that probably wasn't that difficult given his audience).

Never been a massive fan of his but he has gone way up in my estimation after watching the way he handled those Spanners fans ... good for him.
  • Ray Wilkins has settled his contract dispute with Chelsea following his abrupt departure from the Stamford Bridge club

Carlo Ancelotti's former assistant made an unexpected exit from his post earlier this month after the Premier League champions elected not to renew his contract, which was due to expire at the end of the season.

The Blues legend later confirmed he was seeking legal advice over the situation over what he described as an "undoubtedly unfair dismissal".

But following discussions between the parties, the League Managers Association revealed that the matter had now been settled.

A statement on the LMA website read: "The League Managers Association (LMA) can confirm that Ray Wilkins MBE and Chelsea Football Club have amicably resolved all outstanding matters in relation to his recent departure from the club on November 11th, 2010."

The former England international was widely respected by the players at Stamford Bridge and his exit coincided with a worrying slump in form for Ancelotti's side.

Big wrench
    The Blues have taken just one point from the three Premier League games in the wake of Wilkins' departure, but he has wished his former employers every success.

Wilkins said: "It has obviously been a big wrench leaving such an illustrious club and one which has played such a huge role in my playing and coaching career.

"I have great affection for the club, the staff, the players and its supporters and wish them all the very best for the remainder of this season and the future.

"I would also like to thank the club and the LMA for ensuring that matters have been brought to a swift and harmonious conclusion."

And LMA chief executive Richard Bevan added: "All parties are delighted that an agreement has been reached in a cordial and professional manner.

"I am sure that a manager of Ray's experience will be back involved in a managerial or coaching capacity soon
  • sounds like a trouble maker to me, looking to sue his former employer and all that. no one will hire someone like that will they?