Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AFC Wimbledon -

does anyone know any old school wimbledon supporters?

i'm in the early stages of a media piece and need some input from a few life long fans.

Comments

• June Whitfield
  • "Life long" fans of Wimbledon? You mean the ones who upped sticks and set up their own tawdry little club, when the going got tough, rather than fight, organise and battle to secure the future of their club when they were stuck, in a rut, at Selhurst?

If our fans had done the same, we'd all be watching Woolwich United now, instead of the club some of us fought to save.

I cannot understand the sympathy and respect this rotten little club has manged to secure over the years.

AFC Bandwagon? I hope the wheels fall off.
  • Yep, I work with one of the guys who organised it at the start. Whisper me your contact details and I'll pass them on. No idea if he'll be interested or non though!

Personally I think AFC are great. Keep meaning to get down there for a game.
  • Matt Couper is your man.

http://www.mattcouper.webeden.co.uk/#/a-fans-club/4530039230

He wrote the stage play "A Fan's Club".

Whatever your views about MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon, Matt has an insight that goes right back to the start.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]"Life long" fans of Wimbledon? You mean the ones who upped sticks and set up their own tawdry little club, when the going got tough, rather than fight, organise and battle to secure the future of their club when they were stuck, in a rut, at Selhurst?

If our fans had done the same, we'd all be watching Woolwich United now, instead of the club some of us fought to save.

I cannot understand the sympathy and respect this rotten little club has manged to secure over the years.

They did put up a fight and only upped sticks once they knew the club was getting franchised out to milton keynes. Good luck to them.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]"Life long" fans of Wimbledon? You mean the ones who upped sticks and set up their own tawdry little club, when the going got tough, rather than fight, organise and battle to secure the future of their club when they were stuck, in a rut, at Selhurst?

biggest load of bull sh#t i have read today, congratulations
  • I kind of assumed Chizz was being ironic. No comparison between teh move to Selhurst and the move to MK. We remained the same club, they were something entirely different - just the league status was stolen.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]"Life long" fans of Wimbledon? You mean the ones who upped sticks and set up their own tawdry little club, when the going got tough, rather than fight, organise and battle to secure the future of their club when they were stuck, in a rut, at Selhurst?

Couldn't disagree with that more, rubbish.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]"Life long" fans of Wimbledon? You mean the ones who upped sticks and set up their own tawdry little club, when the going got tough, rather than fight, organise and battle to secure the future of their club when they were stuck, in a rut, at Selhurst?

I make you right. 3000 fans for a Premiership match. Regularly more away fans than home. I feel sorry for the proper supporters, but I think that if the vast majority of folk who flap their gums about the plight of Wimbledon had gone and watched their club, this situation would not have arisen.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin
    I make you right. 3000 fans for a Premiership match. Regularly more away fans than home. I feel sorry for the proper supporters, but I think that if the vast majority of folk who flap their gums about the plight of Wimbledon had gone and watched their club, this situation would not have arisen.

That's completely incorrect. When did they ever take more fans away than at home? Certainly not to Charlton, usually around the 1000-1500 mark. The reason they only had 3,000 of their own supporters at home games was because that was pretty much the number of fans they had full stop, unsurprising for a team that was non-League until the late 70's.
    Ridiculous to make any comparisons with Charlton. The part played by our supporters to get the club back to The Valley is rightly recognized as an extraordinary acheivement but may not have been possible had the club not been acquired by a board that shared the same ambition. Wimbledon's owners unfortunately didn't share the same ambition as its fans which left them almost powerless to do anything about it, despite their own efforts to save the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin
    I make you right. 3000 fans for a Premiership match. Regularly more away fans than home. I feel sorry for the proper supporters, but I think that if the vast majority of folk who flap their gums about the plight of Wimbledon had gone and watched their club, this situation would not have arisen.[/cite]
    [cite]

That's completely incorrect. When did they ever take more fans away than at home? Certainly not to Charlton, usually around the 1000-1500 mark. The reason they only had 3,000 of their own supporters at home games was because that was pretty much the number of fans they had full stop, unsurprising for a team that was non-League until the late 70's..[/cite]

Think he meant there were more away fans at Selhurst then Wimbledon fans, and that's before the move was announced. It was a different situation to us though as they had no home to go back to for I think Plough Lane was already a Sainsbury's by then. Personally, AFC is a great story despite my allegience to Bromley meaning I should hate them.
  • Plough Lane was never built on before they left. The MK variety get bigger league crowds (home fans) now in tier 3 than the old lot did in the Prem. As you can probably tell I have little sympathy for their old lot. But plenty of respect for what AFC have done since. Long may it continue, they have more home fans now than they did at plough lane. They will be a league side soon and look forward to the day they play MK, could be interesting, as will FCUM's rise up the leagues.
  • Please don't talk about AFC Wimblies. Only team on my 15 team accumulator to let me down on Saturday. Lost at home to Darlo. Missed out on mega money and I'm still not over it.
  • I'm with Chizz on this one

To me MK Dons are Wimbledon. All they did was up sticks and moved to a new ground, just like 'Boro, Sunderland, Derby, Stoke etc etc................just so happens that their new ground is 100 miles away. Can't argue really - so I ask you ..........how far is too far ?

If RM said tomorrow we were moving to Charlton Park........any arguements ? what about by the 02 ? still in the borough ? - what about to Welling ? - is that now too far ?

Just feel that the Wimbledon fans should have dome more about it at the time - I have driven past Plough Lane a number of time since they left there and only just built houses on the adjacent site about 5 yrs ago..........the dog track site is massive and they really should have moved in there if they couldn't stay in their old ground.
  • Some of you are clearly high and drunk
  • ha ha mk dons are wimbledon thats why they have had their "claim" as fa cup winners taken away and all honours going to merton council,nothing club and our head to head with them mk dons should be changed i dont remember ever losing to them or playing them in the 80s
  • HigHig
    edited November 2010
  • HigHig
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I'm with Chizz on this one

To me MK Dons are Wimbledon. All they did was up sticks and moved to a new ground, just like 'Boro, Sunderland, Derby, Stoke etc etc................just so happens that their new ground is 100 miles away. Can't argue really.

You can't be serious? MKdonalds are not and should not be known as any continuation of Wimbledon. They are a souless club.
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]ha ha mk dons are wimbledon thats why they have had their "claim" as fa cup winners taken away and all honours going to merton council,nothing club and our head to head with them mk dons should be changed i dont remember ever losing to them or playing them in the 80s

Spot on.
  • I had a good chat with a few AFC Wimbledon fans before the pre-season friendly, they all said they were old Wimbledon fans. At the end of the day what difference does it make? AFC are doing alright for themselves and personally I wish them all the best, I hope they make it to the league. Ultimately, we all hate Palace.
  • IAIA
    edited November 2010
    I wonder what the history books will say about AFC Wimbledon. The people involved did what they felt was the only thing they could do after their club was taken away and brought to another city. I don't think they can really be blamed for what they did in the end, but there is a question mark over what exactly happened at Wimbledon to leave the owners feeling there was no option but to move. How did they climb the divisions without many fans? Why did relegation from the Premier League spell the end of the club?

However, the relative success they've had in rising through the leagues since the boycott and new club has been a source of inspiration to other clubs. Chester City (another mess of a club) fans boycotted their club in the end because they felt that getting rid of the owners was more important than keeping the club in existence. While I don't blame AFCW for what Chester City fans did, it's no coincidence. And as a Charlton fan, I worry when any professional football club is wound up or has trouble paying its players, because it can only have a negative impact on our own liabilities, with banks and HMRC less willing to be slightly lenient having seen other clubs.

For anyone who cares, Chester FC are currently in Tier 8, at the top of the division below FCUM (edit- and Halifax).
  • Sponsored links:

• Glikstien threatend to take Charlton Athletic to Milton Keynes in the 60's. With the apathay at the time we might have become MK Athletic.

Good luck to AFC they had no choice but to break away and reform their club. Don't agree with those taking the piss out of them.
  • It's easy.

MK Dons = wrong
    AFC Wimbledon = right

I see. But what's your opinion on it?
  • Golfie you really are a complete plank
  • AFC Wimbledon are Wimbledon. MK Dons are nothing, franchise FC. AFC are entitled to list the '88 cup final win on their club honours, MK aren't. And they hate Palace as much as we (and Brighton, and the spanners) do !
  • AFC Wimbledon hadn't been conceived when Wimbledon won the FA Cup!
  • sadly the fa cup is not afc wimbledons either as they were not invented by then,but most afc wimbledon fans memory of that great day is clear as they were there at wembley,none i would wager were who now claim to be mk dons fans
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite] To me MK Dons are Wimbledon. All they did was up sticks and moved to a new ground, just like 'Boro, Sunderland, Derby, Stoke etc etc................just so happens that their new ground is 100 miles away.

Well to virtually everyone else, AFC Wimbledon are Wimbledon.
    It's not quite that simple, they didn't exactly move down the road did they?
    If it was us and we'd moved there and become MK Athletic, would you have continually gone up there to follow the MK side or stayed down here and got behind AFC Charlton?
  • Do MK Dons hate Palace?
  • Most people hate palace.