Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A View from the Wednesday

Comments

• Options
    That was a good write up i must say, and has really got me fired up for tomorrow! :-) COYR!
  • Options
    i thing though i have never seen weds fill the away end which for a massive club like them surprises me
  • Options
    Think we've filled it twice, 95/96 for the cup game and 98/99 but the last two in we sold around 2k for each game
  • Options
    "Valley of Death", love it.
  • Options
    never seen you fill the 3,400 myself been most games
  • Options
    95/96 FA Cup 3rd round, lost 2-0

98/99 Premier League, won 1-0

both games were sold out at our end.
  • Options
    not sold out but better effort,surprised at why you dont sell out at ours more being i see you a big big club and quiet as well compared to sheffield unitede and leeds
  • Options
    oh those games in the 90s we shared the south i think
  • Options
    Don't recall sharing a stand although it is over a decade ago so you could well be correct, though the FA Cup I seem to recall we had all the stand.

£25 a ticket for 3rd tier football is probably one factor, although i do expect to sell more than the 2k when we play you.

Our away support is pretty decent and vocal, averaging 2k for the 3rd tier isn't bad is it? As for Leeds, 1 club City my friend, and the Blades? well they too less than 800 to Donny last week.
  • Options
    anyway its much better than our away following but so is orients lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    feel free to use our trademark cafc cafc chant maybe swfc swfc swfc
  • Options
    Nah we'll stick to our originals (which we stole from Utretcht)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: owlsonlineadmin[/cite]Nah we'll stick to our originals (which we stole from Utretcht)[/quote]

that song from Boon, do they sing that in utrecht?
  • Options
    Which song? from Boon?

Or you thinking of Hi Hi Silver Lining by Jeff Beck?
  • Options
    Wednesday sold out in 99, but it was only 2k, as we shared the Jimmy Seed.

And Wednesdays support pisses all over Sheff United in both numbers and noise. I think Wednesday have one of the best away supports in the country and I think if you spoke to fans of other clubs up and down the Country, they would agree.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]And Wednesdays support pisses all over Sheff United in both numbers and noise. I think Wednesday have one of the best away supports in the country and I think if you spoke to fans of other clubs up and down the Country, they would agree.
    Agreed, Wednesday are and always will be the biggest club in Sheffield.

I think we should steal one of their songs, "Down the lane, down the lane, they're a right bunch of w@nkers down the lane!"
  • Options
    At the lane, at the lane, where they're all f@cking w@nkers at the lane, if you don't mind
  • Options
    Lived in sheffield for 3 years, there's no doubt which club is top dog.

Wednesday are a proper club, with a proper support, great tradition and hillsborough is one of my favourite stadiums in the country.
  • Options
    It's interesting to see that they have three ex-premiership strikers in Morrison, Tungay and Mellor while we have Benson, Anyinsah and Abbott/Sodje - an ex-lower leaguer having played a quarter of a season at this his highest level, a lower league winger converted to a striker and a choice of two journeymen at best.
  • Options
    Tungay?

Tudgay never played in the Premier League...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    gay. lol
  • Options
    as opposed to Bent?? ;-)
  • Options
    I lived in sheff for just over 6 years, sorry you're not bigger than sheff united (although i did live eccelsal and london rd way most my stint in the steel city)

used to go to hillsborough alot in my first and 2nd yr when you were in league one (not sure if had been branded league one then, might have been first yr) was very eiry atmosphere in such a huge stadium, think you still got bout 15-17k then, although very negative at that point, lots of managers, no money, still paying the wages of some very high earners for the quality of football they produced, so might be bit better up that way last few years.

Still there was nothing like a bit of sheffield gallows humour from the kop, also found it funny you both call each other pigs, (swillsborough and not sure why blades were called pigs, was it just the stripy tops??)
  • Options
    No of course not, we're not more successful are we?

Barring the last four seasons our gates haven't outstripped theirs have they for the last 30 years have they?

We averaged over 22k in each of our League one seasons despite being awful to watch.

Swillsborough was a fascinating little ditty from the shorehamcunts as we know them.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    22k, are you sure??!!! Jesus it never looked that many!!!

Look i'm not gonna lie, even though prob went to see all but a few home matches for two seasons I have no idea about your history, being a charlton fan I had no need to look at division one (pre premiership).

All I know is over the last 10 years blades have had bigger attendances and are older (hence more history!!) than you guys (i think, not 100% on that one). That and most my firends from the great city are all blades fans, but then again I didnt mix which any urchins/pikeys/chavs what ever you want to call yourselves from out hillsborough way.
  • Options
    Good article apart from "they have a creaking back line which could be punished if the attacking mindset is correct" (2nd last sentence) if only it were true.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]22k, are you sure??!!! Jesus it never looked that many!!!

Look i'm not gonna lie, even though prob went to see all but a few home matches for two seasons I have no idea about your history, being a charlton fan I had no need to look at division one (pre premiership).

All I know is other the last 10 years blades have had bigger attendances and are older (hence more history!!) than you guys (i think, not 100% on that one). That and most my firends from the great city are all blades fans, but then again I didnt mix which any urchins/pikeys/chavs what ever you want to call yourselves from out hillsborough way.[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha !!!!

Nice wind-up, pal.
  • Options
    no wind up

as a charlton fan I didnt need to look up the divisions!!

seriosuly since the early 1900's other than the league cup what have you won?

Jesus even we're won the fa cup more recently than you!!

and untied were formed before you (only by a few yrs but still), they also scored the first premiership goal if my memory serves me right
  • Options
    Blades attendances have bettered us 4 times in the last 30 years, the last four years, even a division below in the 2003/04 and 2004/05 seasons our gates dwarved theirs

We were formed in 1867, them in 1889

We've won titles, appeared in cup finals, won at wembley in side the last 20 years, they last won summat when Hitlers youth were still in his pants

Oh and you lived off London Road, aka the Slum
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]no wind up

as a charlton fan I didnt need to look up the divisions!!

seriosuly since the early 1900's other than the league cup what have you won?

Jesus even we're won the fa cup more recently than you!!

and untied were formed before you (only by a few yrs but still), they also scored the first premiership goal if my memory serves me right[/quote]

Wednesday were formed in 1867 and are the 5th. oldest club now in the league. The Baconstripers were formed in 1889 as a result of a schism at Wednesday. Yes, 22 years later. We were originally known as the Blades, an obvious industrial nickname. We also played many early big games at Bumhole lane, before they were thought of.

Originally the Sheffield League was a rival to, and the equivalent of, what is now The F.A. They played test matches between the London and Sheffield F.A.s, home and away, with league select teams and with Sheff rules up north and London rules down south. It was as part of the amalgamation talks later that the F.A. agreed to accept (I think) three of the Sheffield rules and, as such, the final codification of the game came about. That's why both Sheffield clubs didn't join the League until 1892. The Owls were invited to join the First Division and The Others the second. (Even then folks understood the difference in class, eh?)

Wednesday have won the League four times and United once. We've won the Cup three times and them four. And -as you kindly pointed out - we won the League Cup against Man Utd's full first team in 1991. We finished second to the Spurs double winners early sixties, were eighth and fifth under Wilko in '85 and '86 and third under big Ron in 1992, before losing both Cup Finals to the Arse in 1993. We played around half a dozen semi-finals over the last twenty years. We've been in Europe three times and it would have been five but for the evil at Heysel robbing English teams.
    Yes, our last really great period was a long time ago - the early 1930s, when your favourite Jimmy Seed was released by Spurs - apparently at the end of his career. He joined us when we were apparently hopelessly adrift at the foot of the old First division with only around seven games left. He inspired us to stop up at the expense of - Spurs! We then became Champions of England for the next two seasons, provided the basis for the England and Scotland teams and won the Cup three years after. In contrast, apart from a solitary 1920s Cup win, United won nothing at all in the 20th. Century.

Attendance wise - and I've been watching the Owls since the mid-sixties - United have rarely approached our crowds. The exception would be in the mid-seventies, when they were in the top few and pushing for Europe, whilst we'd fallen to the third for the first time in our history. But at the end of that decade, we slaughtered them 4-0 in the famous 'Boxing Day Massacre', a slogan THEIR fans had been singing for weeks in advance. We ended that season promoted under big Jack Charlton. The season after they were relegated to the Fourth Division - bringing shame to the city that gave birth to modern football - and the only thing they've ever done that we hadn't done first.

If you compare the two clubs when in identical situations, until the last few years, their crowds have been embarrasingly smaller. We've even regularly embarrassed them that way when they've been in higher divisions. Just to bring things up to date, we recently took more to Notts County than they took to L**ds and Forest combined. What's THAT about? We've ben heading inexorably downhill, with no relief of the fans' misery, for about fifteen years. We soon might not exist at all, but this season we have over 12,000 season ticket holders, (despite there being no fear of not getting a ticket in a near 40,000 seater stadium), and kicked off the season with 24,000 inside against little Dagenham, all despite relegation and now regular transfer embargoes.

Think again, mate. It sounds like you lived in the wrong part of town and got brainwashed. All the best.