Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Owl In Peace

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Hello Charlton Fans!

Wednesday aite in peace, hope you don't mind me posting on here.

I would just like to ask; "What is going wrong with you at the moment?" Are you not 11th or something? Its a shame considering the size of Charlton but the league is tight so i'm sure you'll turn it around. I will be making the trip to the Valley on saturday and am looking forward to it. Despite it being smaller than Hillsborough it is a very nice stadium and enjoy visiting. However I feel it lacks a bit of tradition like our old lady. Anyway onto saturday... I think you'll scrape a 1-0 win through Paul Benson, I hope I'm wrong but I can sense it :) Irvine has us playing negative football at the moment, we were lucky to beat Leyton Orient and Yeovil. When we played attacking football we looked very dangerous and got the goal against Bournemouth. Wednesday have possibly the best squad (on paper) in this division. If we play to our strengths then I'm sorry to say it, but we'll beat you by a few goals. We have also only conceded 8 goals this season which is great. Mainly down to Nicky Weaver. He's been excellent, don't miss Grant one bit ;) I know you lot had mixed thoughts on him but he's done it at the top level and he's a wednesday aite! I wish you good luck after Saturday and I hope you make the top 6.

Prediction- Charlton 1-0 Wednesday
With my team and not Alan's garbage- Charlton 1-3 Wednesday

Weaver
Buxton
Hinds
Beevers
Jones
Johnson
Coke
Miller
Teale
Mellor
Heffernan/Morrison

Subs-
Tudgay
Spurr
Potter
O'Connor
Morrison/Heff
Jameson

Comments

• Options
    Will be a very interesting game....

Not sure how its going to pan out, Id be happy with a draw personally..
  • Options
    "...it lacks a bit of tradition..."?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]"...it lacks a bit of tradition..."?

its a northern thing, just not enough Hovis.
  • Options
    By "lacking tradition," I take it OwlinPeace means modern as opposed to falling down. I am pleased to see that Nicky Weaver has extended his career after leaving Charlton. The wake-up call meant he was finally arsed to lose two stone and regain some of the agility he lost whilst blocking the goal for us.
  • Options
    Been to Charlton before? Enjoy the legroom...
  • Options
    Hillsborough is one of the most traditional stadiums in Europe! I think it was a typo on an attempted piss take, he had a go at the size of The Valley before making that remark!
  • Options
    I think that this game particularly is hard to call, it could go either way but somehow the way we are playing at the moment I can't see us beating anybody 1-0. I regard Wednesday as being a sleeping Giant, being old enough to remember Derek Dooley etc. If we see two commited teams tomorrow I am expecting a high scoring draw. Having said that, with the unpredictable performance of Referees these days, it could turn into Surprise Surprise !
  • Options
    Owl means their old main stand which is still pretty much how it used to be. Slightly older supporters will remember the HUGE Kop terrace behind the goal and in many ways Hillsborough was like The Valley...except that it had huge stands all the way round unlike The Valley with our weird arrangement on the West side.

We didn't used to do too well up there in the 80's...4-5, 1-4, 1-3, 0-3 being some of the defeats and I can only recall us getting two draws 1-1 (Melrose for us & Carl Shutt for them) and a 0-0 when Paul Williams was playing for them and Gordon Watson for us (Lennie's last season). Anyone remember the 1-4 defeat on Match of The Day? We got murdered and Nicky Johns even saved a penalty (something that didn't happen too often). Bob Bolder and Peter Shirtliff were playing for Weds.

As for home games....Dowman's match, the first game back in Div One 1-1 and the 2-0 FA Cup game would probably be my highlights.

Anything could happen tomorrow. Wonder if Varadi and Bannister will be up front for them?
  • Options
    hilsborough is a excellent stadium not going to argue there and a proper club
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]hilsborough is a excellent stadium not going to argue there and a proper club
    with proper supporters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    did you see the lesner undertaker thing fod?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]hilsborough is a excellent stadium not going to argue there and a proper club
    with proper supporters.

who really enjoyed our relegation in 99. Disliked them ever since, their gloating at the Valley when they won 1-0 in the last game was way ott to me.
  • Options
    It seems every player who leaves our club these days goes on to better things. I thought Weaver was finished when he left us. He wasn't bothered to lose any weight and give everything for us. Perhaps says something about our management structure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]
    with proper supporters.

who really enjoyed our relegation in 99. Disliked them ever since, their gloating at the Valley when they won 1-0 in the last game was way ott to me.

Where as we all left The Valley very sedately after sending down that lot up the road ; )
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Management structure? Or just another dig at Parky?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]did you see the lesner undertaker thing fod?
    Of course I bloody did. WWE wanted them to have a match at wrestlemania, UFC said no, that's really it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]
    with proper supporters.

Where as we all left The Valley very sedately after sending down that lot up the road ; )

It's all perspective though ain't it. Obviously something to do with Palace has history but the Wednesday gloating had no context apart from snarkiness.
  • Options
    What wasn't mentioned either is that we may be in 11th but a win tomorrow and we overtake Wednesday currently sitting pretty in 4th. Tight division this is turning out to be!
    Also, hope to be there tomorrow!!!!
  • Options
    Very tight. I plugged my thoughts into the BBC Predictor for tomorrow's matches, and I have it that a 2 goal win could push us up as high as 5th. Defeat would see us fall to 14th, and a draw would see us stay put. Not very scientific, but worth a go
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]hilsborough is a excellent stadium not going to argue there and a proper club[/quote]with proper supporters.[/quote]

who really enjoyed our relegation in 99. Disliked them ever since, their gloating at the Valley when they won 1-0 in the last game was way ott to me.[/quote]

I was at that game and really hated being in our crowd whilst they were singing, "Going down." Yeah, it's normally just banter, that, but not that day when it was real and it mattered so much to so many. I cringed inside. (First time at The Valley, though I'd seen you play us at Selhurst and was so pleased for you when you finally made it home. Not to mention when our Shirty kept you up at the expense of Dirty L**ds.)

Afterwards, our coach drew up at lights nearby. There was an Addicks youth sat on the wall there crying his eyes out. I tried to lift him by making a down and up again gesture. It didn't work. Ironically, a year later you DID go back up - to replace us. Not that those who were singing that song that day will have given it a moment's thought.

It sounds like we're both in the shite now. We certainly are - two weeks from oft-denied salvation or winding up. Good luck to you. It would be nice to see this fixture repeated at a higher level again. For us right now it would be nice simply to see this fixture repeated!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Appreciate your comments Wolf but will never forgive wednesday their going down chant AFTER the final whistle. Banter during the game was fair enough but that went too far as you said and I gloated for many a season as we were above you financially and league position wise. Sadly it was not to last and we are now both fighting for bragging rights.
  • Options
    Friend attacked outside their ground whilst getting in his car after an away match, maybe 6/7 years ago? disliked the Sheffield cavemen ever since.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Friend attacked outside their ground whilst getting in his car after an away match, maybe 6/7 years ago? disliked the Sheffield cavemen ever since.[/quote]

There's shitheads like that everywhere, Danny, sadly. I really hate reading about such as that. Absolute scum.

Yeah, we have a large following, and it certainly includes some like that, but don't tar us all with one brush pal.
  • Options
    Never had any real feelings about the Wednesday but do recall a large turn out from them at a cup game some years back (they were in Div. 3) turning cars over outside the ground after the game. Also many comments about us having their place in the top flights some years back on t'internet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]Never had any real feelings about the Wednesday but do recall a large turn out from them at a cup game some years back (they were in Div. 3) turning cars over outside the ground after the game. Also many comments about us having their place in the top flights some years back on t'internet.
    FA Cup match, January 1975. Never been so frightened, bnefore or since. Have had a real hatred for Sheff Wed since that day.
  • Options
    well some of our fans were more than happy to laugh as we sent norwich down and a year later they were back celebrating promotion at the valley ............
    that's football
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Owling_Wolf[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Friend attacked outside their ground whilst getting in his car after an away match, maybe 6/7 years ago? disliked the Sheffield cavemen ever since.

There's shitheads like that everywhere, Danny, sadly. I really hate reading about such as that. Absolute scum.

Yeah, we have a large following, and it certainly includes some like that, but don't tar us all with one brush pal.

Fella at least you are honest!

Did you go the cup game against us a few years back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: OwlInPeace[/cite]Hello Charlton Fans!

Wednesday aite in peace, hope you don't mind me posting on here.

I would just like to ask; "What is going wrong with you at the moment?" Are you not 11th or something? Its a shame considering the size of Charlton but the league is tight so i'm sure you'll turn it around. I will be making the trip to the Valley on saturday and am looking forward to it. Despite it being smaller than Hillsborough it is a very nice stadium and enjoy visiting. However I feel it lacks a bit of tradition like our old lady. Anyway onto saturday... I think you'll scrape a 1-0 win through Paul Benson, I hope I'm wrong but I can sense it :) Irvine has us playing negative football at the moment, we were lucky to beat Leyton Orient and Yeovil. When we played attacking football we looked very dangerous and got the goal against Bournemouth. Wednesday have possibly the best squad (on paper) in this division. If we play to our strengths then I'm sorry to say it, but we'll beat you by a few goals. We have also only conceded 8 goals this season which is great. Mainly down to Nicky Weaver. He's been excellent, don't miss Grant one bit ;) I know you lot had mixed thoughts on him but he's done it at the top level and he's a wednesday aite! I wish you good luck after Saturday and I hope you make the top 6.

Prediction- Charlton 1-0 Wednesday
    With my team and not Alan's garbage- Charlton 1-3 Wednesday

Weaver
    Buxton
    Hinds
    Beevers
    Jones
    Johnson
    Coke
    Miller
    Teale
    Mellor
    Heffernan/Morrison

Subs-
    Tudgay
    Spurr
    Potter
    O'Connor
    Morrison/Heff
    Jameson

Well we should at least congratulate you on your powers of prediction!
  • Options
    Think our Forwards were better than yours.
    In our defence we had Doc,Francis & Dailly FFS.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I think that this game particularly is hard to call, it could go either way but somehow the way we are playing at the moment I can't see us beating anybody 1-0. I regard Wednesday as being a sleeping Giant, being old enough to remember Derek Dooley etc. If we see two commited teams tomorrow I am expecting a high scoring draw. Having said that, with the unpredictable performance of Referees these days, it could turn into Surprise Surprise !

I won't be asking you for any lottery numbers

:-)