Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Two of Nobby's medals = cost of Div Three striker

I notice Man U bought two of Nobby Stiles' medals yesterday for a combined total of £237,600.

It struck me as an example of what's wrong with football. One club can pay more for a couple of bits of scrap metal to put in its musuem than clubs in our league can pay for a striker who will get the goals to win promotion !

Comments

• Agreed.

Just like cricket football has sold its soul.
  • Might have been 'nice' if Mr Rooney had bought them with the small change from his back pocket - about 2 weeks' wages for him!!
  • According to the Sun, Man U outbid a joint offer from Rio Ferdinand, Gerrard, Fat Frank Lumplard and housewives favourite, John Terry of £150,000 - different world isn't it.
  • [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]According to the Sun, Man U outbid a joint offer from Rio Ferdinand, Gerrard, Fat Frank Lumplard and housewives favourite, John Terry of £150,000 - different world isn't it.

be the only way that bunch of muppets get their hands on a WC winners medal !
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]I notice Man U bought two of Nobby Stiles' medals yesterday for a combined total of £237,600.

It struck me as an example of what's wrong with football. One club can pay more for a couple of bits of scrap metal to put in its musuem than clubs in our league can pay for a striker who will get the goals to win promotion !

I was actually encouraged that they recognised their value/interest to the public and their place in our national games history and bought the things, rather than they sat by and wacthed them end up in a vault somewhere never to be seen. Apparently Nobby lives in quite modest circumstances and wanted something to leave to his children so hopefully a win-win situation. Only 3 players left with theirs now.

Take your point about the comparison though.
  • edited October 2010
    I suppose Nobby's medals are likely to hold their value. Izale McLeod's value seems to have gone down rather quickly.
  • Jesus, we can't even afford two of Nobby's Nuts at the moment.