Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What players think about fans - Rohan Ricketts

I'm enjoying Rohan Ricketts' pieces for Sabotage Times - this one's sparked by the Rooney affair but resonates closer to home as well.

What players really think about fans.
These days it’s considered entertainment to judge people. They forget that you’re human as well. I mean, can you imagine the whole Man United team going into a fan’s office and saying “The balance isn’t right in the finance department, you’re shit!” Imagine a player saying to an air hostess “You’re garbage because you made a few mistakes on the flight.” Having to face this kind of abuse every week it’s no surprise that some players have a ‘fuck you’ attitude.

Of course, on the other hand, when your fans get behind you it’s the most exciting feeling possible. I remember the first time Tottenham fans sang my name. It was Anfield away, I went on a run, past Steven Gerrard and Danny Murphy and had a shot – then I heard “There’s only one Rohan Ricketts”. Even then I didn’t have many hairs on the back of my neck, but those that I did have stood on end. It’s so important that a player feels appreciated by his own fans – otherwise he has to fight against them as well as the other team and their supporters.

Comments

• Options
    Good read.

Just googled him to find out where he is playing now.....

Bloody hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Dacia_Chişinău
  • Options
    I don't know many air hostesses on £30k a week..........

It's all relative but if you can't stand the heat take up a different sport.

Too many "footballers" are stealing a living these days. If they had one tenth of the passion some fans have they would be much improved on the pitch!
  • Options
    All this crap about fans affecting games is pure rubbish, support probably has about 1% impact on a result of the game, it's all down to the players & if they work well individually & as part of the team or not. If they are not professional enough to handle a bit of stick then go and work at McDonalds instead.
  • Options
    probably get more stick working at McD's than playing football! :)
  • Options
    Don't agree with that Ketman, lot's of scenarios where teams have been losing badly, and then get lifted by a crowd in full voice..
  • Options
    rooney earns more in a week than 10 soldiers do in a year. seems quite rewarding for a few minor death threats when the thick scouse prick gets greedy.

the gap between supporters in the real world and these thick 'stars' in their own little world is becoming greater. the worlds footballing bodies need to step in before everybody falls out of love with the game.
  • Options
    Horses for courses. Some players might be inspired by a vocal crowd, some probably couldn't give a toss what the fans think.

However, Ketman is right in one respect, stick from the crowd is an occupational hazard, and as a highly paid professional, you should do your job whether the fans love you or not.

If you can't handle it, get another job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Don't agree with that Ketman, lot's of scenarios where teams have been losing badly, and then get lifted by a crowd in full voice..

Liverpool Champions League final for instance. At half time, 3-0 down Benitez said just listen "YOU'LL NEVER WALK...ALONE" was all they could hear. 3-0 down. for 10 minutes solid. They came out knowing what it meant to the fans and won.

Maybe if we sang our hearts out when losing at half time the team might respond in the second half
  • Options
    Possibly but I can also think of a number of times when the crowd have got behind the team and they've still been shite!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    a loud rendition of "marching on together" from passionate leeds fans last night did nothing though.

if it played as big a part as some would have you believe, galatasary would be regular champions of europe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]All this crap about fans affecting games is pure rubbish, support probably has about 1% impact on a result of the game, it's all down to the players & if they work well individually & as part of the team or not. If they are not professional enough to handle a bit of stick then go and work at McDonalds instead.

If that really was the case then there would be almost as many away wins as home ones which, of course, there usually isn't. I say "usually" because I think I'm right in saying that, in the season before last, there were actually more away wins in League 2 than Home ones. Though that could add creedence to the argument given that home crowds of 2,000 might not have the same impact as say 30,000.
  • Options
    Reading a few ex-players autobiog's many say that on the majority of occasions they can't hear the fans either because the team isn't doing so good but mainly because the players are so involved in the game it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
  • Options
    Perhaps he can give us an insight into why Liam Brady was so quick to get him out the door at Arsenal
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]All this crap about fans affecting games is pure rubbish, support probably has about 1% impact on a result of the game, it's all down to the players & if they work well individually & as part of the team or not. If they are not professional enough to handle a bit of stick then go and work at McDonalds instead.

If that really was the case then there would be almost as many away wins as home ones which, of course, there usually isn't. I say "usually" because I think I'm right in saying that, in the season before last, there were actually more away wins in League 2 than Home ones. Though that could add creedence to the argument given that home crowds of 2,000 might not have the same impact as say 30,000.

Away fans normally make more noise than the home fans. The "You're supposed to be at home" chant is bollocks. We are almost always outsung at home, similarly I feel we outsing the home teams a majority of the time when we go away.

I think home 'advantage' exists because for some inexplicable reason teams set themselves up more defensively away from home, and more attacking at home. I'm not quite sure why this is.

I'm with Ketman. Dizzle's example of the Champions League final is hardly proof that the fans made the difference. The fact that Milan played like a bunch of amateurs for 15 minutes after half time was the main factor behind Liverpool getting back into it.