Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car engine steam cleaning

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
Hi All

Anybody have an idea where I could get my car engine steam cleaned in and around Bexley?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Used to be a place round the back of the chemist in Bourne Road, but not sure they still do it. I will ask around.
  • Options
    What are the benefits of this?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]What are the benefits of this?

Makes the engine all nice and clean and f_cks the electrics up lol!
  • Options
    I would not do it. Can mess up the electrics etc if not done by a professional.
  • Options
    I'll leave it lol

Though was interested for a moment!
  • Options
    definitely doesn't improve anything apart from looks and can create new problems if you are unlucky. Avoid.
  • Options
    I asked around and if you do want to get your engine steam cleaned, Neves Garage in Sidcup can do it for you 25-35 Birkbeck Road, Sidcup, DA14 4DD. Sam Holder is your man, tel: 020 8300 1000.
  • Options
    It really isn't advisable. As said by others it can easily muck up your electrics/electonics.. Most places that do it tell you they'll take no responsibility for such damage occuring. This is often on a small notice on a wall round the corner.
  • Options
    owned cars for over 20 years and never had it done. newer cars dont leak oil and on older cars who gives a toss if they have a bit of oil on the sump etc. remember, things that are oily cannot rust and are unlikely to cease up!
  • Options
    Lol I have a fiat so definitely don't want to risk anything! Why on earth would you have this done with themrisk factor?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You only normally have it done if you are trying to tidy up an old car your trying to sell. Sort of hide all the leaks and that.
  • Options
    Saga lout, thanks so much for the info , booked in the car this week. Have you used them before?

I am only having this done as I have an oil leak, and need to get it cleaned to find out where its coming from. I am aware of the risks, and would rather not get it done !
  • Options
    If you're buying a car, avoid the ones with the unusually clean engine - they're the ones that have needed a steam clean to hide oil leaks.

If you're selling a car, avoid steam cleaning the engine - it will look as if it needed to be steam cleaned to hide oil leaks.

If you're not buying or selling, but keeping - who cares?
  • Options
    I don't want to hide an oil leak, I want to get it fixed!

But So much oil has leaked out, can't see where the leak is coming from
  • Options
    Gunk is the other way of doing it. Spray some of that stuff on a warm engine, leave it to soak for a bit and then hose it off - it's surprisingly effective, although probably not great for the environment washing all that oily water down your domestic drain and you'll need quite a lot if the whole engine is covered.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcbrown[/cite]I don't want to hide an oil leak, I want to get it fixed!

But So much oil has leaked out, can't see where the leak is coming from

Two tips:

1) Stick some more oil in the engine, then run the engine with the bonnet up. Look for any evidence of fresh oil

2) Work on the basis that gravity is at play here. Oil on the outside of the engine will seldom work its way upwards, but will work downwards. So, start looking at the top.

That will be a pound.

:-)
  • Options
    On the Triumph motorcycles I've had over the years, I'd worry if they didn't leak! It meant they'd run out of the suff.