Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Colditz Legend

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
Anybody else see this on Yesterday this evening?

A fascinating documentary speaking to ex prisoners, their widows and children

They don't make them like those guys any more.

Comments

• Options
    They don't make them like those guys any more.

Yes they do.
  • Options
    Yes, I saw it. Fascinating stuff, I would have loved to have known how the escapees made it to Switzerland though, all the way through Nazi Germany and across what must have been a very heavily fortified border.
  • Options
    VFR - read "They Have Their Exits" by Airey Neave. He tells you about how he tried and failed a few times before finally escaping with a Dutch officer. He has a few scrapes getting across Germany but ended up crossing the border by essentially crawling across a road that was under guard. That part of the border wasn't fortified apart from sentry boxes and road blocks. They two escapees later realised they had at one point actually been in Switzerland, only to cross back into Germany without knowing.
  • Options
    AT LAST.....Sky Channel 537 tonight at 10pm (seemingly every night at this time), the original Colditz series made by the BBC. One of the finest dramas ever made.
  • Options
    Len, I have Sky+ this will watch tonight.

Incidently my mate just bought a piece of the Colditz barbed wire from a military antiques dealer it was brought to the antique dealers shop by an British Major (I forget his name) who was released from Colditz at the end of the war, he grabbed the wire when he left as a souvenir. My mate has it framed and it is in his memorabilia room at his gaff.
  • Options
    I've got this Sky+ ready for for this one. Really looking forward to it. I remember as a kid there was Colditzmania when this series came out. Anyone remember the Colditz board game with Do or Die cards?
  • Options
    The original TV series from the 1970s is going to be released on DVD next month - see Amazon. Will be interesting to see if the programmes are as good as I remember them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I've got this Sky+ ready for for this one. Really looking forward to it. I remember as a kid there was Colditzmania when this series came out. Anyone remember the Colditz board game with Do or Die cards?

Weirdly I played that game as a kid, long before I actually knew what oit was about. I just thought it was made-up like Cludo or something, not based on actual events / places.
  • Options
    Still got the Colditz Game..........
    Forgotten how to play it though.
  • Options
    Missed this - but want to see the rerun of the series.

It's on "Yesterday" at 10.00 tonight, but is this the 2nd episode ? As it was on last night as well. You can't tell from my TV guide with these "smaller" TV channels as to what episodes they are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last one today (friday). The re-run has been very enjoyable with plenty of 'spot the old actor' moments. The main cast worked hard to maintain the claustraphobic (spelling ?) atmosphere. A high point for me was seeing a pre-Sweeney Denis Waterman in a one minute cameo as a nasty Nazi. Expected him to say..."We're the Gestapo son, and we haven't had our dinner!" But do Germans really speak in heavily accented English to each other, even when listening to a wireless broadcasting in fluent German? (picky picky). Good stuff!
  • Options
    Some other actors who went onto become better known include Patrick Troughton, Willie Rushton and Geoffrey Palmer.

And Stirling Castle was cast as Colditz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colditz_(TV_series)
  • Options
    Thanks BFR, I didn't realise that was Stirling Castle and I've beem there as well.! Think it was also used in 'Tunes of Glory', the old Mills/Guiness film. Also visited the 'Where Eagles Dare' castle in Austria: disappointed that the cable car was actually somewhere else.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    I watched most of the rerun and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh for more drama of that quality on tv.