Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kidney Stones

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
Yesterday was a normal day, for the most part. Pretty good in fact, with Charlton putting in a redeeming performance--albeit with a typically shaky patch--and ultimately pulling three points out of the bag.

In the evening I had my 1 year old. He had slept long in the afternoon, so I knew I'd be entertaining him late into the evening. His mother was out at a work event.

At about 7:30pm I attempted to go to for a pee, but nothing came out. I tried again ten minutes later with the same result. Fotunately, my dad, who had been down the pub with his mate, came home early, because by 7:45pm I was in what was to become the most excruciating pain I've ever felt! I handed my son over to him. I initially thought that it was back pain, possibly from lifting the little one. I tried to lay down, but there was no way to get comfortable and the pain was constant, as though someone had reached in and applied a vice-grip-type lock to one of my organs. The pain started in the back, on the left side, but moved around to the front, without relent. I stumbled into the kitchen to phone my partner for help. No answer. I thought that maybe I was suffering from a bursting appendix. I kept calling, and cursing each empty ring. I didn't know it, but Fi had left her phone in the car. The formal part of the main event she was attending was beginning to wind down and she says that something gave her the inclination to excuse herself and retrieve her phone. She found the recent, multiple missed calls. By the time she called I was in agony on the floor, whining, moaning and very alone. She was home within five minutes and we were in the hospital within fifteen.

The pain was relentless for periods. It was clear from the various nurses, before the doctor even appeared, that the pain was likely from a passing kidney stone. By about 9:30pm, the IV painkillers seemed to have provided some comfort. I went in for an X-Ray and was able to stand and then lie flat on the table without the pain for the first time since it had begun. Onn returning to the cubicle the nurse asked whether I though I could give a urine sample. I went to the toilet on my own accord, pain free if I recall correctly; I certainly was comfortable. I peed into the little plastic cup. "Ping!" Out came the little bastard, a tiny, but sharp and angular crystal the size of three cuddling fleas! Unbelievable!

So far, I'm pain free, a little fragile and quite tired. I'm looking to milk this for the rest of the day. I'm sure there are a few out there that have experienced the excruciating pain these little terrors can cause. I'm hopeful that I never have to endure that again.

Comments

• Options
    shit sorry lookout my uncle has just had this and had to go hospital . best wishes hope your better soon
  • Options
    "Boom" from on here passed a kidney stone a few years back. Reckons it was the most painful thing ever - and he's a big northern munkee so it must've been bad for him to say that.

Since then he's had no grief at all, so fingers crossed you wont have a repeat performance anytime soon.
  • Options
    Way back in time,if you did not pass the stone they would pass a metal rod up your penis and try and either break down the crystal or drag it out ...
  • Options
    Jesus wept! At that stage Kap, I think I would have just tapped out. Doesn't bare thinking about.
  • Options
    Jeez -you back in the UK?
  • Options
    Had one about four years ago. Worst pain ever.
  • Options
    I've had three ... each three years apart.

There are two kinds - calcium and uric acid.

Uric acid stones develop if your PH is too high. You can take medication for this, and they won't come back.

Sodium bicarbonate also helps to disolve stones that may be present in your system.

The bad news is that just because you've passed one doesn't mean that others aren't already present. You may pass them without knowing it, or you could have a repeat.
    You need a CAT scan to be sure. X-rays will only reveal the calcium stones. The scan reveals both.

A friend of mine, who has passed one stone, said she would rather give birth to her twins again than go through another kidney stone.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Way back in time,if you did not pass the stone they would pass a metal rod up your penis and try and either break down the crystal or drag it out ...[/quote]

They still do it now, and Im going to see my consaultant this week, and most likely will be getting it done myself real soon!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]
    They still do it now, and Im going to see my consaultant this week, and most likely will be getting it done myself real soon!

Christ, well that's something to look forward to then!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Way back in time,if you did not pass the stone they would pass a metal rod up your penis and try and either break down the crystal or drag it out ...

Once I uncross my legs at the thought, my thoughts are with you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bunch of wusses.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Bunch of wusses.
    No. Not at all. Most painful thing in the world - I saw a grown man weeping - literally weeping his eyes out in A&E a couple of years back when I was in for a broken rib. He proceeded to pass a stone the size of a pea over a period of about three hours. He looked like someone had drained every ounce of blood from his body - never seen anyone look so f***ed.
  • Options
    Years back collapsed at Mum and dads -- no one at home--- on floor couldnt even get to the phone. Pain went after about 30mins. Got to Dr he told me i had grit in the kidneys and it was passing through. -------------------God knows what a stone must feel like.
  • Options
    I had one back in May this year. It was the most painful thing that I had ever been through and I ended up in hospital for 3 days, 2 of those on a drip. It took about another 4 days before I passed the stone at home and that was fairly painless. You cannot believe that something that small can cause so much pain in the first place. I've been warned that if I get another one that they may do investigative surgery. They won't have to bother, if I do get another one I'll rip the bastard out myself. it'll be less painful.
  • Options
    Worse than child birth, according to my father.
    Not sure women would have the same view but us men are a more complex design.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite] He looked like someone had drained every ounce of blood from his body - never seen anyone look so f***ed.

That's a good description, I felt like every muscle in my body had been put through the ringer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Bunch of wusses.
    No. Not at all. Most painful thing in the world - I saw a grown man weeping - literally weeping his eyes out in A&E a couple of years back when I was in for a broken rib. He proceeded to pass a stone the size of a pea over a period of about three hours. He looked like someone had drained every ounce of blood from his body - never seen anyone look so f***ed.

Similar happened to me LoOkOut - I could easily have been the mid forty year old crying with pain in hospital Leroy talks about- never experienced pain like it. Except I had the 21st century equivalent of the rod inserted in me to laser it into pieces small enough to pass (It was a very big stone I'll add).

Glad it's over Lookie.. :-)
  • Options
    yep I've been there and it was the worst pain I could imagine, i thought it was my lot.
    had an ambulance called for me cause the wife thought i was a gonna and they could hear me screaming when she made the call....
    now every time i get a slight pain i am gulping down the water hoping that it isnt another on its way!!!
  • Options
    bunch of flipping wusses.
  • Options
    See thats why watching charlton is like a kidney stone (as i said months back) Hurts like fuck but eventually it will pass
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worse than a paper cut?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Worse than a paper cut?[/quote]

in between your toes
  • Options
    I had an ulcerated throat a few years ago at Christmas. Aside from tearing my ACL that was the worst pain imaginable - imagine not being able to swallow, talk or breathe without your throat feeling like it was on fire. Both sides of the throat as well - so no matter which way I stood, sat or laid down I was in agony. Lasted four days - during which I found myself at one point laying down on the bathroom floor sobbing my eyes out at four in the morning. I still think that geezer in A&E had it worse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]He looked like someone had drained every ounce of blood from his body - never seen anyone look so f***ed.

That's a good description, I felt like every muscle in my body had been put through the ringer.

OI ya big wimp - you answered him but not me? Are you back in the UK????
  • Options
    Sorry, i thought I wrote back. No, in Bda.