Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lamp Post Adverts

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
In a couple of weeks I'll have been off work for six months following the stroke business and I am fully expecting to get the push from my employer (I'm currently on SSP) as customers aren't too keen on having their cars bashed up by half blind drivers! So the family have been trying to think of things for me to do, not only to earn a bit but mainly to give me something to do. One of them mentioned about these small adverts you see tied to lamp posts and traffic ligts about working from home for cash. I have seen them but know absolutely nothing about them: are they a scam or rip-off which end up with you losing money? So. anybody know anything about them or had experience of them? Thanks.

Comments

• a huge scam. i think most basically send you packs and stuff to sell, which you pay for, over the phone.
  • Aha! Thanks VG
  • have a search on google mate, people are vary wary of them and rightly so.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]a huge scam. i think most basically send you packs and stuff to sell, which you pay for, over the phone.

yep pretty much it I think.....up front as well I suspect
  • dont get involved, any of the places where you have to pay to get work from them are a scam
  • Sorry to hear about this but pleased you are now well enough to be thinking about work again. I know nothing about lamppost jobs but share the suspicions of others.

Unfortunately it seems you can't go back to work in the same role but you may still be able to take on part of your duties or other duties with the same firm.

This will require some flexibility from both you and them. How big are they as a firm and how many people do they employ?

I would speak to your employer and get some outside advice as well.

Try to find a employment disability advisor. If you have had a stroke your hospital or GP maybe able to put you in touch with someone. Alternatively try the British Stroke Association (If that is what it is called). They will have been through this many times before and be able to give you information and advice.

Some employers are heartless sods but many do care about their employees and if shown how to adapt roles will give it a try. Just normally they don't realise that is an option or think you wouldn't take a different or part time role.

Whisper me if there is anything else I can do.
  • Steer well clear of this sort of thing March, you don't need the grief fella.

Homeworking Scam
  • Also the adverts are illegally placed and local councils should take them down (and prosecute the company doing the advertising - although that very rarely happens).
  • [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Also the adverts are illegally placed and local councils should take them down (and prosecute the company doing the advertising - although that very rarely happens).

I'll remember that the next time I'm standing on a roundabout in the peeing rain taking one of the effing things down.
  • Didn't mean the taking down BA, I meant the prosecution.