Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was. 29th January 2000 Coventry 2 Charlton 3

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
As promised, a memorable game from more recent years.

This was the year the cup started early and we are already in the 5th round having beaten Swindon 2-1 in round 3 and a Charlie MacDonald goal was enough to see off QPR 1-0 in round 4.

Saturday 29th January 2000 Coventry City 2 (2) (Roussel 15, 21) Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Robinson 40, Newton 45, Hunt 88) Att 23,400.

Coventry: Hedman, Telfer, Williams, (Shaw 48), Breen, Froggatt, Eustace, (Gustafsson 71), McAllister, Palmer, Normann (Delorge 78), Roussell, Keane. Unused subs: Ogrizovic, Strachan.

Charlton: Kielly, Shields, Rufus, Brown, Powell, Robinson, (Konchesky 90), Newton, Kinsella (Todd 41), Stuart (Salako 89), Pringle, Hunt. Unused subs: Illic, MacDonald.

The victory set up a quarter final at The Reebok where the Addicks went out to ten man Bolton courtesy of a Gudjohnsen goal.

Comments

• Options
    You're picking them out well H+A.

Cracking away day this, had everything. Highlight ? Cov fans singing 'can we play you every week' when 2-0 up. Fantastc atmosphere in the away end that day.
  • Options
    This was a classic comeback, great atmosphere,johnny robbo's goal was brilliant,and we had fantastic support,even better watching it on MOTD.Old charlie Macdonald can't stop scoring for Gravesend, and his goal againt QPR Was a cracker.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I remember them singing "You're worse than Aston Villa, You're worse than Aston Villa" when they went two nil up. We were singing it back to them at half time.
    I also remember Chrissy Powell coming over to us at the end of the game with a couple of others to celebrate. A great day out indeed.
  • Options
    There was also some Cov City idiots in with the charlton lot, bit of a disturbance and they got chucked out.
  • Options
    Great day,in the rocket pub after coventry lads walked in took one look at us and went out back door!never saw them again
  • Options
    Iv'e still got my momento and wore it today, a bobble hat from some tough Cov City fan who was giving it large after the game, what a fool.
  • Options
    There was a few of them that day badger
  • Options
    A proper away day this one was , good turnout of CAFC
  • Options
    Andy Todd had a sound game that day too, coming on for Kinsella just before half time I see.

Did it snow that day or was that another visit to Coventry?
  • Options
    Another visit Stone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember 3 of us got ambushed by about 15-20 of their lads.

I broke the land speed record back to the station.
  • Options
    Its always been good fun up at Coventry
  • Options
    Anyone remember the fat bald bloke in the Cov end that was giving it large both to us and then to Kins when he went over to take a throw / corner?

Got buried by about 1500 of us when we equalised and then ruined when we scored!!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Walking past the Sky Blue Bar before the game with the Cov fans singing about how they were going to Wemberlee then after it was absolutely silent. Top, top away game.
  • Options
    Looking at the line-up we had some real characters and grafters in that team, a lot of people the Average Joe fan could really relate to.

Very good chance Gary Mac will be the next Cov manager
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Very good chance Gary Mac will be the next Cov manager

and good luck to him too.
  • Options
    ......remeber the match as though it was only yesterday......great day!
  • Options
    Falconwood_1
    Is that you Dev? If so i was with you matey(and grundy) i remember losing my brand new Abercrombie cap to them little tossers!!!
  • Options
    Was it Grundy who almost got run over?
  • Options
    Yes mate, i knocked under a car!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    that should have said i knocked HIM under a car!!
  • Options
    Great day out, although it looked bad after 20 minutes. Remember us singing all the way through half time
  • Options
    lol - he did say something about running straight into a moving car. He never pointed the figure of blame though.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ooooh i went to this one.
    didn't the supporters coach get its windows smashed? or was that the year when we played there and it snowed, remember staying in loughborough and skidding about 100 yrds on the ice ont he motorway. well it felt like it anyway.

most people stayed in their seats at half time singing, wouldn't have had a problem getting a pint that game, everyone turned to their right mugging up the earlier on cocky cov fans.

got some pics from that game actually when they ran out of the tunnel over the far side.
  • Options
    real party atmosphere in the away stand that day, red and white balloons everywhere, loads of singing, great result. howitzer and myself had made the short trip over from loughborough uni.

remember some person a few rows in front of us thought it would be a good idea to launch a bottle of fizzy pop into the home fans to our right. made it all the way to the front row i think.

not sure what beef they had with the cov fans, couldn't quite see the point myself!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: righthandbackward[/cite]real party atmosphere in the away stand that day, red and white balloons everywhere, loads of singing, great result. howitzer and myself had made the short trip over from loughborough uni.

thats where i'd gone from too, my brother was a student there!
  • Options
    oh yeah, all those balloons were swirling about in the wind and some even ended up in the goal. Did the club provide them? I seem to remember with carrier bags full of them giving them out.

Much better being the underdog in cup games.
  • Options
    remember $hitting myself when all the fireworks went off when the players ran out
  • Options
    About 5 of us got chased by Cov fans in the shopping centre on way back to station.We weren't even wearing colours.Never run so quick for years.Watch out if we're playing there next year.

On the subject of dodgy fans,who fancies Cardiff away next season?
  • Options
    Remember this day out really clearly - nearly didn't get there on time. Left Scotland at about 8.30am, but Thelwall Viaduct was closed because of an accident, so stuck for hours on the M6. Turned off at Wigan, then along country lanes to a single file bridge over the canal - the only other way south. Oh, and they were still collecting the 10p toll off every car!! Cov fan in car behind spotted our CAFC shirts and wanted to follow us as we had a road map to get back to motorway. Fortunately in return he told us where to come off motorway and park near ground - got there with just a few mins to spare. Twenty mins in we were wishing we hadn't bothered, but turned into fanatastic day in the end. Can still picture all the balloons piling into the goalmouth, and the fog left by the fireworks.