Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Council Tax - Jeez is it really that expensive now

Just been speaking to a colleague who has a deatched house in Upchurch & she said her Council Tax has gone up to £210 per month. Have not had a house for 18 months now so have lost touch with the reality of what you pay as a home owner but F*** me £210 a month. What the F*** do you actually get for that? Alternate week Bin collections .....and what exactly ?

Comments

• Options
    £81 a month for me, bins emptied every week, recycling every other. the country is going to the dogs!
  • Options
    90ish for us. no recycling bins tho. hoping that changes when we actually buy somewhere tho as feel terrible throwing stuff away instead of recycling. roads swept every morning tho by a friendly man who says 'morning' to everyone.
  • Options
    Ketters, that must be a MAHOOSIVE house man.... band H - the highest there is!!

We're band C, and pay just over 90 quid a month...
  • Options
    i pay £110 a month with two months where i pay nothing.

i think thats the case anyway, money comes out of my account left right and centre, hard to keep track!!
  • Options
    About 130 to Sutton council.

To be fair only ben there 4 months but all good at the mo.
  • Options
    I think her house is a Four Bedder, and as in Upchurch may come under Swale rather than Medway, still a lot of dough though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]i pay £110 a month with two months where i pay nothing.

i think thats the case anyway, money comes out of my account left right and centre, hard to keep track!!

i find it very confusing, that book is ridiculous. got absolutely no idea how it works out. i just set up the direct debit and hope that it goes out. on the lewisham website the way to find out what to pay is based on the price of your house in 1993 or something.

same with tv licesnse payments, do you pay over 6 months then pay for next years? i'm going to totally shaft my flat mate when i move the tv licenece to new flat, and he's technically paid for some of it!
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2007
    You get:

Education - Schools, Colleges
    Social Care - Adults and Childrens
    Social Housing
    Street Cleaning and Rubbish Collection
    Environmental protection - i.e. looking after your health, closing down dodgy takeaways etc
    Planning controls
    Parks
    Swimming pools
    Sports centres
    Libraries
    Local road maintenance
    Police
    Fire Service

But I would say that as I work in Local Govt.

Problem is - we all pay more, but HMG gives less and less to London and SE councils every year to keep vital services going! So services have to be cut as Govt. has capped rises to 5% max. Problem is that we have to pay for these services somehow - Either by direct taxation, Increased VAT, local taxation or council tax.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]You get:

[ul compact=false]
    [li value=0]Education - Schools, Colleges
    Social Housing
    Environmental protection - i.e. looking after your health, closing down dodgy takeaways etc
    Planning controls
    Parks
    Swimming pools
    Sports centres
    Libraries
    Local road maintenance
    Police
    Fire Service
    [/li][/ul]

have you broken the board BDL?!
  • Options
    oh man, i think i have!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I think her house is a Four Bedder, and as in Upchurch may come under Swale rather than Medway, still a lot of dough though.

I'm under Swale as well, in a 3 bedder...
  • Options
    Erm - yes?????

OOPS.

Getting back to the subject, most people don't realise how much is provided free at point of service by Local Govt. Problem is that it's becoming less as we have less money coming in.

I work in Social Care for adults, we're currently £1.5m overspent - and that's because we have to provide homecare and residential care to so many clients and our govt. settlement is the worst in London (and we have the largest elderly population in london)!
  • Options
    Social Care for adults? Care in the community for people with mental health problems and if so is this in charlton?
  • Options
    Used to be ! Though I left 2 years ago for the delights of Essex!
  • Options
    Very Interesting reading your list on Council Tax BDL had no real idea what Council tax actually paid for, although I will take issue with one of the things on the list as it did make me laugh POLICE ....ha do me a favour no bobbies on the beat, only interested in speeding, not interested in car crime.....oh dear starting of another thread must stop typing....
  • Options
    Swimming pools and sports centres? Surely our membership every month pays for those?
  • Options
    I pay £149 per month and don't 'get' any of the list above..where can I opt out?
  • Options
    Education - Schools, Colleges
    Social Housing
    Planning controls
    Parks
    Swimming pools
    Sports centres
    Libraries
    Local road maintenance
    Police
    Fire Service

Out of that list, i benefit from street cleaning and rubbish collection, evironmental protection, local road maintenance, police and fire service. That's it, and i think its about 190 a month.

And why should i pay more than someone in a house of a lower value ? That is no guide in any way to income, the amount of use etc.

rubbish system.
  • Options
    There's no such thing as society is there!
  • Options
    Ok, so apart from:-Education - Schools, Colleges
    Social Housing
    Planning controls
    Parks
    Swimming pools
    Sports centres
    Libraries
    Local road maintenance
    Police
    Fire Service

What has Greenwich Council ever done for us??

Brought peace?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]There's no such thing as society is there!

there is if you're unemployed in a council house, have four kids you drive to school, go home and read a library book, run through a park to the gym, cool down with a swim, before going home and starting a fire with the chip pan when you get home, only to discover the old bill have picked up your kids for breaking their ASBOs.

Then you're getting proper money's worth :-)
  • Options
    Never used a park or leisure centre in Bexley?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Never used a park or leisure centre in Bexley?

park - only to play football on which my club payed £675 for

leisure centre - pay £35 a month for
  • Options
    great that you can afford, suppose the less well off members of society should be fenced off and not allowed access then
  • Options
    i pay £120 a month for 10 months Sheffield band C = £185,000 house. seems a lot compared to the value of a band C house in London.
    band A = houses upto about £120,000 is about £80 per month.

you can still buy a 3 bed terrace in crappy area (not ex council estate) for £60,000

not too sure whether we get great value. missed the bin collection this morning. they come about 6.45am. too early for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]great that you can afford, suppose the less well off members of society should be fenced off and not allowed access then

not my argument at all, my argument is why the level of council tax is based on what you residence was worth 16 years ago, with no consideration on what you as a household take out of the council pot, or on what your current income may be.

That to me is unjust.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]great that you can afford, suppose the less well off members of society should be fenced off and not allowed access then
    the genuine less well off shouldnt be, of course not. its the members that con the system that need to be sorted out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    Getting back to the subject, most people don't realise how much is provided free at point of service by Local Govt. Problem is that it's becoming less as we have less money coming in.!

How is there less coming in? Council tax has been rising steadily above inflation. Plus councils have lowered their costs (reducing services, selling off council houses, closing virtually all youth clubs, etc.) and have increased their incomes (again selling council houses, parking permits and parking fines). It just doesn' t make sense.

What needs to be done is reduce wastage. I know for instance that last year Maidstone Borough Council wasted 12k on a CMS system for their website that didn't work. There are hundreds of councils, all wasting money on IT projects, road projects, etc. If they actually talked to each other and shared resources millions would be saved.

Also there is the short-termism (for want of a better word) of politics. So many plans are designed for short term gains and therefore votes. Nobody cares that it may cost more long run or that when the political wind changes the incoming party will wipe it all out at huge expense and start on their own plans.
  • Options
    don't they all start doing road works in the last month of the year budget, so they get the high allocation for the next year? i've heard thats true.

main road in sidcup goes from bexley borough to greenwich council and half way along it turns into a bumpy road
  • Options
    There was definitely a good few thousand spent on an unnecessary round-about in dartford a few years back just to spend the last of the budget