Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v MK Dons - Post Match Views

WSSWSS
edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Hard fought. Deserved. Still not creating enough. Terrible ref. MK looked average. Satisfied.

Comments

• parky for england.
  • worse ref ever come across in this league absolutley terrible
  • Dont moan about the ref NLA will be on your back.

hard to tell too much from this after listening to Emma but a win is very pleasing. Please keep getting them grubby wins Charlton.

Well done Benson.
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2010
    Good games: Francis, Fortune, Fry (maybe Martin for workrate if little end product)
    Bad games: Wagstaff
    Average games: The rest
  • Easy b just saying we have to over come poor refs and get on with it

Sounds like that's exactly what we did tonight.

You tell kids to ignore bad decisions and over come them it is important that the team and parky focus on the football.

The refs will be bad in this league it is the 3rd division.
  • i thought racon was very good and Reid had a brilliant 10 mins
  • I posted updates on the match from the Emma commentary for those who couldnt be there or didnt have a stream.....just two questions from me..Forch was not mentioned much.... was this due to reading the game well and just being in the right place at the right time, or was he not playing well, and secondly how good was Bensons finish and Reids cross.
    From the commentary we didn't sound as though we had any scarey moments..but Emma does go off at a tangent sometimes and misses the action.
  • Forch had a cigar on the go for most of the game.

Really happy for Benson, first time we've whipped an early ball into the box, and he's there to take the chance
  • From BDL twit:

Its been too long since I scored. Benson admits. Parky has been brilliant really helped me. #cafc
  • Fortune was a huge improvement in defence. Solid as we know he is. Must start from now on.

Francis cannot cross a ball which stays in the ground.

Martin worked hard but needs to do the simple things at times.

Reid must start if fit and thank god Benson scored. Hope his confidence rises now.

We were poor, MK worse and the ref. My god the ref.....
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2010
    Much better shape to the side with loan striker and Martin in behind.

Semedo and Racon both had best games this season. Jose even bursting forward on several occasions (is that REALLY his job?) ;-)

I was well pleased with this performance after the last few.
  • I think our best central defensive pairing should be Fortch and Dailly. JF was my MOM. Francis whacks the ball upticks too quickly for my liking. Benson had his best match in a Charlton shirt. Was in the right place at the right time to get on the end of a fantastic cross from Reid. MKD were very average and didn't look like scoring. But then again, neither did we for long periods.
  • Poor game. The ref just gave so many soft free kicks and a lot of them seemed to be the wrong way. Let's hope this kick starts Benson's Charlton career.
  • wow, i knew it was gonna be poor from the comments about our recent performances, but i didnt expect it to be that bad.

now, a win is a win and i applaud the players for three points but the difference in class from last year is frightening. Had a barney with a bloke in M block NU over Reid. He was calling PP every name under the sun for bringing him on, but an unfit Riedy is better than any player we had out there tonight. made all the difference coming on and his cross for Benson was class.

I thought Fortune looked quality. apart from that im struggling. Semedo okay without the ball. Waggy must have touched it about 3 times. Racon did well 1st half but was anonimous 2nd. Francis is woeful imo.

Couldnt see a goal coming from anywhere to be honest and there was one point where Doherty had the ball and just had to clip it forward and it went out of play, that the game wouldnt have looked out of place down danson park!

sorry to be so negative after a win but its a good job mk dons were just as bad.

Ref was pony too.
  • Fortune must start every time instead of Llera

According to the stats, MKD managed only 1 shot on target - I though JF played a blinder.

Delighted to win, but still v worried that we don't create enough danger in the box.
  • 3 points! still not an amazing performance but i am happy with the defence (fortune mostly lol) and i suppose well done to Benson for getting hes foot there. Reid doing GREAT as he always does, and yes i agree with the comments Martin works very hard, BUT does over do things alot, less is more sometimes. Overall, 7th position and 4 points from the 2 home games aint overall that bad! :-) HARD next home game tho :-S.
  • [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Reid doing GREAT as he always does
    Wasn't there tonight, but "as he always does"? Reid's not been great this season, especially when it comes to putting crosses in.
  • Reid in front of wagstaff all day long ...... If reid performs we'll get results
    Pleased for benno ,NLA's coaching of the team has worked
    Just felt an odd nothing game tonight ,no real goal mouth action , just a real boring game of football but amazing how good that goal going in can make you feel , the binary bores are back in town !

Play offs 55% the shame of a third third tier season on the spin again 45%

Brentford has to sell out now surely:-)
  • Reid in front of wagstaff all day long ...... If reid performs we'll get results
    Pleased for benno ,NLA's coaching of the team has worked
    Just felt an odd nothing game tonight ,no real goal mouth action , just a real boring game of football but amazing how good that goal going in can make you feel , the binary bores are back in town !

Play offs 55% the shame of a third third tier season on the spin again 45%

Brentford has to sell out now surely:-)
  • Well i ment that in a way that Reid aint been playing great great, but he creates alot of chances ... or it could be that i over praised him because i am happy for the 3 points tonight lol! sorry haha.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Reid in front of wagstaff all day long ...... If reid performs we'll get results
    On the left definitely.

How did Martin do behind Benson?

Who should be the front two on Saturday (counting Martin as one if he plays there)? Wagstaff or Martin on the right?
  • Early ball in benno scores straight out the nla coaching manual.

Like it Oohaa like it unlike any of our previous managers I would do it for nowt
  • edited September 2010
    A huge relief.

Don't mind admitting i would have dreaded having to look on here over the next few days had we not got that winner. One goal, such thin margins that can make such a difference betwenn contentment and abusive anger.

I thought 1st half we were solid, playing a decent tempo yet looking largely devoid of ideas in the final third. 2nd half was a continuation of the same, with frustration starting to kick in and MK Dons looking more comfortable with 'their lot'.

And then Kyel Reid entered the fray.

This lad will play in spells, and when he is on song he is a Championship game changer, let alone League One. Whether he had the impact he had if he was playing the full 90, i don't know, and in fairness Jackson on the left put in a decent performance. But Reid come on and provided the quality to change the game.

Delighted for Benson. If we are to have a fair season then we need at least one striker scoring goals, hopefully that will be the start for him and not a false dawn. Huge move for him this, confidence plays a massive part when stepping up a level and having a bit of expectation upon you, and for strikers its only really goals that provide that confidence.

Elsewhere, as Stone suggested it was the best shift Semedo and Racon have put in this season, and for Racon it was his best game for a very long time. Always technically sound, he seemed to cover a few more yards that bit quicker, have a bit more bite about him and seemed to want to dictate play, rather than just play a part in it.

Fry and Jackson provided a very sound and balanced left side. Like the look of Fry, think he is going to have a decent career at a higher level than this for sure.

Forch seemed to win a lot of people's approval, though i think a lot of that is to do with the fact he hasn't been in the firing line over the last couple of years. Positionally he looked sound, read the game and intercepted very well, and provided a nice foil for a leading Doc. But this was no real game to make a full assessment on Fortune, MK Dons were as powder puff in attack as we have been at our worst. But you can only deal with what is in front of you, and they dealt with it well.

Other big positive for me was the way the crowd largely stuck with it. Its been a frustrating run, and it was looking like being yet another of those days but the crowd never turned, and got what was well deserved.

Only real disappointment for me was Wagstaff. He key asset is his pace, yet did not have a single attempt at their full back, or provide any form of injection going forward. The game went on around him, and when he did see the ball it was a two touch, control a five yard lay off every time.

Overall, its still 'not great'. But it is showing tentative signs of encouragement, and very different to the end of the Pardew spell when teams with lesser players would come to the Valley and dominate games. We could still benefit from being a little more adventurous, but i got back in the car happy with a win and hopeful we can move it up a notch. That is the real key, we need to put in a run of sustained improved performances if we are to have a real chance.
  • Martin before wagstaff!
  • Remember - new team, needs time t el. Wil improve. MOM was Racon by a country mile, especially the first half.
    If he can keep this team together I still think we can come good. If you can still get 16-1 get on.

Best player on the pitch - Dean Lewington. Has been there for years, deserves a crack in a higher league.
  • Martin was quiet behind Benson, got more involved when put on wing. Today was a typical 'Man Utd' result, play average but grind out the win, i thought the game had 0-0 all over it. Parky had to take a lot of abuse just behind the dugout in West Stand, as soon as Reid was brought on the abuse was silenced more.
  • It so funny how we all see differently to me Mk played the better kept possession better but no strikers.

Our passes was in behind/to far in front of the player

We had few moments but offered very little goal threat.

Defensively we looked solid enough but our distribution from the centre pair of hanging the ball up was all too easy for mk

Parky got the subs right as I felt both were pretty poor.
    Racon a good game I'm still unconvinced?

As the home side I want us to domoniate more but 3 points is three points I suppose.

Pleased for benson good finished and worked his nuts of but play two up Martin was like a lamb to the slaughter with the high balls up against the big centre halts
  • Not very creative, but a hard fought team, well done...
    Thought the defence looked quality today, fry in particular
  • I thought it was poor. The goal by Benson will merely paper over the cracks.

Fortune was good, and Reid had a good impact from the bench. Otherwise poor.
  • edited September 2010
    Racon was excellent, best game from him for a couple of years, he needs to play like that every week....Semedo also excellent, the work rate all over the pitch was very good.
    Just as well Benson scored, but John Still is right, Benson needs lots of early crosses into the area and Kyel supplied it.
    it was Fry interception up to Reid with space to work with, he bombed on, lovely low cross edge of 6 yard area, Benson tucked it away, with Abbott ready to pounce too.
    Three points, we could do with a win from one of our next two away league games, and we will be getting a bit back, must consolidate.
    BTW Warner worries me on crosses and set plays.....but clean sheet, one vital interception at 0-0.