Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

J League

Just back from the Osaka derby. Fantastic game ended 3-2 to Gamba. Amazing experience. Probably the best football experience I've had away from the UK.

40% of the crowd were women, beer in the ground (whilst watching the game), singing throughout, big flags, good football but enough mistakes to make it interesting, octopus balls in batter at half time, recycling of rubbish and best of all, players who showed some humility at a big crowd turning out rather than a complacent few half above the head claps.

Fantastic - soccer has evolved first here in Japan. Hopefully UK soccer will follow suit.

Comments

• Went to see Sanfreece Hiroshima v Hakata last season and it was an enjoyable experience,ticket and tube and coach to the stadium with programme was about £15.00.

Fantastic food with no waiting, beers in the ground,and an amazing atmosphere.
  • Kobe Wing stadium yesterday - used in 2002. Amazing place with an incredible sliding roof. Crap game against Cerezo Osaka which ended 0-0, but another brilliant experience watching soccer in Japan. £16 ticket in one of the world's finest stadiums and a brilliant atmosphere considering only 13,000 there. Also, at the end of a 0-0 draw the players still went, as one, to each stand and bowed in gratitude for the support; it shames British soccer. I recommend it.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Kobe Wing stadium yesterday - used in 2002. Amazing place with an incredible sliding roof. Crap game against Cerezo Osaka which ended 0-0, but another brilliant experience watching soccer in Japan. £16 ticket in one of the world's finest stadiums and a brilliant atmosphere considering only 13,000 there. Also, at the end of a 0-0 draw the players still went, as one, to each stand and bowed in gratitude for the support; it shames British soccer. I recommend it.

Sounds very plastic to me
  • Smug gits, we had to endure Charlton Dagenham. ;-)
  • This week was Kyoto Sanga vs. Sanfrecce Hiroshima. I was a little bit sceptical. A team adrift in the relegation zone vs. a mid-table side in an athletics stadium, with an average attendance of about 8k. Was still a bloody good day though. Hiroshima had a Bulgarian centre half who'd played 42 internationals. He was class and Hiroshima ran out 3-0 winners. Good atmosphere considering the game and the battered octopus balls were to die for.
  • If you are still there next season we should meet up, Ash
    I'm also a huge fan of the whole 'scene'. The enjoyment is hugely enhanced by the good spirits shown by all the crowd, whoever they support, the politeness of absolutely everyone, the reasonable prices and ready supply of drinks.
    Just how it should be, though for me lacking just a little genuine passion - but maybe that is my inability to adjust culturally to the Japanese sense of passion.
  • Definitely up for meeting up Floyd. I know what you mean about passion, but as you say, I think the Japanese express their emotions differently. Also, in the scheme of things, it's quite a fledgling league as it almost went completely tits up in the 90's so it obviously lacks the history and the rivalries etc. Absolutely great day out though, as you know.
  • Agreed
    Cant think of too many better ways to get through 4000 yen for an afternoon of entertainment drinks food and transport.
    Are you Kobe based?
    We are over for a wedding next year (again!), so really hope we can meet.

Sad to say I quite enjoy the baseball too - though I cant stand the game itself!
  • I'm Osaka based currently. I'm yet to pick a team as I've only been here a month. I see it as an organic process! I see the foreigners in their team shirts and they look a bit desperate. I'm leaning toward Gamba, but Sanfrecce were a good team today and had some good support.

I tried to get baseball tickets but the last 4 games of the season were sold out. Hanshin Tigers are the local team. I actually quite enjoy it on the box. Not sure if I'll be here when you come, but let me know.