Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pub Help Required

edited September 2010 in Not Sports Related
It is a task of mine to find a decent local(ish) pub for a group blokes who go out together 4 times a year. We've been doing it for a few years now and I am beginning to run out of pubs that fit our criteria. Maybe there a few gems around I've missed.
Can anyone help by suggesting anywhere that meets the following requirements:-

Within 5 mile radius of Eltham Park
Serves good quality Real Ale
Not a food pub
No loud music
No kids
No chavs
No hoodies
Not a Wetherspoon

We've already done the following:-
Dacre Arms
Beehive
Park Tavern
Crown (Chislehurst)
Robin Hood & Little John
Prince Albert - Bexleyheath
Bull - Shooters Hill
Spanish Galleon
The Pilot
Sydney Arms
Plume of Feathers - Greenwich.
Richard I

So you can see the type of pub we use. On the short list for the next is Ramblers Rest, Alma - Sidcup, Red Lion Shooters Hill, British Oak, The Volunteer - BxHeath, Charcoal Burner. Any cautionary tales on these equally welcome.
We are in the 45-55 age bracket.

Thank you.

Comments

• The Earl Haig in Bexleyheath is a good shout.

No music, no kids, doesn't have all the T.V. screens, so won't have to the football crowd in.

Does do a bit of food though.

Is also frequented by Steve Sutherland and his wife.
  • edited September 2010
    the tiger's head - chislehurst
  • I think the Volunteer has kareoke on some nights and wouldnt imagine it being a good choice tho I have not been in for a few years.

Charcoal has no atmosphere but might suit.

Red Lion is supposedly to be a bit clicky - careful who you look at but again thats only what I've heard - i've never been in.

Is Deptford within 5 miles? The Dog and Bell has a great name but have not visited it yet. Tho is on my to do list.

dog and bell
  • isnt there a nice boozer or two in bexley village?
  • Dog and Bell yes, I have considered that. It is a good pub and tbh honest I'd forgotten about it. Good beer certainly.
  • Alma had a spruce up last month, would recommend it for your crowd.

Volunteer is ok, very small and can be a little clicky. Has singer on at weekends.

Earl Haig is nice but gets very busy Friday evenings

Couple of Sydney Arms, if you haven't been to the one down Old Perry St that is nice

Ramblers is nice

Charcoal i'm not that mad on
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

Is that a dig at me and my boring middle age, middle class friends?
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]the tiger's head - chislehurst

that's a food pub
  • The Ramblers is very small isn't it? There's only 6 of us mind.
    Yeah Perry St one we've done,
    I used to go to the other Sydeny Arms in Lewsiham years ago, wonder what that's like now?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

No theres just something about the place which doesnt have an atmopshere but perhaps you dont mind about lack of atmosphere as with a group of men.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard to find a pub that does no food at all. The Bulls Head in Chislehurst does food but is big enough with separate bars to avoid. Youngs is the beer in there.

The Ramblers Rest is a decent boozer, also does food however, and has a selection of two or three real ales such as Adnams, Brakspears and Charles Wells. It can get crowded though dependent on when you propose to visit.

I've not been in it myself for years (no need really with the Ramblers there) but I've heard good reports of the Imperial Arms which is also Chislehurst and staggering distance of the Ramblers.
  • I checked out the Imperial the other day. It's gone downhill to say the least.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]isnt there a nice boozer or two in bexley village?[/quote]

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/32/32093/Kings_Head/Bexley

Kings Head is your best bet in Bexley village as the rest IMHO don't fit Chirpy's criteria;

The George - Decent ale, but loud music pub at weekends. Some youth and does food.
    Millers Arms - DJ at weekends, ale ok.
    Bar Lorca - No real ale, trendy bar rather than a pub!
    Railway Tavern - Never been in there, but hear it's a locals pub, if you know what I mean! Ale supposed to be good though.
    Trax - The opposite of what you're looking for!
  • Trax is closed.
  • [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]the tiger's head - chislehurst

that's a food pub

it is. sorry i read it wrong and thought he did want food. i'm just thick anyway.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]

The Bull (Shootershill) has a distinctly upper class clientele, so not surprisingly didnt suit ; )
    But reference the Red Lion, Curbit_it is right.
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]

The Bull (Shootershill) has a distinctly upper class clientele, so not surprisingly didnt suit ; )
    But reference the Red Lion, Curbit_it is right.

The Red Lion must have changed in the last 30-35 years (!) I used to go there more than The Bull when I lived in the area and Monty Banks was the guvnor. The one Shooters Hill pub I hardly ever frequented was The Eagle which was Watneys back in the day.
  • Kings Head is your best bet in Bexley village as the rest IMHO don't fit Chirpy's criteria;

The George - Decent ale, but loud music pub at weekends. Some youth and does food.
    Millers Arms - DJ at weekends, ale ok.
    Bar Lorca - No real ale, trendy bar rather than a pub!
    Railway Tavern - Never been in there, but hear it's a locals pub, if you know what I mean! Ale supposed to be good though.
    Trax - The opposite of what you're looking for!

You forgot the black horse in Bexley Village, Albert Road a little gem off the beaten track, Saga drinks real ale and goes there.

go there for a pint a check it out...... alwways a good excuse....

You have already mentioned the Robin Hood, which has a decent reputation, especially for the real ale.

Yeah the Kings head is ok, but gets busy with non locals.

The Railway tavern got absoluted slatted a couple of months ago by pub spy, so drinker beware!... been in there a couple of times , been in worse!
    Forget the rest! re Bexley Village.
  • Red lion was always pricey never thought it as clicky though
  • Yes Ken, forgot about Black Horse...as you state "off the beaten track" a bit.....nice pint of Guinness there too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't be tempted by The Eagle.

Live in Red Lion Lane and went to school there. Used to drink in The Red Lion in the early 70s.

Moved away from the area for 30 years, walked back and you would hardly notice the difference.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I checked out the Imperial the other day. It's gone downhill to say the least.

Shame, it used to be mint
  • what about the hare and billet in blackheath?
  • The Black Boy in Avery Hill used to be OK, but I haven't been there in many years
  • British Oak in Old Dover Road
  • edited September 2010
    Isn't the Beehive in New Eltham supposed to be good now?
  • sorry - ignore me - you've been there
  • Jolly Farmers in Lewisham used to do Gravity pulled Real Ales, not sure if it still does though........
  • [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]The Black Boy in Avery Hill used to be OK, but I haven't been there in many years

that is a serious no
  • Thanks for all the advice everyone. We're going to the Ramblers tonight.
    T.C.E - We really like The Bull Shooters Hill. Two bars ie public and Saloon, sadly you don't get that much these days.
    I'll check the Red Lion one day soon, I went there a few years ago and it was still a good boozer.