Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best full backs for England

Who were the best 2 full backs to play for England (post war)?

Comments

• Options
    1. Bobby Moore.
    2. A little harder.

I rated Sol Campbell highly circa 1998 and Stuart Pearce.
  • Options
    as a pairing or individual left back and right back ... best left back ashley cole
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]best left back ashley cole
    Agreed.
  • Options
    pains me to say it, but Gary Neville was a quality right back
  • Options
    The Leeds United Sixties Left fullback Cooper.Unstoppable.
    His teamate Reaney was class at right fullback.
  • Options
    Luke young & Chris powell
  • Options
    Stuart Pearce best Left back

Gary Neville Rb
  • Options
    kenny sansom, left back
  • Options
    Ashley Cole and Gary Neville. Two odious characters but very good footballers.
  • Options
    Individually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]1. Bobby Moore.
    2. A little harder.

I rated Sol Campbell highly circa 1998 and Stuart Pearce.[/quote]

Moore & Campbell were centre halves weren't they?

Phil Neal was a decent RB, but Gary Neville was very good in his prime. I also remember liking Mick Mills as a player when I was a kid!

Ashley Cole has a terrible personality (well certainly portrayed in the media as such), but is a world class LB.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ray Wilson, Terry Cooper, Stuart Pearce and (through gritted teeth) Cashley are my left back candidates. I'd probably choose Wilson but I am an old git!

As for right back Jimmy Armfield, George Cohen, Paul Reaney, Garry Stevens (the Everton one) and Gary Neville are my candidates. I'd probably choose Cohen which, unintentionally, means I've chosen a pair too. Cohen gets the nod because I don't remember him ever being skinned for pace which Neville was from time to time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Arry Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]1. Bobby Moore.
    2. A little harder.

I rated Sol Campbell highly circa 1998 and Stuart Pearce.

Moore & Campbell were centre halves weren't they?

Phil Neal was a decent RB, but Gary Neville was very good in his prime. I also remember liking Mick Mills as a player when I was a kid!

Ashley Cole has a terrible personality (well certainly portrayed in the media as such), but is a world class LB.

Judas did play right back for England a few times, notably replacing Gary Neville at right back during Euro '96. Think he also played in a few of the warm up games at RB too.
    At Spurs, he played across the back four, in midfield and up front on a few occasions too. He actually came through the youth ranks as a CF.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    Terry Cooper, Stuart Pearce, Kenny Sansom, Id put Wayne Bridge in front of Trashley, I just dont rate or like the bloke
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Id put Wayne Bridge in front of Trashley, I just dont rate or like the bloke

WTF? He is not a very nice person, but Ashley Cole is streets ahead of Wayne Bridge. Cole now plays left back, left midfield and left forward for Chelsea and England, all within the same game. Listen to any commentary of a game in which he is playing in and he is mentioned almost non-stop because he influences the play so much. Probably England's best player in their respective positions.
  • Options
    May not be popular because of his second spell with us but I'd put Danny Mills before Gary Neville every time.

Left back has to be Ashley Cole. Love him or hate him, he's a class player.