Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This is england'86

Starts tonight, the trailer after this is england last night looked awsome. Thought this is england was an emsense film. Shane meadows is one of the best film makers ever, dead mans shoes ect.. the kid who plays shaun was on soccer am saying that none of the cast had watched the worldcup in 86 so those scenes they just watched it as live, and the reactions at maradona's hand ball will be classic. Anywho could be one of the best tv programmes in ages ch4 tonight 10pm.

Comments

• Options
    hope better than the film which was a tame look at skinhead culture
  • Options
    How could they not have seen the handball before?

Still looking forward to it though!
  • Options
    Great film. One of my favourite films of the last few years. Its not supposed to be an insight into skinhead culture, its a rights of passage film which has a gang of skinheads as its main characters.
  • Options
    There's already been talks of a This is England '90. I would like to see a prequel to the film, before the guy went to prison.
  • Options
    looking forward to the series enjoyed the film
  • Options
    Am I the only person who thought Made in England was self indulgent twaddle?

Meadows has talent but it's not like we haven't seen the same style of filmmaking from people like Loach and Leigh.

I just don't buy into this 'ground breaking' tag he's got.
  • Options
    What sparrow said, its more about the choices you make, those who went off with woddy didn't want to go down the darkside of the skinhead culture, also how the NF tried to corupt the true skinhead culture, and a fairly true reflection of britian in the early 80s.
  • Options
    im with you valley11,hoping for better in series.
  • Options
    I agree, Loach & Leigh are in a different class. I thought the film was a a little bit above a run of the mill English Film, which had a very disappointing ending (that you could see coming a mile off) saying that though, I will be watching TIE86 this evening.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Loach and Leigh were trailblazers for this genre and if you are "of a certain age" it is probable that you will prefer their work as you can identify with it more. I can still vividly recall the uproar caused by Cathy Come Home when it was first shown. At the time media hysteria was unusual not like today!

That said, as an old git, I thought Shane Meadows' This Is England (the original) was one of the better "modern" films I've seen and certainly captured the bleakness and despair of some "working class" (inverted commas because rather than working unemployment was rife) areas in the early eighties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look forward to this, should be quality
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]Its not supposed to be an insight into skinhead culture, its a rights of passage film which has a gang of skinheads as its main characters.

Spot on. Probably best to look elsewhere if you just want a piece on skins. Enjoyed the film over all and thought Thomas Turgoose was a revelation. Let's see how the series unfolds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]What sparrow said, its more about the choices you make, those who went off with woddy didn't want to go down the darkside of the skinhead culture, also how the NF tried to corupt the true skinhead culture, and a fairly true reflection of britian in the early 80s.

NF corrupt skinhead culture? Meeting of small like minds more like.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the series of Richard Allen Skinhead books featuring Joe Hawkin in the early 70's...?
  • Options
    Well that wernt that great was it. I hope it gets better
  • Options
    Poor...
  • Options
    I'm waiting for series 3 of The Inbetweeners. After that C4 will cease to exist.
  • Options
    How comes the older guys were still hanging out with them after what happened at the end of the film? Seemed to be too much of a comedy.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am hoping that this weeks was an introduction to the main guys .

Next weeks better be good the whole wedding scene was a waste of time imo.

Obvious now the black dude and the girl who looks like a boy are going to get together but I didn't tune in for an 80s chick flick

Very disapointing
  • Options
    Agreed very poor after what I was hoping for. Plus to many fecking ad breaks!! Few little good bits, the kid who plays shaun said on soccer am it gets darker after episode 2, think first 2 are just to setup shaun meeting the group again. All in all a tad disapointing 5 out of 10 for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Agreed very poor after what I was hoping for. Plus to many fecking ad breaks!! Few little good bits, the kid who plays shaun said on soccer am it gets darker after episode 2, think first 2 are just to setup shaun meeting the group again. All in all a tad disapointing 5 out of 10 for me.
    The trailer at the end didn't really give that impression, the chick flick seems to continue and a dated MILF joke from American Pie. Would be surprised if it doesn't get darker though.
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    Not as good as I was expecting, hopefully it gets better, will give it another go. However, I really liked the character that bullied Shaun to get the girl, cracked me up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Not as good as I was expecting, hopefully it gets better, will give it another go. However, I really liked the character that bullied Shaun to get the girl, cracked me up.
    Yeah, reminded me of this want to be bully at school who was also very slow and said similar things. Nobody wants your ginger chips!
  • Options
    It's a TV series, not a film. It doesn't all have to happen in the first episode or first 10 minutes.
  • Options
    there is only 4 episodes though henners so they aint got long
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]there is only 4 episodes though henners so they aint got long

Another three hours.

Go and watch the first hour of the Godfather and see how it builds. You don't need a car chase/murder in the first 10 minutes or a contrived revelation of every character's back story like in most modern TV shows or films.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]there is only 4 episodes though henners so they aint got long

Another three hours.

Go and watch the first hour of the Godfather and see how it builds. You don't need a car chase/murder in the first 10 minutes or a contrived revelation of every character's back story like in most modern TV shows or films.
    There's already been a film though, the main characters have been built up.
  • Options
    did you like it henners
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]did you like it henners

It was good, not great. Shaun is a better drawn character (and actor) than the others and it works better when it's around him.