Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

benson apparently passes medical **Signs for undisclosed fee, on OS**

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
The deal will be announced tomorrow. £250,000 plus add on,s

Comments

• Options
    Has he scored for them this season yet?
  • Options
    If true that this saga is coming to an end on Monday then hopefully we'll see what all the fuss is about Tuesday
  • Options
    250k plus add ons would be crazy money for a team in our financial position
  • Options
    Don't you love it when these people come from nowhere, register and then give us some "insider" info like this?

In this case I reckon this person probably DOES have some info, but forgive me for being a bit sceptical!
  • Options
    Im not sure on this one.
    Dont see why all the fuss has been made.
    He is a nobody.

Yeah would be a great coup for us if he comes good and bangs 30 in, but this is Charlton we are on about here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]Has he scored for them this season yet?

no he hasnt scored in the league yet
    he scored once in pre-season and this was a penalty against thurrock
  • Options
    Alot of money for us and for a relatively unproven 30 year old. Let's hope it works out.
  • Options
    250k plus add ons, really hope he does the business as this seems like a big gamble for us both financially and in terms of the players age and history.
  • Options
    I'm also certain it won't be that amount
  • Options
    If this is true I question the amount being spent and wonder whether he is worth it and wonder whether their is better available for a similar fee-maybe there isn't. I think 250k at this time in our history is the similar to 5mil in our Premier days, in fairness to the player I know very little about him and he could be fantastic and score the goals that get us out of this hideous league and we may consider it to be one of our most astute purchases of recent times. For the sake of our season I hope it will be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton nil[/cite]The deal will be announced tomorrow. £250,000 plus add on,s

Where did you hear this Hazel?
  • Options
    For £250k we won't get some exciting young goalscorer from this league or even League Two. We could gamble on someone who hasn't played above the BSP, but it's a big step up. Not impossible as Millwall showed with Morison but someone who has scored goals in League Two is that bit more proven.

Darren Bent and Clive Mendonca were gambles weren't they? Anyone who scored regulary in this league last season isn't likely to be affordable and available. Parky said the other day he was quoted £1m for a League Two striker. Can't be many regular goalscorers a this level or League Two who would only cost £200k or so.

Whichever striker we sign it's going to be a gamble. Let's hope if we do sign him he's the right one. How he does is going to be partly down to the chances we can create.
  • Options
    spot on Scoham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Darren Bent and Clive Mendonca were gambles weren't they? Anyone who scored regulary in this league last season isn't likely to be affordable and available. Parky said the other day he was quoted £1m for a League Two striker. Can't be many regular goalscorers a this level or League Two who would only cost £200k or so.

Whichever striker we sign it's going to be a gamble. Let's hope if we do sign him he's the right one. How he does is going to be partly down to the chances we can create.

Bent and Mendonca were big gambles perhaps Bent even more so and they paid off handsomely and they are royalty as far as Charlton are concerned and rightly so. At this stage Benson represents a similar gamble which if it pays off will be fantastic for all parties and in fairness to him there is no reason to suppose he couldn't be successful with us.
    I presume that the League 2 player in question is Adam Le Fondre, he is certainly a good striker but whether he is worth a million is open to debate. As you say- it is also down to how many chances we create for the striker in question too.
  • Options
    Well, today's Sun quotes Benson as saying he's in two minds whether to join us and hasn't made his mind up yet, hence why he was playing for Daggers on Saturday. I can't see this going through now. Time to look else where me thinks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: COOPS[/cite]Well, today's Sun quotes Benson as saying he's in two minds whether to join us and hasn't made his mind up yet, hence why he was playing for Daggers on Saturday. I can't see this going through now. Time to look else where me thinks.

well either the sun has been reading on here and copying or i was right one or the other

Benno has been in 2 minds for ages and is fiercly loyal to John Still

i think we will see him in a charlton shirt very soon but this has been a very very hard decision for him to make he loves D&R and rightly so for what they have given him and he loves John Still

i just hope that this doesnt all go wrong and he is back there in a year with us making a big loss
  • Options
    if he is still in two minds then I'd look elsewhwere. We wouldn't be sure his heart was really in it. We need someone who really wants to play for us and see us as an opportunity for greater and better things. Sounds like Benson doesn't.
  • Options
    I can only commend loyalty to a team and manager, but it does ask the question if he will be able to transfer such loyalty to CAFC & PP?????

If he does transfer I bet he doesn't play on Tuesday and perhaps that has been the sticking point.
  • Options
    I'm sorry - I am the most Rose tinted of fans but this one worries me.

I just can't see how this one will pay off. Would love him to be the next Sir Clive but just think anything around £200k plus is too much for us
  • Options
    You have to understand the relationship between john still and benno

Taken from non league quite late and culminating in scoring in the playoff final at wembley

Benno is not your money grabbing football he is a real nice fella with morals and not a bit pretencious

We need someone able to cope with pressure I hope this is not a sign that he can't
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its upto RM and Parky to decide if its enough.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like the sound of him as a person and he probably deserves a chance at a comparitively 'big club'. This is much better than Nicky Bailey's way when he held blackmailed Southend . Benno would probably then be as loyal to us.

I'm not sure of him as a player 31 in a months time and playing League One for the first time . Certainly not one for the future , but if he got 20 goals I would be happy. In Parky I hope to trust.

Either we will see him play tomorrow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I'm sorry - I am the most Rose tinted of fans but this one worries me.

I just can't see how this one will pay off. Would love him to be the next Sir Clive but just think anything around £200k plus is too much for us

Neither can I Swiz. I can see that RM may feel under pressure to gamble yet again, dig a bit deeper and get that striker we so much need. But I also thought Parky didn't want players to come to us just for the money. Add in more question marks for a player whose loyalties to his existing club, as already said, are clearly very strong, and I don't feel easy.
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like its the money he'd come here for, more the opportunity to play for a bigger club. If he turns it down he might be wondering what it might have been. Sounds like he doesn't want to let Still and the club down, he could be the difference between them getting relegated or staying up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]It doesn't sound like its the money he'd come here for, more the opportunity to play for a bigger club. If he turns it down he might be wondering what it might have been. Sounds like he doesn't want to let Still and the club down, he could be the difference between them getting relegated or staying up.

That makes sense, so thanks for that.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]I can only commend loyalty to a team and manager, but it does ask the question if he will be able to transfer such loyalty to CAFC & PP?????

If he does transfer I bet he doesn't play on Tuesday and perhaps that has been the sticking point.[/quote]

Forgot we were playing them
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If the fee is anywhere near correct it represents a huge financial gamble.

If there is the slightest doubt in the players mind we should be saying thanks but no thanks and walking away.

No problem with a player having loyalty, just dont want us to get stung.
  • Options
    You would like to think that Charlton are a bigger club in most peoples eyes, and the usual stock phrase in the business is 'we could not deny him the opportunity to go to a bigger club"......

I think the JPT game is a smoke screen, ever heard of any player refusing to play for his old club against us?, remember the West ham game against curbs, you had to think twice to remember who was playing for who!......

Benson's 'loyalty' aside..... seems a big punt to me, but a bigger punt if we do not get anyone in who is a striker!.

The worrying thing is that these 'proven goalscoreres' in a lower league have often failed to produce.aka. Fleetwood and Dickson, two recent examples with us.

Frankly I am no help, I have no idea who I would sign at this level, but I am unsure about this guy, I get the impression he is playing at his level, and knows that!

We shall have to see as they say........
  • Options
    We have to gamble to get out of this league, if we are still here next year we are in the brown stuff.

I'd like to know how much you financial geniuses think we should be spending then on a 20 goal striker.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Agree with what Scoham said. We are desperate for a goal scorer and 250 k is the going rate for even a soon to be 31 year old with no history of playing at above our level. Gamble ? Well every penny spent on players is that. I think PP and Murray knew that going down the non league route again ala Dickson and Fleetwood in the desperate hope of turning up another Morison was more of a gamble than paying the money for Benson.