Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A question to those with a Sky HD box

Apologies if this has been raised before but on Sky Sports News, can Sky HD subscribers see all of the latest scores down the RH side of the screen?
I have a sneaking suspicion that for the anti-diluvian (or just plain tight) non-HD subscribers (e.g. yours truly) they are knowingly chopping off the RH side of the latest scores on the RH side of the screen, so as to "induce" the neanderthals to upgrade to HD - the cunning chumps.
Or maybe I'm just useless with the screen-size adjustment thingamejig!

PS Sorry - wrong category

Comments

• Options
    It's designed for HD 16:9, I think if you adjust to 'Letterbox' setting you can see all of it though
  • Options
    Cheers - now they've muted Jeff Stelling!! .........wish they'd mute Dean WIndarse
  • Options
    Yes we can see everything well I can anyhow
  • Options
    Can anyone please advise me?

I am a Sky subscriber with a Skyplus HD box. I am thinking of cancelling my sky subscription for the summer months, and we will probably renew again in October.

I have three questions that I am hoping a fellow Lifer can help me with.

1. If I cancel my Sky subscription can I still use my my Skyplus HD box to receive freeview channels?

2. If the answer is yes. Then can I still use the Skyplus box to record freeview channels.

3. Finally if I can receive freeview channels can I then pause and hold these programes as I currently do?

Any advice would be greatly received.
  • Options
    Good question. Am toying with dumping sky myself completely. Would be interested to know the answer in regards to the box!
  • Options
    I believe they can be used for freesat, think you're able to phone sky and get the skyplus service activated (at a price).
  • Options
    My gut instict is No, in that you will no longer be receiving signal throught the satelite into the sky box, as they would turn it off. You would need a freeview aeriel/receiver tp pick up the freeview channels.

there again i could be totally wrong.

Try the sky hd forum on digital spy.
  • Options
    Im sure everything comes through the viewing card so once they cut that off it will just be a dead box.
  • Options
    it's the same Astra satellite isn't it, so a retune should allow you to access the freesat channels without the card in but i doubt whether the recording and probs even the tv guide would still work soz...

ps if everything comes through the viewing card why are all the council estates smothered in those unsightly dishes?
  • Options
    The older generation of Sky boxes worked for free view without a viewing card. I would imagine the new ones are the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you've got a terrestrial antenna and can plug it straight into the box you should still get freeview. The card and dish become redundant once you've stopped your subscription, it just becomes a normal receiver then.

It worked for me when I cancelled previously, but they didn't tell me.
  • Options
    You will be able to get freesat but won't be able to record or pause TV unless you pay sky a fee which I think is a tenner a month

Cancel and they will often be offering a discount before the end of your 30 days notice. Not paid full price sky ever by keep cancelling
  • Options
    I went through this, and @blinkant is right. Except they may ask more than a tenner a month. I've got a Humax Freesat box now, and am very happy with it, not least because that twat no longer gets any of my money.
  • Options
    1. If I cancel my Sky subscription can I still use my my Skyplus HD box to receive freeview channels?
    Yes.

2. If the answer is yes. Then can I still use the Skyplus box to record freeview channels.
    No. You have to pay for a Sky+ subscription. This applies to the new BUY AND KEEP option - you can buy a movie permanently for your Sky box, but only for as long as you have a Sky+ subscription.

3. Same as 2.