Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goodbye London

edited August 2010 in Not Sports Related
Around four this afternoon I was awoken by a police officer shouting "Get off the street" minutes later our road was swamped with a rapid response team, two fire engines, three ambulances and numerous officers. When I first moved to London incidents like this shocked me, but today it just felt like an inconvenience. This is the fifth shooting / stabbing in my street in the last two years and has sadly become part of London life. I'll be moving in the next two weeks but any affection I had for this house or this area dissapeared today.

Comments

• Options
    I love London, me. Love it. I can't imagine living anywhere else in this country. Manchester at a pinch, but nowhere that has more trees than houses.
  • Options
    Guess it depends where you live in London, I generally love most of it but there are areas I would not even want to walk through let alone live in.
  • Options
    Same with all major cities bad parts and good parts.

Just very expensive!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Around four this afternoon I was awoken by a police officer shouting "Get off the street" minutes later our road was swamped with a rapid response team, two fire engines, three ambulances and numerous officers. When I first moved to London incidents like this shocked me, but today it just felt like an inconvenience. This is the fifth shooting / stabbing in my street in the last two years and has sadly become part of London life. I'll be moving in the next two weeks but any affection I had for this house or this area dissapeared today.[/quote]

Where do you live for god sake!?
  • Options
    Blimey, Mrs Windscreen ....... I live in a different world down here in Cornwall.

But I do remember the many years I worked in central London, the days of the IRA bomb blasts and being in my office when the windows shattered.

Peace of mind is a most valuable thing. Good luck with your move.
  • Options
    It's an absolute fucking shithole pretty much everywhere in London now. The odd area's OK, but you're never more than ten minutes' walk away from a complete dump (zones 1-4 at any rate). The only thing - the ONLY thing - keeping me here is my wife. Sooner or later I'm going to just fuck off somewhere on my own - if I don't I'll end up killing someone or being killed myself.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]It's an absolute fucking shithole pretty much everywhere in London now. The odd area's OK, but you're never more than ten minutes' walk away from a complete dump (zones 1-4 at any rate). The only thing - the ONLY thing - keeping me here is my wife. Sooner or later I'm going to just fuck off somewhere on my own - if I don't I'll end up killing someone or being killed myself.

Fella move we are
  • Options
    Moved down to the dull and dreary kent coast a couple of years ago. Best thing we ever did, pubs not closing, great resturants and the front pages of local papers consisting of seaweed crisis and shed burnt down on local allotment! plus most people seem to be south Londoners.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    London isnt really England as such is it ? its more a sink hole for the UK--Europe--- the World.

If i have enough dosh ill retire to Thailand although ill have to pay for everything and register every year to make sure i stil have enough dosh to pay for everything. Funny thing is my wife says she wants to live in both London and Thailand ? and its her im more concerned about. as a chef she works late i have picked her up every night(almost) without fail for 17 years. The thought of her coming home on late night transport--- no way.
  • Options
    This is the greatest city on Earth. No question. No ifs, no buts. It has everything going for it.

Yes, it's terrible that there are incidents, acts of violence, anti-social behaviour. Crime and victims of crime are everywhere in London. But it's always been like that; and it's worse in many world-class cities. New York's a great city, but parts of it make London appear like Trumpton. My first sight in Manila? A dead body. Miami has sunshine and beaches, but also gangs, drugs and violence. (Incidentally, never, ever, ever forget to turn on your headlights in Miami). Rio has even better beaches. And even more violence.

How about Mexico? In Monterrey, this week, 72 people (58 men, 14 women) were murdered. In a single shoot out. But the murder rate is twice as bad in Brazil and five times as bad in Jamaica.

But, at least police, fire-fighters, ambulance crews and others turn up and do their job to make London a safer, better place to live.

It's the cultural capital of the world. The best sights, the best venues (sporting, music, theatre, food), the best people, the most cultural diversity, the highest levels of tolerance. It's not as good as it could be. But it's better than anywhere else.

Samuel Johnson said it right: "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life..."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where do you live Windscreen?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    London is great for young people, it has everything somebody under 30ish could want (except the beach perhaps). However when you have a family, London loses some of the magic, even though it is a way off, I doubt if I would want to bring up a family in London and would quite probably opt for one of the home counties. Having lived in Canterbury part time for 2 years for Uni, it certainly seems a nicer place to live for famillies and people who are a little older.

London is not perfect but if you love city life, I doubt there is a better place to live and work.
  • Options
    I moved out of London back in 1986 ( i'm from Plumstead) and i can honestly tell you it's the best thing i ever did.
    I only come back to watch Charlton and every time i drive through the City of my birth i breath a huge sigh of relief that i don't live there anymore.
    I now live in a nice market town. Great schools for my kids and with very little crime and my three bedroom house cost half the price it would in the smoke and best of all the people who live hear are English ( and i dont mean that in a racist way) . All this just 40 miles up the A1.
    If your thinking of getting out Do it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]best of all the people who live hear are English ( and i dont mean that in a racist way)
    In what way *do* you mean it then?
  • Options
    Yes cafcdan - I agree it is great for young people. There are so many opportunities in London as well. And I still think it is great, safe place to bring children up if you live in the suburbs. I think growing up in London (I grew up in Kent) also potentially provides you with a good perspective on life and the contrasts, cultures etc which exist I think.

Fucking good if you like a beer as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    (Chizz Wrote: In what way *do* you mean it then.)

In a way that i don't have to dodge knife wielding Somalians on way to taking my kids to school or have 18 different languages spoken in their classroom. If it's racist to not want that , then I'm guilty as charged.
  • Options
    *Fighting the temptation to point out that, actually some crimes are committed by "English" people*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]*Fighting the temptation to point out that, actually some crimes are committed by "English" people*

Yep your right. "Some" are.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you think London is getting worse then go to Paris!

A total and utter cesspit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]If you think London is getting worse then go to Paris!

i don't go anywhere without checking what mcs has to say about there first. and paris didn't score well with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love what London has to offer...theatres, music venues, foods from all corners of the world, diverse cultures...but I'm tired of the oppresion of fast life and high price living. My husbands 63 (I'm 27) and I really wish for quality from our lives from the time we have together. I've had a great time here, but things change and so do mindsets.
  • Options
    Which area of London are you in at the mo, Windscreen?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]If you think London is getting worse then go to Paris!

Amen. I hate going to our Paris office - the area it's in (Iena) isn't even that bad, but the whole city absolutely stinks, the people are arseholes (nothing like most of the rest of France) and I can't wait to get out of there quickly enough every time I go. I think my brother said it best when he said that the whole city looked like it needed bleaching.
  • Options
    Anyone who seriously makes the claim that London is the best city to live in
    1. Really hasnt travelled very much, or
    2. is lying

Johnson died in 1764 so quoting him really doesnt support the case that its the greatest city on earth, does it?
  • Options
    ha no generalising now beds. Mind you the stabbing in my road was somalians stabbing each other.All six of them on to one. Tho i do agree there are plenty of thick white people who carry knives. Think those scum junkies were who did harm to that lovely older lady.
  • Options
    For my sins I live in Tottenham...and yes I have travelled extensively, and yes apart from the untouched centre of Paris the rest is a shithole. Nice one Floyd...
  • Options
    oh an comparing a poor place like manilla to london leave off. Been there many a time cant compare cities like that to london. Love london myself but god do see its problems.
  • Options
    Agree - Chizz, you;ve made some daft comparisons to London there. Why don't you go the whole hog and chuck Barranquilla, Tijuana and Detroit into the mix?

For cities I've spent more than a few days in that are better than London in almost, if not every respect:

Sevilla
    Barcelona
    Valencia
    Toronto
    Ottawa
    Calgary
    Melbourne
    Munich
    Hannover
    Zurich
    Stockholm
    Rome
    Milan
    Catania
    Riga

And they're just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Admittedly I've spent time in some absolute holes (Palermo, Madrid, Trenton all spring to mind) but that list above is about 80% of cities I've visited for more than a few days - and means that 4 out of 5 places I've had any 'real' experience of are better than London. And I don't even have kids. Face it - this place is a shithole, end of.
  • Options
    Why don't you pish off then too Leroy?

You and windscreen can go and live somewhere together - I'm sure you'd love it.

Now, leave me to wallow in my New Eltham "shit hole".
  • Options
    I still miss the place.........