Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shopping Wind Ups

edited August 2010 in Not Sports Related
One thing that really does my head in when shopping with the missus is her insistence on buying bottled water. This week's trip we ended up with double the amount she usually gets because it was buy one get one half price!

Bottle water = biggest waste of money ever.

What's even more annoying is that when she takes water to bed at night, it's from the tap. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Comments

• one of the biggest generaters of 'waste' plastic ,,,
  • Why drink something thats been bottled for months when you can get fresh from the tap...thats the power of advertising.
  • Totally agree. However, I did recently hear that the average glass of tap water has passed through 10 people. Anyone know if there's any truth in this? Hasn't put me off to be fair.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Totally agree. However, I did recently hear that the average glass of tap water has passed through 10 people. Anyone know if there's any truth in this? Hasn't put me off to be fair.
    That's about right if you have Thames Water supplying you. In Perthshire they have highland spring water coming out of their taps!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Totally agree. However, I did recently hear that the average glass of tap water has passed through 10 people. Anyone know if there's any truth in this? Hasn't put me off to be fair.[/quote]

For me it depends who the 10 people are, if its the lovely from Countdown, I will drink it......
  • [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Totally agree. However, I did recently hear that the average glass of tap water has passed through 10 people. Anyone know if there's any truth in this? Hasn't put me off to be fair.

For me it depends who the 10 people are, if its the lovely from Countdown, I will drink it......

Pervert
  • [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Totally agree. However, I did recently hear that the average glass of tap water has passed through 10 people. Anyone know if there's any truth in this? Hasn't put me off to be fair.

Direct from source ideally!
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]

Direct from source ideally!

There's people out there who'd pay hundreds for that
  • throw in a 'waste plastic' display and it could be thousands (sorry, that may be a bit far)
  • My wife keeps shopping at Waitrose its the same stuff as ASDA but double the price grrrrrrrrr
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]One thing that really does my head in when shopping with the missus is her insistence on buying bottled water. This week's trip we ended up with double the amount she usually gets because it was buy one get one half price!

Bottle water = biggest waste of money ever.

What's even more annoying is that when she takes water to bed at night, it's from the tap. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm with you on this - Ban Bottled Water! Apart from being a waste of money it's a waste of resources - all that plastic, transported about using all that diesel - it's criminal.
  • Windscreen - Harsh......but fair
  • Two things that never fail to amaze me - both of which I'm sure have been covered on here before:

1) People of more 'advanced years', who it seems safe to assume don't go to work during the week, but choose to do their shopping during the Saturday morning rush.
    2) Those who queue up for more than five minutes at the checkout and then seem totally surprised by the fact they've also got to pay, so spend more time fumbling around for their cards or money.
  • rule number 1. Try to avoid ever going shopping with your wife and certainly not wife and kids - always ends in a row.
  • bottled water and expensive toilet paper both the biggest rip offs going.
  • And expensive Carlsberg.

;o)
  • I hate bottled water too, and it's marketers dream phrase, "don't drink the water". Wherever I've been I've drank the water and have never had a problem.

The thing I used to hate about shopping until I got wise to it was bogof deals on vegetables. Never buy them now, 'cos I know they are on their last legs.
  • Why is it that some bottled water that is labelled low fat or low in calories?

Me, I like full fat water and no substitute.
  • Just got back from Costa's and this thread seems the appropriate place to vent my spleen on a shopping related subject. It's a coffee shop/cafe i.e. a place to have a quick cuppa and maybe a bite to eat. It is NOT:-

An effing playgroup or a place to dump your screaming brats with your mate while you burger off to do a bit a bit of shopping before coming back and watching the kids while she does the same. Yes ladies this means you! Drink your drink, use the loo and leave like the rest of us.

Equally, it's is not an extension of your office. Don't sit there for 30 freaking minutes after finishing your drink talking about your regional sales strategy or doing an appraisal or some other BS when the rest of the paying customers have to fight each other for the remaining bar stool and perch there clinging to the 3 inches of worktop left to balance your cup on listening to your Alan Sugar impression.

There, that feels better....
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Why is it that some bottled water that is labelled low fat or low in calories?

Me, I like full fat water and no substitute.[/quote]

also when its labeled certified organic!
  • Sponsored links:

• When you get to the till with an overflowing trolley full of shopping and the cashier asks "Will you be needing bags?"

Now unless I've been missing a trick all of these years and sainsbury's have introduced a new system allowing customers to transport their shopping from the conveyor belt back to their homes through means of telepathy I would say that question is somewhat redundant.
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]When you get to the till with an overflowing trolley full of shopping and the cashier asks "Will you be needing bags?"

Now unless I've been missing a trick all of these years and sainsbury's have introduced a new system allowing customers to transport their shopping from the conveyor belt back to their homes through means of telepathy I would say that question is somewhat redundant.

Not really, a lot of people take their owns bags to reduce plastic waste, the staff are just being helpfull ffs.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]When you get to the till with an overflowing trolley full of shopping and the cashier asks "Will you be needing bags?"

Not really, a lot of people take their owns bags to reduce plastic waste, the staff are just being helpfull ffs.....

Pipe down with the "ffs" treacle. It is a humourous thread and my post isn't somehting that is gonna have me scribbling into Sainsburys Head office trying to get you sacked from your saturday job.

Yes some noble folk do indeed take their own plastic bags but i think when i am stood in a tshirt and shorts at the til it is pretty obvious I am not equiped with an army of carrier bags. I will of course bear your sentiments in mind over the weekend should I pop into waitrose. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]When you get to the till with an overflowing trolley full of shopping and the cashier asks "Will you be needing bags?"

No they are not being helpful. Until the day that someone invents invisible bags they can see for themselves whether you need bags or not. I had exactly the opposite the other day though. I dutifully took my rucksack to the shop unzipped it and opened it as wide as possible just for the woman on the till to stuff everything into carriers. That was even more annoying.
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]trying to get you sacked from your saturday job.

Perlease, not even Lidl will employ me ;-(
  • my big one is when you go into petrol stations to get something other than petrol and as you put it on the counter you say "just that thanks" and they will say 99 times out of 100 "any fuel?"

I feel like saying "what did I just say ? JUST THAT THANKS!" , twats
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]my big one is when you go into petrol stations to get something other than petrol and as you put it on the counter you say "just that thanks" and they will say 99 times out of 100 "any fuel?"

I feel like saying "what did I just say ? JUST THAT THANKS!" , twats
    lol i know what you mean does my head in
  • Two of my favourites:

I rarely use Burger King or MacDonalds or whatever but, if I have to, I always ask for "a Big Whopper Mac Wendy Cheeseburger, but only with onions ... no relish, no pickle etc ... just onions."

Invariably, on delivery, I will be asked if I want ketchup with that. Also, sometimes the cheeseburger will come with no cheese .. only onions ... "because that is what you asked for." I mean ... doesn't a cheeseburger, by definition, have to have cheese?

Second, at the supermarket checkout ... why is it that every item, even if you have 12 identical ... errm ... bottles of something, for example ... has to be scanned? Isn't there a button on the till which allows the operator to scan once and multiply by 12? And on that note, how come we have to empty the full and groaning basket or trolley to allow items to be scanned ... only to put the same items back into the same basket or trolley for onward transportation to the car?

I'd also introduce random 'double or quits' at the checkout. Imagine winning when you have £100 worth in the trolley? The occasional double-priced basket would be a hit worth taking.
  • I have got to go to ikea later. That is one big wind up
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]I have got to go to ikea later. That is one big wind up

Arrgghhh - trapped on a three hour route march just to buy a packet of tea lights.