Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greyhounds - Back To The Valley Celebration Night - 3/12/1992

Who, like me attended this event, and/or sponsored the races / dogs on the night ?
I have just unearthed the programme from the evening and will post up details race by race as the thread unfolds........................
One of my "lucky" nights at the dogs as you may get to find out !

Comments

• Options
    1st Race 385 Metres Flat - The Crusty's Catering Company Stakes

Trap 1 Varra Storm sponsored by Gwen King
    Trap 2 Dromina Duke sponsored by Bryan King
    Trap 3 Apple of My Eye sponsored by David King
    Trap 4 Son of Honkey sponsored by Sue King
    Trap 5 Oakster Jet sponsored by John King
    Trap 6 Sherborne sponsored by Tracey King
  • Options
    Was that the one at Catford? If so was a cracking night.

Missed the first race - still in the pub - and we got there just in time for the second. Mate of mine from work (O's fan) who had come along runs straight up to the tote and just in time puts on a tricast bet (using the same numbers his old fella used for every race back at their local track - Walthamstow) which promptly came in and left him something like £130 better off from a £1 stake.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Was that the one at Catford? If so was a cracking night.

It was indeed, all the players enjoyed their evening in the little hospitality bar beneath the main stand, great night out with the fans just two days before the main event !
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]we got there just in time for the second. Mate of mine from work (O's fan) who had come along runs straight up to the tote and just in time puts on a tricast bet (using the same numbers his old fella used for every race back at their local track - Walthamstow) which promptly came in and left him something like £130 better off from a £1 stake.

Well here's a reminder............................

2nd Race 555 Metres Flat - The Mercury Sport Stakes

Trap 1 Kildare Swift sponsored by Martin Roberts
    Trap 2 Wynsum Lady sponsored by Lee Jordan
    Trap 3 Bogmount Sail sponsored by BJV Appleby
    Trap 4 Silca sponsored by Terry Nunn
    Trap 5 Gentstown Commet sponsored by Mark Cook
    Trap 6 Coolbeg Hostess sponsored by Jill Cole
  • Options
    Blimey, Catford Stadium. It's all now gone to the dogs. Just like New Cross and Charlton dogtracks.

Crying shame.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    By way of introduction, in hindsight, I should have opened with the following............................

On behalf of Charlton Athletic Supporter's Club, I should like to welcome you all to tonight's meeting at Catford.
    We extend a particularly warm greeting to the players and officials of Charlton Athletic FC and the many other businesses and individuals who have supported tonight's event by sponsoring the races and runners.
    Their contributions already means that we are likely to be able to hand over close to £2,000 to Jason Morgan, Charlton's newly-appointed community officer.
    We hope that this is the begining of a long and productive relationship between CASC and the club's football in the community scheme, which aims to promote the game locally.
    I should also like to thank Catford general manager Michael Raper and his staff for their support and co-operation in what is our first venture into the world of greyhound racing.
    As usual, sports editor Peter Cordwell and the Mercury newspaper have given their enthusiastic backing to the venue.
    I trust that everybody will enjoy the evening, which should prove the perfect start to the celebrations for Charlton's historic return to The Valley on Saturday.

Rick Everitt (Secretary, CASC)

Raffle Prizes
    1. Portable colour TV
    2. Two Tickets to the back to the Valley dinner at The Forte Crest Hotel, Bloomsbury on Monday, December 14th (worh £80)
    3. Football signed by the Charlton FC players.
    4. Bottle of Champagne
    5. Choice of Whiskey, Brandy, liqueur chocolates, Charlton video
  • Options
    All that remains of Catford dogs is the entrance gate.

There's some pictures of derelict dog tracks here.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    3rd Race 555 Metres Flat - The Jill Humphreys Stakes

Trap 1 Killouragh Ray sponsored by Lynne Hayward
    Trap 2 Scaflec sponsored by Peter Durham
    Trap 3 Willowfield Slip sponsored by Anthony O'Hanlon
    Trap 4 Nanos Boy sponsored by Mark Cook
    Trap 5 Dick Dan sponsored by Lee Mills
    Trap 6 Bawnard Pat sponsored by Lee Jordan
  • Options
    Great night, had a tiricast come up in one race, lovely.
  • Options
    yeah, great night. The Back to The Valley Dinner on the 14th December was a great night too. Lucky enough to have Colin Walsh on our table. Was pretty busy that night for some strange reason !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4th Race 385 Metres Hurdles - The Charlton Players Stakes

Trap 1 Rustic Dwarf sponsored by Mark Brice
    Trap 2 Road to Kerry sponsored by Gaynor Bradshaw
    Trap 3 Trevs Lee sponsored by Mark Lomas
    Trap 4 El Dino sponsored by Terry Wardale
    Trap 5 Charlton Gold sponsored by Paul Watts (this dog was actually owned by Mr R Alwen & partners)
    Trap 6 Wait and Return sponsored by Lyn Watts
  • Options
    My then girlfriend (now wife)an I spent most of the evening selling raffle tickets around all the bars. Never got a sniff of a win all night. (Dogs or raffle)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]My then girlfriend (now wife)an I spent most of the evening selling raffle tickets around all the bars. Never got a sniff of a win all night. (Dogs or raffle)

You may have sold me the ticket which picked up the back to the valley tickets !

5th Race 555 Metres Flat - The PEM Pack Limited Stakes

Trap 1 Alflo sponsored by R. Purdy
    Trap 2 Jacks Sweetheart sponsored by Vincent Brennan
    Trap 3 Helen Stephanie sponsored by Sue and Andy Cloe
    Trap 4 Machoism sponsored by Dennis Fox
    Trap 5 Quality System sponsored by Clive Sohn
    Trap 6 Mountleader Alda sponsored by Tim Edwins

6th Race 555 Metres Flat - The Valley Return Stakes

Trap 1 Fidos Son sponsored by Greg Bone
    Trap 2 Coolnave Blackie sponsored by JF Claridge - Jolt
    Trap 3 Princess Action sponsored by RA Taylor - Ratty
    Trap 4 Duke Gallant sponsored by Mia Bone