Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parky quoted 1m for striker !!

Comments

• Can't think who else it would be.

That's ludicrous.
  • That means ths striker's club don't want to sell ...... unless they are offered silly money they can't refuse.
  • Incredible - who'd pay that kind of money for someone who's only done it in the lower leagues? Oh yeah - Pardew!
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Can't think who else it would be.

That's ludicrous.

Why is it? He's that divisions top player and his club don't want to sell him. Are they supposed to say you can have him for 300k?
    We paid more than that for McLeod who was then in league two.

Just makes you realise what a bargain Southampton got getting Lambert for 1m and Norwich getting Holt for 400k.
  • I meant it would be a ludicrous amount to pay, not for them to ask for.
  • Don't blame the clubs holding those players at all. We rightly held out for as much as possible with the likes of Bent & Parker so why shouldn't they? A really big sale could keep them afloat for ages or allow them to invest / rebuild, whilst if it all falls through, they get to keep their top goal-scorer.
  • we have apparently enquired about 30/40 strikers but we have only just got around to asking about Le Fondre. So we must have started with Torres after all.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]we have apparently enquired about 30/40 strikers but we have only just got around to asking about Le Fondre. So we must have started with Torres after all.

I was thinking that. If Le Fondre was 30/40th on our list then god knows where we started. Maybe we've been trying to lure an unhappy Ibrahimovic away from Barca?
  • doesn't say when he enquired, could have been weeks ago.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]doesn't say when he enquired, could have been weeks ago.
    It said "last week".
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe Parky's been turned before, and last week came back with another attempt to sign the player?
  • Ridiculous money for a 4th division player but then so was bailey to boro no way near worth taht amount
  • Rotherham are just issuing a "Hands Off" notice to any club wanting to sign their best player.
    That's all.

But if a club has money to burn and wants to offer £1 million plus ..... well, they'll sit down and listen.
    And which club in either League One, Two or even some in the Championship wouldn't?
  • "Maybe we've been trying to lure an unhappy Ibrahimovic away from Barca?"

Think I'd prefer Lawrie Abrahamsovic up front!
  • edited August 2010
    Surprised no one has mentioned James Constable as the possible striker, only because like others I am surprised that if true Parky waited until last week to enquire about Le Fondre. I could be wrong but thought we were loosely linked with Constable (although maybe it was football rumours rubbish).
  • Le Fondre... sign him up.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Surprised no one has mentioned James Constable as the possible striker, only because like others I am surprised that if true Parky waited until last week to enquire about Le Fondre. I could be wrong but thought we were loosely linked with Constable (although maybe it was football rumours rubbish).

yes but Oxford couldn't realistically demand 1m for Constable. Le Fondre is another matter though.
  • If you want to sell for £500K then you pitch in at £1M, common sense really unless of course you desparately need to sell then you might pitch lower or give the player away like with have done in the past with a number of our players.
  • A lot of these crazy valuations will come right down once we close in on deadline day, my feeling is that we will probably get a deal done for Benson or Varney on deadline day at far less than we are being asked for at the moment.

The Benson deal is very much in our favor, if he is forced to stay at D&R then he is going to be one pissed-off player for the rest of the season - and will never forgive them for blocking his move to a much, much bigger club.

This is exactly the same reason that Wet Spam will lose Spotty Parker and Roaster Cole on Deadline Day to Spurs and Liverpool respectively, the bigger, richer club always get their man eventually.
  • Do we come under the "rich" catagory then? :-)