Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What chance we got for the future ?

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Spot the Charlton shirt.....

Comments

• Options
    Nice to see Jonjo back in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Is that you in the yellow Chelsea top smudge?
  • Options
    Its like Bluewater on a Saturday afternoon when 'supporters' are at football and 'fans' are at Bluewater.
    What is sad is that most of them will never have any idea what its like to support a real football club.
  • Options
    That kid at the back's got one on - looks a bit old for a summer school though - perhaps he got held back a couple of years.

Seriously though, it's always been the way hasn't it? Perhaps a couple of those kids will change allegiance because of that community scheme, or maybe they'll just look out for our results and start coming to Valley as adults when they realise paying £50 a pop at the Emirates ain't necessarily worth it.
  • Options
    That is Langley Park so Beckenham. Much more Spanner and Debt Dodger Territory than us but no Milwall or Palace shirt either so not just us we are losing out to the Sky four.

First time we've got the Community summer soccer schools that far into Bromley so may see more than one kid in an Addicks shirt over the year.
  • Options
    Wow. That's depressing.

Looks like there's one lad who might possibly be wearing a Charlton shirt (a blue Charlton shirt, next to the lad wearing a black and white Nike top).

Can't believe there are so many Chelsea fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Wow. That's depressing.

Looks like there's one lad who might possibly be wearing a Charlton shirt (a blue Charlton shirt, next to the lad wearing a black and white Nike top).

Can't believe there are so many Chelsea fans.

My whole family is Charlton. We have no option about it. Yet my nephew who happens to be ginger, is allowed to support Chelsea because he gets bullied at school even more
    when people think he's a Charlton fan.

My parents weren't so kind to me so why should he get special treatment. :-)
  • Options
    Quite right too Swisdom, we dont want any gingers at the Valley, especially taking penalties!!
  • Options
    When I was 9 or 10 I was a Liverpool 'fan'. It was only when I went to my first Charlton game that I got converted.

Also there weren't many Charlton fans in my class at school (in Sidcup) so maybe things haven't changed much.
  • Options
    same here Lawrie , think i was about 8 or 9 , Dads fault ! then again me great grandad player for the 'Woolwich Arsenal' around 1901 , so I had no choice really ! lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I blame my older brothers who in turn blame our uncle.
  • Options
    I used to go on these courses down in Sevenoaks when I was a youngster, a very, very long time ago. Sure they used to hand out tickets at the end of the course. I was born and bred Charlton but there were plenty of Liverpool/Arsenal/Man Utd "fans" there who'd never been to live football before and who reappeared at the next lot of courses wearing a Charlton shirt. Kids are easily influenced at that age - a decent day out and a trip in the Club Shop before going home is all it takes more often than not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]That is Langley Park so Beckenham. Much more Spanner and Debt Dodger Territory than us but no Milwall or Palace shirt either so not just us we are losing out to the Sky four.

First time we've got the Community summer soccer schools that far into Bromley so may see more than one kid in an Addicks shirt over the year.
    There's a yellow Palace shirt in front of that bald guy! The second guy to his left could be wearing a Charlton training shirt.
  • Options
    So there is FOD.

Good news spin on this is that Bromley was always allocated to Palace for Community work.

Bromley Council have been begging us to move in for ages and now we can. it raises our profile and annoys the Debt Dodgers so long may it continue.
  • Options
    I'm in West Norwood/Dulwich and have an 8 year old. It should be prime Palarse territory but all the kids support Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal (except my son)
  • Options
    I do think it's worse nowadays - kids HAVE to support one of the big four. (Or even two of them in some cases - had a visiting six year old who spent his holiday money on a full Man U kit plus a Chelsea shirt...)

Depressing.
  • Options
    I have a 9 year old and he was always Charlton until about a month ago and now suddenly to my annoyance he likes Arsenal like all his mates and I live in Bromley ..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Heston[/cite]I have a 9 year old and he was always Charlton until about a month ago and now suddenly to my annoyance he likes Arsenal like all his mates and I live in Bromley ..

Shame you can't give kids a smack anymore ............
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Heston[/cite]I have a 9 year old and he was always Charlton until about a month ago and now suddenly to my annoyance he likes Arsenal like all his mates and I live in Bromley ..

Shame you can't give kids a smack anymore ............

My mate's 9 year old now supports Spurs having had a season ticket at Charlton for 4 years. No loyality there!
  • Options
    My youngest regularly attends the Charlton football fun weeks at Wildernesse and there is usually a very healthy smattering of kids in Charlton tops amongst the usual Chelsea/Arse and Manure....but Ive also noticed more and more kids turning up in Spanners kits of late....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has much changed over the years?

Going back to primary school, 1988-1995, Eltham, I was the only Millwall in my year, no Charlton at all. In the whole school a handful of each.

By far the most popular teams were United, Spurs, Liverpool & Arsenal.

Nothing has really changed has it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]My youngest regularly attends the Charlton football fun weeks at Wildernesse and there is usually a very healthy smattering of kids in Charlton tops amongst the usual Chelsea/Arse and Manure....but Ive also noticed more and more kids turning up in Spanners kits of late....

I blame underage pregnancy
  • Options
    One opportunity with the empty seats is to get more school kids or boy football clubs going like we used to do. If only a few get the bug it will still be worthwhile and they may buy a programme or something from the club shop as a momento.
  • Options
    sorry girl football clubs too -not sexist me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]One opportunity with the empty seats is to get more school kids or boy football clubs going like we used to do. If only a few get the bug it will still be worthwhile and they may buy a programme or something from the club shop as a momento.

The Club are doing that every home game and has been for years.

Free or cheap tickets go to different schools in Greenwich, Bexley and Bromley on a rotation basis, kids on the course get tickets and so do junior football teams.

If you know of a team that wants some contact Wendy Perfect.
  • Options
    School for me at Elsa Road Welling in the early 70's was the odd Hammer, 1 Palace fan (boy did he get some stick) and the rest were made up of Charlton and Millwall....to the point where we regularly had mock rucks in the playground
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Has much changed over the years?

Going back to primary school, 1988-1995, Feltham, I was the only Millwall in my year, no Charlton at all. In the whole school a handful of each.

By far the most popular teams were United, Spurs, Liverpool & Arsenal.

Nothing has really changed has it?

; )
  • Options
    Gawd, I have to go a long way back! I have to admit that when I was in the early years at secondary school, I was a Chelsea fan. The bloke I sat next to was Leeds, 99% of the class was Man U - some things never change. A couple of those guys are STILL Man U.

My choice of Chelsea was based on family connections though - my Mum was Chelsea, my Dad was West Ham.

Both my boys "had" to support a premiership team at school (aparently) and that was Liverpool... both are now Chalrton (Mrs Lout and I wore them down) and the younger one has had a season ticket for the last few years.
  • Options
    Just goes to show that history comes full circle ...... and are back to Gunners, Chelsea, and Man Utd shirts........

As I have posted on here before, when I was at Sherrington school in the lateish 50s with people like Dave Rudd I do believe I was the only one that wore a Charlton shirt at sport when we played in Charlton park on the frozen pitches...... and ten years later on the estates at Charlton there was only a handful of Charlton supporters, I even remember kids outside the gates with Arsenal shirts!.... cheeky gits!....... In many ways it sort of spurred me on..... My brother was\ is a gooner himself!.........

TV, media, Premiership or die, I have no idea, but there was a brief time when in the second stint in the prem when you did see kids wearing them on the courses...To me it was very simple you supported your local team, I lived in Charlton so simples.... It was not the shirt, or a player, or because they were glory boys!, we had our time, we will have it again, the question is when?
  • Options
    My sister is having a party for her 18th, was looking through some old family photos last week for this event and came across pics of me in Spurs pyjamas and a Man Utd shirt before I came to my senses and started supporting Charlton. I was under the age of 8 in both picture and sure the PJs were bought for me, rather than my own choice.