Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky Sports News, new layout.

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Not impressed with this, text is very small on the right hand side and underneath, if you're in a pub it'll be impossible to read what's on screen on less it's a massive screen, similar if you have a SD tv at home, got a Standard Definition TV in the kitchen and can't see any of the right hand side, it's as bad as when they put the scoreline on the bottom right side 3 seasons back

Comments

• That's the point siblers - sky have withdrawn SSN from freeview and changed the layout to optimise it in HD - it's all a ploy to drive up HD subscriptions and earn Murdoch a few more ££££s
  • I'm going to miss Jeff so....
  • Can someone please explain HD to me? I understand why you might want to watch drama and sports in higher quality, but why would you care what how good the definition on a news channel is?

I won't really miss it
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Can someone please explain HD to me? I understand why you might want to watch drama and sports in higher quality, but why would you care what how good the definition on a news channel is?

I won't really miss it
    I bet you've still got a black and white TV! Why would you want colour?

I can't believe the amount of hype gone in to this channel, although I hope Film Four release a HD channel soon.
  • I would if I could. Lived happily for four of the last five years without a TV. :-)

Colour TV is different, because I'm young enough to come around after it came in, and when it was the norm rather than a special thing everyone has to rush to the shops to buy. If I was around during the changeover, I think I would've stayed with the black and white until colour tvs were a normal price. I don't doubt that in the future sometime I will buy a HD ready TV, I just can't see the rush now. Then again, I suppose it's good there's people who will buy these things as soon as they come out, as that helps bring down the price for scabby gits like me.

Film Four HD, I can understand why you'd want that, no problem.
  • Looks too 'Americanised'
  • I'm all for HD if they wanna do shows of Georgie Thompson and Hayley Mcqueen but for the most part it's pointless, Sky HD is crazy expensive though, paying subscription per channel is too much.
  • Whoever came up with the new format needs shooting, text is so much smaller & tougher to read, there was nothing wrong with how it was before, own goal from SKY which is unusual for them.
  • I have it on HD and must say that I think it looks great on my TV. I can see why it would not work on standard deff so I agree with the ploy.

HD is only £10 a month....just nip a few pints on the head and its paid for.
  • Well I think £10 a month is still a rip-off. However, what I did was switch my phone and broadband to Sky at the same time as getting HD. I'm actually around £3 a month better off than I was before, so the HD has cost me nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Film Four does have an HD channel, and its top quality. It's exclusive to Virgin Media though at the moment I think.
  • i have standard def and it looks fine, maybe you oldies need to get your specs checked :)
  • The new format is ok on the big tv in the living room but on the small tv in the bedroom it's ridiculous. At first i thought the tv settings were out because half of the page was off the screen but no that's how it is.
  • If you're watching on a 4 x 3 screen then you will lose anything on either side, ie the graphics on the right and most of the presenter on the left.
    To get round this change the settings on your sky box to 'letter box' and then you'll see the whole thing. This is the only Sky channel to be only 16 x 9, all the others frame 4 x 3 safe.
  • Love it! Sky news girls in HD is brilliant.

For people saying whats the point..They are doing a lot more features now, it's not like we just look at them in the studio.
  • edited August 2010
    I wonder if the beeb should grasp the opportunity here and put out a free to air sports news channel?
  • Thats exactly what the BBC should do, obviously on a much smaller budget yet better than nothing.
  • No chance of the BBC doing that because it'd be seen as competition to what's already out there. But it's a shame Setanta Sports News isn't there anymore to pick up the slack.

Feel a bit sorry for the journos on SSN - the number of people who'll see their work has been halved now.
  • If ESPN seriously want to get into showing the Premier League SSN going only to Sky customers leaves a huge gap for them to fill.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]No chance of the BBC doing that because it'd be seen as competition to what's already out there.

But it isn't out there any more, unless you pay. Also, the BBC have a general news channel and that has direct competition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice one Raddickle, changed it there and now I can see the whole picture.
  • Looks absolutely shocking on my pikey xbox360 sky.

Loads of text missing on either side and I can't see an option to change the screen size, grrrrrr :(
  • Just switched on SSN for the first time since new format came in - It is awful. If this continues I will consider cancelling my Sky Sports Subscription
  • I've just phoned Sky and they have been having lots of complaints about the new format. They told me that it should be fixed in the next 24/48 hours.
  • I don't see anything wrong with it :S.

Watched it on a small and big TV, but i can understand why you older lot would complain.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]No chance of the BBC doing that because it'd be seen as competition to what's already out there.

But it isn't out there any more, unless you pay. Also, the BBC have a general news channel and that has direct competition.

You couldn't get away with passing off sports news as a public service, though - unlike providing "proper" news - and just because a channel is a pay-TV channel doesn't mean it ceases to exist; it's more likely Murdoch and co will howl to protect their beloved subscriptions from any potential competitor.

They might do more with that red button Score thing with Garth Crooks, mind...

(I can't believe someone would consider cancelling their Sky Sports subscription just because its rolling news channel has had a redesign. Funding the overpaid primadonnas of the Premier League, yes; slightly smaller scrolling text, NO!)