Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oldham - Post match views

JTJT
edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Couldn't make it today so be interested to hear how we played.

Sounds as though we were on the backfoot quite a lot of the game.

Comments

• Options
    Still in 3rd,below 2nd place Oldham. Carlisle go top with 4-1 win over MK Dons
  • Options
    We wernt at the races poor but not awful post more when home
  • Options
    Peed off after taking the lead but could be a whole heap worse, early days yet.
  • Options
    Clear sign that our squad isnt up to it....

Loses the main part of our defensive spine(semedo and Dailly) shows we dont have proper back up....

its Half two NLA so im off to bed...
  • Options
    Oldham looked happy with a point. Their spoiling tactics were infuriating.

Not sure why we backed off after taking the lead.

Frustrating game
  • Options
    worse referee i have ever seen- support was unusually quiet to begin with but got louder in the half- ref was a disgrace- charlton missed dailly and semedo
  • Options
    it was ridiculous, never have i hated a team as much as the oldham lot. They were niggly, overly rough, time-wasting, hateful, evil, rage-inducing northerners. Our link up play was excellent, martin wagstaff and reid are a real handful and interchange positions with ease. Abbott just needs to score one and he'll go on and score 15-20 this season. However i have a problem with the backline, jackson doherty llera francis. They're not quick enough. Francis was really poor in my eyes, hoofed every ball, miss many headers and tackles, and got beaten for pace far too many times. If oldham finish in the top 2, i will give up watching football and move to ballet instead. I truly think we will be playoffs at least, we have the footballers and the passion to do it. One last note, the cock that hammered the ball at our bench deserves to be banned for a couple of months, and sodomised with a corner flag
  • Options
    We're really not very different from last year. Struggling to create clear cut chances and not pushing on from a leading position. We desperately need a quick striker as that is not Martin's position. Defenders will have it easy all season if it's just Abbot up there himself.

Racon is rubbish without Semedo, Reid is ineffective from 75 minutes onwards. We need these extra players soon.

The squad can scrape a playoff place but I really think we have a chance of autos if we get another couple of bodies in.
  • Options
    Saw in the corner of my eye someone on Charlton Life on their phone. West Upper sitting with his two boys.

Tough game and we could do with those 2 signings Parky wants. A winger and a second striker to throw on might have changed it around.

Pleased Parky went for it by putting Martin in CM and kept the wingers and Abbott on.

Francis gave the ball away far too much. I'm sure he can do better than that though. He'll have to to keep his place.

Oldham knew Reid was a big threat and tried to crowd him out and fouled him when needed.
  • Options
    Not great today but no need to panic. My concern was the strength of the bench. Possibly the weakest I have ever known for Charlton. Still need to be convinced by Francis but Here`s my personal scapegoat. Racon. Most talented player in the squad .....my arse. Disappears without trace and hardly a flash of anything worthwhile. Huge disapointment imho. If we could get any fee for him I would gnaw their hand off for it. Onwards and upwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shows the lack of depth, as there is nothing to use off the bench, need a couple more, but still unbeaten, and the ref was abject
  • Options
    Racon is an on and off player last week no one would argue he was immense
  • Options
    From my seat in the west stand Francis played well and got better as the game went on. His passing is better than I expected.

Doherty looks like his legs have gone. Struggled to kick the ball but OK with his head. Jackson does not look fit but his goal line clearance saved the game. Llera always looks like he'll give away a goal.

Racon was poor. Abbot didn't do much and the rest were pretty anonymous.

Was worried by the Ref as he warmed up before the game. He was going through the motions without looking fit. He then proved to be unfit to referee a game. Total lack of control.

Mambo looks a real find.
  • Options
    So waggy was anonymous LOL
  • Options
    Like JT, couldn't get to the match today. Oldham had double the amount of shots today.

It sounded like a 442 / would 451 been a better tactic to protect Llera, it sounded like our front 3 are a handful though, but why so few shots ?

Be interested to hear the views ?
  • Options
    One shot in the second half tells the story really, we deperately need a proven striker. Aug 31st is just around the corner.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]So waggy was anonymous LOL
    Yep he was.
  • Options
    Good point considering Oldham hit the post twice.

Didn't create enough chances in the second half, didn't think having all 10 back in the box for Oldham corners while they were down to 10 men was sensible. other than that don't think it was a disaterous performance. We will probably play better this season and lose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vff[/cite]Like JT, couldn't get to the match today. Oldham had double the amount of shots today.

It sounded like a 442 / would 451 been a better tactic to protect Llera, it sounded like our front 3 are a handful though, but why so few shots ?

Be interested to hear the views ?
    It was more like 4411. Martin is not a natural striker, he plays in a withdrawn role, not on the shoulder of the defenders. This is why we failed to get behind their defence at all. Abbot is ok with his back to goal but there is always another CB around to clear up a mess because they are not concerning themselves with that fabled nippy striker.

Thought Llera played ok to be honest as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: COOPS[/cite]One shot in the second half tells the story really, we deperately need a proven striker. Aug 31st is just around the corner.
    Creating chances was the problem not finishing them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another poor ref, a draw was a fair result. Too many last ditch tackles. Both teams will finish mid-table.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: COOPS[/cite]One shot in the second half tells the story really, we deperately need a proven striker. Aug 31st is just around the corner.
    Creating chances was the problem not finishing them.
    This.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well I thought Oldham were a pretty tidy side in the first half and deserved to go in level. The second half never got going, ref was awfull.

An OK performance but nothing to knee-jerk or panic about.
  • Options
    It was stop/start all game, referee and oldhams tactics didn't help. The most exciting thing that got me out of my chair was the tosser who smacked the ball into the dugout, parky went bananas. They did a job on reid and martin 2nd half and we just didn't get going
  • Options
    Can't believe there was only 5 mins additional time - the knob ref held the game up for at least that long for the ball fiasco alone (just what was he waiting for?), let alone the substitutions and the sending of fracas.

Still, could still be playinmg now and probably wouldn't have scored again, the way things were going. One of them games.

However, didn't see too much wrong with the Reid "goal" - both players were leaning into each other.
  • Options
    We didn't lose is the main outcome from today. Semedo and Dailly back next week will steady the ship.
  • Options
    3 words.

Miguel Angel Llera.

For about 10 mins the defense played as a unit. Then Big Mig lost his man and the realisation sank in that the rest of the defense were going to have to cover for him.

When Llera plays it throws the balance of the team soo much it doesnt give the rest of the defence a chance.

He doesnt make a challenge! How can you ave a center back who WILL NOT challenge on the ground! Im sure any forward who played against him last season were relishing the chance of running at him. Oh, thats exactly what they did.

Then, as the last man. Twice the certain goal was only saved by good play or poor shots (not by migs skill).

Im sure he's a nice bloke but he is either out of his depth or too good to be able to adapt to this level. We would be better with a youngster on instead because he is rubbish.

Am i th only one who thinks this?

Ref was rubbish.

The oldham player who pumped the ball into the bench is gonna get a decent ban.

Reid was a real threat. Personally I thought Racon was pretty good and linked up well with reid and martin.

Oldahm really were quality wind up merchants. My head was almost popping off with rage. Apologies to anyone in the upper west for my language.

The score was fair, but we should have scored more (as should of oldham).

semedo and dailey were well missed, its early days but i reckon these 2 sending offs could cost us dear at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Reid pushed him off it the whistle was blown before he finished it off

thought Francis was very poor his postioning and his distribution was rubbish, he was singled out in the 2nd half and virtually every long ball was aimed at him, not fit enough maybe def looks out of salts though and i wouldnt start him in the next game

we missed daily we missed semedo big time

i dont think that we have a plan b due to depth of squad and we need one

oldham impressed me pushed us hard played some nice football cant believe some of the comments on here anbout them i wish we played like them today because we would have won

why did abbot try to sq it to martin from 7 or 8yds he should have looked to finish (that worries me) strikers need to look for goals not asists they imo

we were ok in spells but very poor in others

subs i dont think the wrong one was made just a strange tactic considering we didnt change how we played..

very funny when their fella booted the ball at the dug out

very harsh sending off imo

said i would take the draw after 10 mins of the 2nd half

spent most of match on here so that summs up how good it was

NOT
  • Options
    Yes a very fussy ref, from the respot at the start of the second half, you new he wanted to be 'involved' . The stoppage for 2 water breaks which it appeared to be , was ridiculous. Every time in the second half that Abbott got in the box or near it the Oldham players held his shirt, shoved and pushed him!.I know it is easy to blame the ref, but he was a tosser!. Thought we did well to keep our cool!and keep 11 players on the pitch.

Fair play to Parky he brought Sodje on, and tried to go for it, but Oldham by then seemed to want to settle for the point.

Martin had a couple of chances, which he was partly unlucky with and a little slow to react to!