Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mini Cabs

edited August 2010 in Not Sports Related
On Wednesday nite me and my mate went round Rochester for a few drinks and then a curry afterwards. My last train home to Abbey Wood was at 22.30 which i had to get because i had work the next day. So we're in the curry house and without realising i had missed my last train home. So i had to get a mini cab as i had to get up for work at 6am. So my mate calls for a cab. 2 mins later a cab pulls outside the curry house. The guy says it will be 75 quid to Thamesmead!!!!! I thought that can't be right so i said that it should only be about 30 or 40 quid and then he says yeah but its 11.30. I can't believe on a Wedsnesday nite they would still charge that amount of money. I can sort of understand on a fri or sat nite when they have to take home the drunks but it was wednesday and there was hardly anyone out. We was the only people in the curry house. I was totally sober! Last year i got an early morning cab (4am) to Gatwick and it only cost me 45 quid. Ive just looked on aa.com and its 23 miles from Rochester to Thamesmead and 43 miles from Thamesmead to Gatwick. Have i been knocked?

Comments

• Options
    Hope it was a good ruby.
  • Options
    You probably have been knocked but not a lot you can do as he told you fare before you left and you accepted. Live and learn I guess.
  • Options
    One of those cabs run by tfl wanted to charge me £10 to go from Orpington Station to Crittals Corner and another £30 to go a mile up the road
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]One of those cabs run by tfl wanted to charge me £10 to go from Orpington Station to Crittals Corner and another £30 to go a mile up the road
    TfL don't run the cabs - they just "approve" them. So if you get bum raped they've got a better chance of finding the miscreant...
  • Options
    Its called the economics of supply and demand.He valued your demands and you accepted his supply of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]One of those cabs run by tfl wanted to charge me £10 to go from Orpington Station to Crittals Corner and another £30 to go a mile up the road
    TfL don't run the cabs - they just "approve" them. So if you get bum raped they've got a better chance of finding the miscreant...

Well obvs this one wanted to be Richard Branson and saw it as a get rich quick scheme. Instead of using the cab and walking home 2 miles to New Eltham, I decided to get the night bus and go on a 5 hour journey via Trafalgaq Sq at 4:30am, to finally get home at 7:30am, only would of taken me 2 hours to walk
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    just one of those things.

Late night cabs are more expensive.
  • Options
    If you're taking a cab on a journey that you don't normally make, ask the person in the cab office how much the fare should be first, that way the driver can't argue when you get there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]

Well obvs this one wanted to be Richard Branson and saw it as a get rich quick scheme. Instead of using the cab and walking home 2 miles to New Eltham, I decided to get the night bus and go on a 5 hour journey via Trafalgaq Sq at 4:30am, to finally get home at 7:30am, only would of taken me 2 hours to walk

Why did it takes 5 hours? And surely you didnt have to go all the way to Trafalgar Square, you must be able to change at Lewisham or something to get from Orpington to New Eltham?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]just one of those things.

Late night cabs are more expensive.

The price shouldn't change according to the time. They have a milage rate and it should stay the same whatever the time. I done cabbing for 4 years and never charged more because it was late. I would phone up the office and ask for the owner. Say you think the bloke made a mistake and if he's decent enough he will sort it for you. No harm in trying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabs 'taxis' up here (Solihull) are all run by indians who hardly know a word of english on top of that they ask YOU the directions of where to go which makes me think they share cabs and id's. On top of that they charge a fortune, its about 5 miles to the airport and they charge 15 quid ! rip off !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]If you're taking a cab on a journey that you don't normally make, ask the person in the cab office how much the fare should be first, that way the driver can't argue when you get there.

Not true these days. Son left house keys at our house, we'd had a few drinks, so had to get a cab to deliver the keys. Accepted £60. He arrived at son's place and refused to hand over the keys unless he handed over an extra £40. Short and curlies job. It's illegal and was duly reported to Trading Standards. Not much use though, they either do nothing or accept a 'Sorry, it won't happen again' explanation. The drivers are self employed and basically seem to be allowed to do what they like.
  • Options
    I would have said no thanks mate an called another one an got it priced properly. They dont change prices according to the hour.
  • Options
    no racist assumptions from you then Andy : - (
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]

Why did it takes 5 hours? And surely you didnt have to go all the way to Trafalgar Square, you must be able to change at Lewisham or something to get from Orpington to New Eltham?!

I didnt fancy being stabbed in Lewisham
  • Options

Just chuck a bottle at them .....You'll be fine
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You are such a pratt, you know that right
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]cabs 'taxis' up here (Solihull) are all run by indians who hardly know a word of english on top of that they ask YOU the directions of where to go which makes me think they share cabs and id's. On top of that they charge a fortune, its about 5 miles to the airport and they charge 15 quid ! rip off !
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]no racist assumptions from you then Andy : - (

I can't see it's racist to say Indians hardly know a word of English & they ask you the directions.

When I'm abroad a lot of foreigners can't speak English, that's a fact, not a matter of racism :-(
  • Options

Nathan if you got on the bus at 4:30 and it took 5 hours, how did you manage to get home at 7:30? Do you live in a different time zone?
  • Options
    Lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Time zone? I think the kid spends most of his time in his own little world!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

Nathan if you got on the bus at 4:30 and it took 5 hours, how did you manage to get home at 7:30? Do you live in a different time zone?

Surprised you need to ask Uncle ; )
  • Options

Yeh good point, that would definitely have happened. Well worth adding 2hours onto your journey home in the middle of the night for peace of mind!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]cabs 'taxis' up here (Solihull) are all run by indians who hardly know a word of english on top of that they ask YOU the directions of where to go which makes me think they share cabs and id's. On top of that they charge a fortune, its about 5 miles to the airport and they charge 15 quid ! rip off !
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]no racist assumptions from you then Andy : - (

I can't see it's racist to say Indians hardly know a word of English & they ask you the directions.

When I'm abroad a lot of foreigners can't speak English, that's a fact, not a matter of racism :-(

"All" cab firms are run by "Indians". All of them? Andy has done a survey no doubt. And are they Indians or are they Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans or even British Asians. But it's OK to just lump them all together.

And none of them can speak more than a few words of English? Andy has spoken to all of them has he? Of course not but if one or two do then that applies to all of "Them".

And they switch IDs and Cars. His evidence of this is what? Oh, yeah they are all "Indian" and they ask directions so it must be true. What more proof for a slur could you need?
  • Options
    Indians? Sound more like cowboys to me....
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Indians? Sound more like cowboys to me....

Dont tar all cowboys with the same brush....I'm sure thats being a cowboyist ;-)
  • Options
    Exactly Uncle. I mean, how do we know they were cowboys?

Just because they are wearing a stetson, spurs and a camp looking waistcoat doesn't mean you can tar them all with the same brush - regardless of whether they are carrying a six shooter and answer to the name of "Hank" or "Buddy".
  • Options
    SE9SE9
    edited August 2010

I cant see how this is racist. I can not see anything that has been written which is abusive.
  • Options
    I've been living in Lewisham for 7 months now, getting stabbed each night can be quite annoying.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]

I cant see how this is racist. I can not see anything that has been written which is abusive.

Something doesn't have to be abusive for it to be racist. A sweeping generalisation based upon a racial profile can easily qualify as racism.