Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Basey training with The Gills

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Was at the Gills training ground this morning and Grant Basey was there with the squad. Does he have a future left in the game after the bad tackle against Bristol Rovers?

http://www.kentsportsnews.com/News-(1)/Football/News---Gillingham/August-2010/Gills-take-a-look-at-former-Addick.aspx

Comments

• Options
    He'll sign for someone eventually. Has been playing in friendlies with Aberdeen.
  • Options
    Aberdeen need to shift players out to free up money for Basey - so he's probably training with someone local to keep fit.
  • Options
    Oh dear

The absence of Jackman has forced Hessenthaler to take a look at the former Charlton left back, but he is expected to overlook the 21 year old from Bromley as he is "no better than what we already have."
  • Options
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/sport/2010/august/24/grant_basey.aspx
  • Options
    Real shame as I think he has plenty to offer at our level let alone League 2.

Maybe his wage demands were too much for Gills.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Oh dear

The absence of Jackman has forced Hessenthaler to take a look at the former Charlton left back, but he is expected to overlook the 21 year old from Bromley as he is "no better than what we already have."

and what the feck does Hessenthaler know about it ? As Swisdom says he is at least League 1 level, if not better, imo.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What is the position with an unattached player like Basey (or Fortune come to that)?

If they fail to find a club before 31 August are they effectively unemployed until the next window or what?

Anybody know?
  • Options
    No free agents can still sign for clubs outside the window.
  • Options
    Who would you have

Forts or Bassey

tough call for me but i will opt for Forts
  • Options
    If they are without a club they can sign for someone outside of the window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not actually that surprised they've said he's no better than what they have, as harsh as that might sound. Basey has done a decent job in whichever division he's played in but he's rarely had a really outstanding game.

I wonder if he's saying he is a left back or that's the position the clubs interested need? He might impress more as a CB or even a CM.

Has he made a mistake trying to stay here and not taking offers he apparently got early in the summer?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Who would you have

Forts or Bassey

Basey for me. Can cover LB, CH and LM.
  • Options
    experience wins it for me Large and he can score

and he sent palace down
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

Forts or Bassey

Basey for me. Can cover LB, CH and LM.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  • Options

Forts or Bassey

Can cover LB, CH and LM.

Believe that when i see it. IMO He'd be exposed at CH and at LM i cant see him getting over the halfway line. Average LB at best for me is Basey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

Forts or Bassey

Can cover LB, CH and LM.

Believe that when i see it. IMO He'd be exposed at CH and at LM i cant see him getting over the halfway line. Average LB at best for me is Basey.

goes with our average RB then.
  • Options
    Gills would have to pay us compensation
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_joe[/cite]Gills would have to pay us compensation

They wouldn't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]goes with our average RB then.
    Southend's player of the year last season, and a regular in their team the two seasons before that when they made the play-offs one season and weren't far off in the other.
  • Options
    Perhaps the £700 a week he was supposed to have been offered here is not looking so bad after all!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Out of his recordable 15 games last season, Basey never once registered a top 3 ranking.

Him and McLeod (3apps) were the only non-loan players not to do so.
  • Options

Forts or Bassey

Can cover LB, CH and LM.

lol...come on large, your better than that!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Not actually that surprised they've said he's no better than what they have, as harsh as that might sound. Basey has done a decent job in whichever division he's played in but he's rarely had a really outstanding game.
    Spot on
  • Options

Forts or Bassey

Can cover LB, CH and LM.

2 games played & you are saying that? Talk about an average fan!
  • Options
    To be fair to large he is never going to see good in francis because he is RIGHTLY pissed that he has been picked over Solly

This is what i meant by unfair pressure on Francis and Solly by Parkie and it was avoidable

last words of criticism of Jack Branning that i will make for a while ;-P
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]

Forts or Bassey

Can cover LB, CH and LM.

2 games played & you are saying that? Talk about an average fan!

meaning ??
  • Options
    Dont bloody argue over Francis

Large is a real Charlton fan loyal as hell goes more games than most and is entilted to his opinion on Parky and the situation

he gets slated enough for stoopid comments but he shouldnt get called out every time he says something that people dont agree with but are valid

FFS there is a real push for no criticism being allowed to be said on here and it aint coming from the admin team so if it is acceptable with in the realms of the rules surrounding this site then

people have to just accept it

in this point i make him 100% right in others i dont but i dont ever doubt his Proper Charlton status
  • Options
    It can be argued Parky had good reasons to do that though.

First he has a better idea than we do about Solly's fitness.

Second thing Francis might have been there to give us another big defender to help defending set pieces and long balls.

He also has just signed a player to be his first choice and he obviously needs to get match fit. Dropping him because he wasn't great against Orient wouldn't have helped.

Now I agree Solly is clearly the player on form and fit, but Parky might or might not have other reasons than just wanting to play his signing. He rates Solly otherwise he wouldn't have kept him here.
  • Options
    I have issues with what parkies choices are and why he does it and i have the right to say that as do all those infavour of his decisions thats why i like coming on here but of recent there seems to be a lot more questioning of fans " Proper Charlton" status and a suggestion that they are being fickle or stoopid

the difference for me is

when at Football Large is proper Charlton he puts the miles in and he supports yet he gets hit for being an average fan on another thread another person was criticised and i was told i was a word we cant say, now my comments probally deserved that so i didnt give 2 hoots cos i posted pissed and it was overly heavy and i shouldnt have used the words i did

I appologised the next morning and moved on but there are many posts where i think the boy large shouldnt get the response he does

me and large very rarely had agreed on much but the one thing i hope we both knew was that home and away before the good times we were there

and even now in times of trouble we are still there

and give nothing but support when we are
  • Options
    I don't always agree with Large's football opinion - but one thing you must give him credit for .....he has a perfect managerial record at The Valley.

Now you can't argue with that!

;o)