Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bryan Hughes training with Brighton

34yrs old now.

Not the most popular here, but we were prem level at the time. Would he be a good League One signing do you reckon ?

Will have him and Kish there, can't see them getting Scotty Parker though !

Comments

• edited August 2010
    He would be a good signing for them, would not have objected to him signing for us but unless we sell someone, midfield is probably not the priority as not sure where he would fit in. Bryan Hughes did score the Chelsea pen winner, scored a valuable goal against Palace and gave a great moment when he scored the 90th min winner against Villa in our relegation year so he was not all bad.
  • Had no problem with him thought he was OK

and on a free as long as the wage was right i would have back
  • edited August 2010
    No problem with him like leftbehind said, did ok, but I don't see where he would fit in. Would do a similar job to Spring last season, though maybe slightly more of a goal threat.

It seems like Parky wants another striker and an out and out winger as an alternative to Wagstaff and Reid. Especially with Smart not impressing. Doubt there's room for another CM or CB (Fortune). Unless Fry ends his loan or Semedo or Racon are sold.
  • I loved Super Bryan...

He had fire, spirit, tenacity, guts, bottle, attitude, vigour, vim, spunk (Aussie type)...

Pity he couldn't play football, he'd have had it all....
  • A yes from me.
  • Good footballer but not the type for this league.

As an example, he wouldve been the first to melt at Millwall last year.

No from the Falconwood jury.
  • Neat and tidy player with a good 1st touch, and scored goals from midfield. He won't dominate matches - but he's as good as the team around him. Takes a very decent penalty too.

Anyone remember his 'cool as a cucumber' penalty to win our League Cup tie at Stamford Bridge?
    Even if Mourinho couldn't find the grace to accept that Charlton were the first team to defeat Chelsea at home during his time there.

Maybe in the Prem he was always going to look more like a useful squad player, than really establish himself as a cornerstone of the team.

But as a key member of the Birmingham side for a number of years in the Championship, that eventually won promotion to the Prem under Steve Bruce, he was very highly rated.

IMO even at 34, good player for this level.
    If he signs for Brighton, he won't let them down.
  • Disco boots.....no thanks.
  • Super Bryan! Was secretly hoping we might sign him again. But a little old now will still do a job at this level good signing for Brighton.
  • He is too similar to Matt Spring, neat and tidy, scores the occasional goal but doesnt get into the game enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good at contributing to the dispatch of lower league teams when with us so good at the level.

I would welcome him back if there was a gap but cannot really see where he would fit in at present. Wages may also be prohibitive.
  • Loved hughsey when he was here. I don't think people liked home cause he was a bit lightweight. Met him in ivory lounge up bexleyheath and was going over the goal he scored against villa in the last minute. Top bloke
  • He was the Matt Spring of the Premiership. I think he was bought as a squad player but ended up playing too many games. Should be more than capable at this level.
  • What's all this comparison with Matt Spring?

Sure both neat and tidy players with a good 1st touch and neat passing range.
    Many players have that.

Hughes played a different game, in different areas of the pitch, and much more athletic and attacking - compared to Spring.
    IMO Spring played a more similar role to Matt Holland, tying the team together, providing a platform for other players to play.

And Hughes doesn't have a gigantic hooter compared with Springy.
    See? No comparison!
  • Always had the impression that in Bryan Hughes head he was Steven Gerrard. The comparison with Spring is spot on.
  • Didn't the Opta stats have him covering 12km in a live game once ?

That is an impressive work rate for a box-to-box player.

He came on a free, never tried to be a bighead, got on with his job - another decent Curbs signing.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Had no problem with him thought he was OK

and on a free as long as the wage was right i would have back[/quote]

Totally agree...when he was with us in The Prem, he was a squad player that did ok....I wasn't one of the fans constantly moaning about him.

At this level he should be an excellent player....maybe replace Baily's goals from midfield???
  • Must say i really liked him. Admittingly he was no more than a squad player for us back then, but we're not a premiership club anymore. Always seemed a decent player who was happy to be part of the squad and never heard any rumbles of discontent, thinking he was too good to sit on the bench week after week. When he did play for us, although he may not have been the best player to grace the valley, he always seemed to put in a decent shift.

off subject slightly, I signed him for charlton on my FM game on a free transfer and he was fans player of the year in a team that stormed league 1. :-)
  • Good signing at this level....will do well if he stays fit
  • would he really be any worse than Racon ? No in my opinion. Would be a good signing at League 1 level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would score more goals than Racon, imho he is a lot more useful than Spring who despite not doing much wrong was hardly a roaring sucess.
  • edited August 2010
    We even had a "hughesy fanclub" at one point.
    Which i wanted to join.
  • Only turned up for FA Cup games, generally against lower division sides..