Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Great Escape is ON..........!

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
What a wonderful weekend!

None of the relegation pack won - except Charlton!

As it stands today, a win & perhaps a draw from safety.

See how quickly it can all change?
And the biggest change is inside our heads.

Now we can see that safety can be within our grasp.

C'MON YOU ADDICKS!

The Great Escape is ON........!!!

Comments

• Options
    Look at Blackburn and Middlesborough. OK they were always a few points above us, but just a little string of results and they're going for the top half of the table :o). Yes, the great escape IS on!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    We also have players coming back, read that pards is taking them to spain for 4 days,players possibly coming on loan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: alfie[/cite]Look at Blackburn and Middlesborough. OK they were always a few points above us, but just a little string of results and they're going for the top half of the table :o). Yes, the great escape IS on!

But, of course, a couple of back to back wins changes everything.

Middlesboro for example: 3 wins on the trot/9 quick points.
    From 20th/21 points to 10th/30 points in 3 matches.

It's that easy........
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Great that we are all feeling a bit more optimistic, and why not, but the pressure may be back on us, particularly if we don't get anything at Notlob. We've got Chelsea and United after that, and we are going to have to be going some to do either of those, whatever local problems they may have.
    We've taken 7 out of 15 with pards in charge, and that is a significant improvement on the month prior to his arrival, and the team have now won away at last.
    If we can give the sort of performance we gave yesterday, and if Benty is back to just give us a bit more firepower in front of goal, then we stand a chance of something up at the Reebok. That said, think M Bent has looked much more committed since the arrival of Pardew, and his celebration of Faye's goal yesterday as he came over to the fans showed that he is on board, IMO anyway. I think we also need to use his heading ability a bit more.
    I think if we can get something on the 30th, then we are in with a chance, bearing in mind that if we lose the two after that, and teams round us win, it will "look" bleak again.
    Also, a result, albeit a point up at Bolton, will continue to build the self belief, and we can just have a go at Chelsea and United and see anything we get out of it as a bonus.
    Another win following on from the win yesterday as AFKA has said elsewhere will make a big difference.
    At the very least, we are now really beginning to look like we are going to make a fight of it.
    COME ON U REDS
  • Options
    You are right 3 blokes. It is really unfortunate that our next 3 games are so tough. We could well have lost touch again by the time the West Ham game comes round. I guess we just have to ignore everybody else, concentrate on getting 38+ points and see where that leaves us at the end of the season. Personally, I still don't think that we are going to do it. But it is good, at last, to see a bit of fight from the players.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Everyone has been going on about how tough our next few matches are - and they are right, they're tough!

But curiosity overcame me, so I thought I'd check to see who our 'mates' in the 5-team relegation pack are playing. Guess what? Not much in the way of easy fixtures for them, either!

And when they play each other, they can't both win.

I've highlighted the 'relegation pack' teams:

Tuesday, 23 January 2007
    Watford v Blackburn, 19:45

Tuesday, 30 January 2007

Reading v Wigan, 20:00
    Sheff Utd v Fulham, 19:45
    West Ham v Liverpool, 19:45

Wednesday, 31 January 2007
    Bolton v Charlton, 20:00
    Man Utd v Watford, 20:00

Saturday, 03 February 2007
    Aston Villa v West Ham, 15:00
    Blackburn v Sheff Utd, 15:00
    Charlton v Chelsea, 15:00
    Watford v Bolton, 15:00
    Wigan v Portsmouth, 15:00

Saturday, 10 February 2007
    Man Utd v Charlton, 15:00
    Sheff Utd v Tottenham, 15:00
    West Ham v Watford, 15:00

Sunday, 11 February 2007
    Arsenal v Wigan, 16:00

Wednesday, 21 February 2007
    Watford v Wigan, 19:45

Just maybe, some of these other teams won't find it so easy, either. Anyway, what do you think?
  • Options
    That's a good analysis Oggy, and puts stuff into perspective.

It's still a tough set of games-Imho it's vital that we go to the Reebok and give it a real go. Back to back wins (and away ones at that) would really lift us.

Would love to see Watford beat one of wham or wigan as well
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, Stan.

While we are all worried that we won't pick up many points in the next few games,
    other teams quite possibly won't either!
  • Options
    It could go to the wire, i'm sure a break from fixtures and some hard work and belief after the win will bring some passion, let's hope so.
  • Options
    Thanks for those fixture details Oggy, not so easy for the others either eh :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you have to believe looking at those fixtures that by next wednesday night, with defeat for west ham against liverpool and wigan losing at reading we could be out of the relegation zone bar goal difference
  • Options
    Just gotta beat Bolton.

If we can do that then there is more than a chance that we could be out of relegation zone by the time our run of tough fixtures is over, which gives us a great chance.

Even a point probably leaves the situation in our own hands with home games against West Ham, Wigan and Sheff United to come.

At least the win at the weekend meant that it is unlikely that we will be completely off the pace by the West Ham game.
  • Options
    The West ham game.....what's that going to be like,weird to say the least.
  • Options
    Pards seems to have got the players fired up!

Matt Holland seems up for the fight.
    He's been saying:

"We will have a go. The season is now 14 cup ties and we have to win as many of them as we can. It's game on, we are going to dig in and give it our best shot and the lads are up for the fight."

This is what we need to hear, Matty!