Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

city airport

Using it for the first time today. Bit concerned about the lack of runway and all the water, plus canary wharf very close. so big question is there a pub in departures?

Comments

• Adam,
    Yes there is a bar, fear not as well as the usual shops.
  • So I can get a toblerone and some dodgy afterahave before aiming head first into canary wharf. Cheers Pete.
  • No worries mate, have a good time, and take off from there can be quite interesting, depends which way out they are going, if its towards the City, hold on tight!
  • Going Dublin for me nans funeral Pete. So won't be down on Sunday night for the show but will be next Sunday. Dave knows, if you are Pete from Sunday night then u know what I'm talking about if not sorry to confuse u mate
  • Sorry to hear about your Nan, yes its Pete from Sunday....that one! good meeting last night, lots talked about.....now some action!
  • Whisper whisper.... had to work late so I could get away early today. So couldn't make it.
  • No worries, was all good, will send you a whisper!
  • Good luck on coming back and landing if its windy, I have done that plenty of time and it tends to "focus the mind".....great view of the valley if you are on the correct side of the plane on take off.
    Lovely views of Belvedere if you land in a Westerly direction.
  • I work near the top of one of those Canary Wharf towers...took me ages to get used to planes heading stright for me when I first started!
  • Great airport. You can check in 15 mins before departure and it takes me only 30 mins door to door to get there. I wish Gatwick was like that!

Im flying from Birmingham International airport for the first time on Sunday. Is there any pubs or McDonalds there?
  • Sponsored links:

• When I used to live on the Royal Arsenal I flew into City Airport from Edinburgh. Left Edinburgh at 7.45 and was indoors by just after 9pm. Shame most flights are overpriced. Consequence of it being by and large used for business travel.
  • City airport is great. From clearing passport control to my house at Shooters Hill via DLR to Woolwich and lift from missus in 25 minutes.
  • Don't worry - flown to Dublin from there loads of times with a plane full of rugby fans.

Landing is very spectacular.

Bounced quite hard in a small Saab jet on one trip. Best airport in London from a passenger point of view.
  • Davy
    Really good Weatherspoons at Birmingham Airport - the Guvnor is a top bloke and the food is great
    All reasonably priced.
    Go upstairs.

City airport is the dogs nuts - its like small airports in other countries - well run efficient and friendly
  • Why would anyone take a tube of Toblerone to their Nan's funeral...?
  • Flew in and out of that airport many, many times - used to love it, always an interesting ride.
  • Best airport I've been to. 1 hour after landing, was sat at home with my feet up.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Why would anyone take a tube of Toblerone to their Nan's funeral...?
    WTF it's one of the most obvious duty free things!
  • It's getting more and more overcrowded though. And no lounge!
  • edited August 2010
    Its so efficent.
    6 minutes from Woolwich to LCY on the DLR.
    And if you've got a few grand spare you can fly to JFK now from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• The twats cancelled the Newcastle route a couple of years ago, one hour flight and twenty minutes on the train was perfect....
  • Great airport, but don't park car costs a fortune, complete ripoff
  • [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Great airport, but don't park car costs a fortune, complete ripoff

Came back from Ireland with the team in '98. Remember Curbs having to borrow money off Merv to get his car out.
  • You get a great view.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Great airport, but don't park car costs a fortune, complete ripoff
    If you take the lift down to ground level from the tube station, you're basically in residential streets and you can park there gratis. Not sure how long it will last since a lot of taxi drivers I've used have cottoned on...
  • I once had the most terrifying flight ever landing at City Airport. I was flying back from Amsterdam on one of VLM's turbo prop planes with a horrific side wind that shook the plane in every direction. I remember looking out the window and seeing the Woolwich Ferry and thinking that was going to be the last thing I ever saw, an absolutely dreadful flight though of course not typical.

That experience aside I've flown from City airport lots of times mostly to Hamburg when I lived there, and loved it. Now the DLR goes there it's so convenient. I would, despite my negative experience, recommend flying from there to anyone.
  • Flew from there just after the twin towers. They closed the airport for two days and we flew out the day it reopened. Bit scary because they went through the luggage with a fine tooth comb (took the wife's nail scissors!) and it took ages to get through to departure lounge. As soon as we got there (about 20ft from the plane) they announced a bomb scare and immediate evacuation. They emptied the terminal and took us all out to some warehouses beyond the car park and we had to wait for about an hour and a half whilst they searched the planes and terminal.

When we got back we were a bit nervy and when the plane took off it had to carry out what they called an "extreme" turn to avoid flying over Canary Wharf. This consisted of a sharp banking turn on full power as soon as we took off- it was the first time i have seen a jetliner go aerobatic!.

Apart from that loved it!