Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mild?

edited August 2010 in Not Sports Related
Can you still get a pint of mild in the pub these days? Only ask as I am reading an excellent cricket book called Slipless in Settle and as it is set oop north, people drink mild. not something I have seen over here in Canada - does it still exist/does anyone here drink it even?

Comments

• Options
    I had a couple of good pints of Harvey's Mild when I was last in the UK.
  • Options
    Yep you sure can. Making a bit of a comeback in some 'proper' pubs in Kent.

Sure Shepherd Neame do one, dont ask me what its called though.
  • Options
    Think this is the one;-

Britain's oldest brewer is reviving a delicious flavour of the past, bringing a quality mild back into pubs for a rare taste of gentler times.
    Abbey Mild, hand-crafted by Shepherd Neame's expert brewers, is a 3.4% abv traditional mild ale, packed full of delicious flavours.
    Its drinkability and lower bitterness are complemented with a refreshingly pleasant dry hop character.
    Brewer Stewart Main said: "A delightful blend of pale, aromatic, crystal and brown malts, topped off with generous quantities of the finest pinhead oats give Abbey Mild its special flavour - a real taste of yesteryear."
    Abbey Mild, hand-crafted in the microbrewery at Faversham's historic Court Street brewery, is now available on draught at selected Shepherd Neame pubs and freehouses for a limited period.
    Shepherd Neame's production and distribution director, Ian Dixon, said: "During the 19th century, breweries would make three or four mild ales at varying strengths but since the 1960s this easy-drinking style of beer has virtually disappeared, particularly in the South East. In creating Abbey Mild, our skilled brewers have revived a subtle and thirst-quenching style of beer that would have been familiar to our great-grandfathers."
  • Options
    Thats it SA, Abbey.

Lovely stuff!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like a nice pint of Mild, but I can't see it making a serious comeback. What really did for it was when the big brewers decided that Lager was the modern drink for the masses and so they put all their considerable resources into promoting it. Mild was classed as a downmarket "working class" beer. Also, there is an unfortunate perception amongst the general public that if a beer is dark it must be a) strong, b) a "mans drink" and c) likely to give you a hangover - none are these are correct.

The mass-produced, chemically enhanced "Lager" we have in the UK is a tasteless imitation of a particular style of continental beer (Pilsner), which is made cheaply and sold at a premium. You can see why it's popular with the brewers!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]The mass-produced, chemically enhanced "Lager" we have in the UK is a tasteless imitation........

Let me say that again .........."The mass-produced, chemically enhanced "Lager" we have in the UK is a tasteless imitation......."

;o)
  • Options
    what saga lout said.

Someone start a campaign for real ale.

Like a pint of mild but it is rare in SE other than in Harveys and now it seems Shep Neame pub.

Like a mild and bitter too
  • Options
    I remember drinking mild in a pub in Bromley about 25 years ago. I think I've recently seen it as a guest ale somewhere.

Lager is an alcopop.
  • Options
    Plenty here in the Midlands. Banks, Theakstons and Tim Taylor Milds fairly widely available. The other day in my local a bloke asked for Brown and Mild (half and half brown ale and mild).
  • Options
    You often find it in "social clubs" as these are often in habited by old men! Many sports club bar, the legion, conservative clubs those sort of places do mild.

Our local community centre has a bar and we have Mild (and we all have our own glasses).

I'm sure you get the idea of where to look!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's coming back

I really love a beer brewed in Cardiff called 'Dark' from the Brains brewery.
    I drank it almost daily as a student down there in the late 80's.
    It most definitely has 'mild' tendencies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Can you still get a pint of mild in the pub these days? Only ask as I am reading an excellent cricket book called Slipless in Settle and as it is set oop north, people drink mild. not something I have seen over here in Canada - does it still exist/does anyone here drink it even?

Is that Harry Pearsons book or am I confusing it with something else? Wrote the one about Belgium? Any good?
  • Options
    I can confirm we do it at Sheps but strangely or not depending on your view hardly ANY of our tenanted pubs ever order any.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]You often find it in "social clubs" as these are often in habited by old men! Many sports club bar, the legion, conservative clubs those sort of places do mild.

Our local community centre has a bar and we have Mild (and we all have our own glasses).

I'm sure you get the idea of where to look!

I go regularly to such a club and they've got Mild on tap, but I've never seen anyone ordering it or drinking it! So I don't either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I can confirm we do it at Sheps but strangely or not depending on your view hardly ANY of our tenanted pubs ever order any.

Is it just the Free Houses, and other breweries buying it in as a Guest Ale, that are moving it then, Ketters?

Or is it just not selling at all?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Can you still get a pint of mild in the pub these days? Only ask as I am reading an excellent cricket book called Slipless in Settle and as it is set oop north, people drink mild. not something I have seen over here in Canada - does it still exist/does anyone here drink it even?

Is that Harry Pearsons book or am I confusing it with something else? Wrote the one about Belgium? Any good?

Yes it is......he spends a season touring the Northern cricket leagues, if you like and know your cricket history you will love it. Some great stories in there.

I do remember drinking mild up north when at uni in Manchester, it was very cheap and a bit of a last resort. Am currently on holiday in Oregon, the brewing scene in the USA is very healthy at the moment and have had some excellent local brews the last few days!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]It's coming back

I really love a beer brewed in Cardiff called 'Dark' from the Brains brewery.
    I drank it almost daily as a student down there in the late 80's.
    It most definitely has 'mild' tendencies.

My all-time favourite beer, that stuff!!!

Wish you could get it in London!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]

Yes it is......he spends a season touring the Northern cricket leagues, if you like and know your cricket history you will love it. Some great stories in there.

I do remember drinking mild up north when at uni in Manchester, it was very cheap and a bit of a last resort. Am currently on holiday in Oregon, the brewing scene in the USA is very healthy at the moment and have had some excellent local brews the last few days!

The craft brewers in the states really take their beer seriously and they brew some truly stunning stuff. They're influenced by European and especially British traditional ales, but they have their own take on it. Some of the hops they use impart a distinctive taste, which is not to everyone's liking (although I do like).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]The craft brewers in the states really take their beer seriously and they brew some truly stunning stuff. They're influenced by European and especially British traditional ales, but they have their own take on it. Some of the hops they use impart a distinctive taste, which is not to everyone's liking (although I do like).

The Sierra Nevada beers are pretty awesome.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]

The craft brewers in the states really take their beer seriously and they brew some truly stunning stuff. They're influenced by European and especially British traditional ales, but they have their own take on it. Some of the hops they use impart a distinctive taste, which is not to everyone's liking (although I do like).

Well I do like a good lager or pilsner, have been drinking this all week it is lovely!! Nice booze
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oooh i drank Brains Dark on a Millenium Magic Weekend.

Gorgeous!

And we're going back in Feb next year.

Make sure the barrels are full!!!!
  • Options
    Mild in the "good old days" was the collected slops. Had a number of relatives in the trade moons back and mild making a come back ,back then had a whole new meaning !!

Mind you in them days pubs used to sell Watneys Red Barrel as a beer !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    GH that's what I remember about mild when I first started drinking. Mild was always the cheapest beer. My mates would never touch it because they said it was made of slops and would do your guts in.
  • Options
    It's a fanny's drink...