Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

matt tees

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Never saw him play because I am too young but apparently that he's the reason I'm named Matt, that and my Mum didn't like the name Robin.
  • Options
    Always remember the Tees & Green partnership (bought at the same time from Grimsby Town(. At corners they ran in from the edge of the penalty area.

Difficult if not impossible to defend against. None of the shirt pulling and pushing that ruins the game today.
  • Options
    Loved Matt Tees. Spent more time on the ground and in the air than standing up running! Fabulous header of the ball for us, only recently matched by Kermogant IMO. Set up ,many of Ray Treacy's goals, and a very good partnership they were. His front teeth had been knocked out long before he joined Charlton, and I remember getting his autograph in the Valley car park after training one day and being surprised he had a false set in place when he smiled!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

One of my all time favourite players from my all time favourite team of the sixties. He used to hang in the air as if he was suspended. I can still remember that team.

Wright
    Curtis, Went, Reeves, Kinsey
    Campbell, Moore,
    Gregory, Treacy, Tees, Peacock.

Nostalgia, is not what it used to be.

• Options
    Me too Dick
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

One of my all time favourite players from my all time favourite team of the sixties. He used to hang in the air as if he was suspended. I can still remember that team.

Wright
    Campbell, Moore,

Yep Dick, the nearly team that almost made into the promised land.

Almost inevitably it all fell apart the next season and that wonderful side was gradually dismantled.

A very happy birthday Matt, so many great memories of your days at The Valley.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Wright
    Campbell, Moore,

Right half, left half, inside right, inside left, Jumpers for Goalposts ... Ron Manager
  • Options
    Happy Birthday yesterday Matt.
    Yes that was some team Dick, so unlucky not to get promoted, Derby went up and became a great side under Brian Clough.
    I had some very happy memories watching Matt play.
  • Options
    with a little smattering of John Keirs

lovely memories ..matt was great in the air but fell to pieces like an MFI wardrobe on the ground

happy birthday Matt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't read all through this thread, but I believe he had a connection with Charlie Wright. Brother in law?

Tall skinny bloke Matt, but heart like a lion.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday for the 12th Matt .. being rude here, we always called you not mat, but lino, always on the floor ((:>)
  • Options
    BEANBAG said:

dickplumb said:

Wright
    Campbell, Moore,

That was one of the hardest set of players ever to have pulled on a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    One of my first Charlton heroes. We've done alright with strikers from Grimsby based on Matt and Super Clive.

Found this, love the "like a sea mist had swept in...."

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5842
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Wright
    Campbell, Moore,

Almost inevitably it all fell apart the next season and that wonderful side was gradually dismantled.

It fell apart because we sold Tees.

The 1969-1970 season started early because of the World Cup. In our opening 6 games (with Tees partnered up front by Ray Crawford, but the remainder of the squad as set out above) the results were Preston (H) W 2-1, Sheffield U (A) L 0-2, Millwall (A) D 1-1, Sheffield U (H) W 3-2, Watford (H) D 0-0, Oxford U (H) W 1-0

Played 6 Won 3 Drawn 2 Lost 1 Points 8

Promotion form again.

Tees left on August 28th 1969 - I remember the feeling of immense disappointment even now - and the next game (August 30th 1969, Swindon (A), went 0-5). It was the start of a 14 game run without a single win during which we slid from 3rd place to 18th.

The explanation for his departure was that his wife didn't adjust to living "down south" hence his eventual move back to Grimsby (via Luton).

• Options
    edited October 2017
    dickplumb said:

Wright
    Campbell, Moore,

Five of that team no longer with us.....Curtis, Moore, Gregory, Went, Treacy!
    Blimey.
  • Options
    Matt was probably about 5'11'' but could leap like a salmon. Loved him! He would pick up at least 3 free kicks a game because he was so easily knocked to the floor. I recall one goal when the goalkeeper hit the ball against Matt's leg and it rocketed into the net. "Great volley"" we all enthused! (Loved Charlie as well.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Acab said:

Err excuse me it's SIR Matt Tees please. The best header of the ball our club has ever had. If the goal he scored against Cardiff Easter Friday 1968 was on film you'd all agree. They should name some part of the ground after him, the man was a genius.

Was that the 4-1 win? If so my 1st game and the one that made me an Addick.
    Yes and it was the half time score as well.
  • Options
    One of my boyhood hero’s. Without doubt best header of a ball in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    He scored the first goal I ever saw Charlton score at The Valley, didn't win though 1-1 draw, hasn't really changed that much in all that time really has it ?
  • Options
    What a fantastic photo......in black and white it’s even more stunning.
    Do his family have a copy?
  • Options

What a fantastic photo......in black and white it’s even more stunning.
    Do his family have a copy?

@SE7toSG3 in his arty period.

I think we did send them copies of the pictures but can't remember.
  • Options

Remember that dirty Coventry City bastard George Curtis levering him up in full flight in front of our dug out at The Valley.
    He literally flew through the air as he was already two or three feet off the ground before the bulking frame of 16 or 17 stone Curtis slammed into his back and projected him into our dug out......the stadium was in uproar.
    An old luv jumped out of her seat in the stand and gave Curtis a couple of well aimed whacks with her rattle.
    How Curtis didn’t even get booked is a mystery to this day.
    Matt dusted himself down and carried on after a few minutes treatment.....he was a courageous player....no front teeth and often came off with a few cuts and bruises.
    If he’d have been as good with his feet as he was with his head he would have been a target for the worlds top clubs.
    Would love to have seen him take a penalty using his head.....I’d put money on the old fella scoring......to say nothing of well placed corners that would “all” get past the first man......current corner takers please take note!

that was the same game where Curtis took a flying header from a corner, missed and went head first into the goal post .. I was standing behind that goal and the 'crack' as he connected made even me wince ..
    Curtis just got up, shook his head and trotted back to his own half ready for the goal kick .. one tough f***er was Curtis and one that got away .. born in Dover and an ex Kent coal miner .. Jimmy Hill, the advocate of pure football, but played by right hard bastards ((:>)
  • Options
    Still have memories of his first home game for us - with Rodney Green. Matt made much the bigger impression, definitely one of the very best headers of a ball I have ever seen.

Happy belated birthday Matt.
  • Options
    Rodney didn't play that much for us did he ? My memory is a bit crap these days

Matt Tees fantastic leader of the line, superb heading ability.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

dickplumb said:

Wright
    Campbell, Moore,

It fell apart because we sold Tees.

The 1969-1970 season started early because of the World Cup. In our opening 6 games (with Tees partnered up front by Ray Crawford, but the remainder of the squad as set out above) the results were Preston (H) W 2-1, Sheffield U (A) L 0-2, Millwall (A) D 1-1, Sheffield U (H) W 3-2, Watford (H) D 0-0, Oxford U (H) W 1-0

Played 6 Won 3 Drawn 2 Lost 1 Points 8

Promotion form again.

Tees left on August 28th 1969 - I remember the feeling of immense disappointment even now - and the next game (August 30th 1969, Swindon (A), went 0-5). It was the start of a 14 game run without a single win during which we slid from 3rd place to 18th.

The explanation for his departure was that his wife didn't adjust to living "down south" hence his eventual move back to Grimsby (via Luton).

I remember being devastated and surprised when he left, but I hadn't appreciated just how immediately negative the impact was...

If only we'd had Leaburn then. Nah not Carl, but Tracey to settle his missus in...