Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best player not to play for England

ok, apart from Richard Rufus who are the best players to have not played for England.

Steve Bruce?
Julian Dicks?
Crooksy.....

And no, you cant pick Messi, Maradonna etc !!!!

Comments

• OUR best player: I would say without a doubt that if Johnny Humphrey (in his peak) played for one of the big boys he would have been capped on numerous occasions.
  • Billy Bonds was only ever an unused sub.
  • You just pipped me there Stone! Johnny H was a fantastic full back! Criminal that he never got a shot!
  • Killer - I think he played for England 'B' but never the full squad
  • Heskey? Has he had a cap?
  • Pele, George Best and Maradona all had the misfortune of being born in the wrong place.
  • Ex Liverpool player - Jimmy case
  • edited August 2010
    Rufus - Just read the top again doh
  • Billy Bonds without doubt.

Consistant season after season, tenacious performer with a full game engine. If he were playing even in todays quicker game, would still walk in to the current England squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree about Johnny H.He was a full back and winger rolled into one. Also I'd say Colin Powell would have played for England if he had played for a bigger club. I remember him terrorising Ian Gillard of QPR when he was the England full back. There were very few full backs that Paddy didn't leave sitting on their backsides. He could also cross a ball and was the main reason that Arthur Horsfield, Derek Hales and Mike Flanagan scored so many goals.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Killer - I think he played for England 'B' but never the full squad[/quote]

Flanny played for England B, but I don't think Killer ever did.
  • Yep. Billy Bonds.
  • Bartram was certainly the best goalkeeper not to be capped.

They didnt give caps out like confetti in his day.
  • Got to be Pele or Maradonna.... or have I misinterpreted the question?
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Got to be Pele or Maradonna.... or have I misinterpreted the question?
    Just havent read it. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Got to be Pele or Maradonna.... or have I misinterpreted the question?
    Just havent read it. ;-)

Dammit! You spoil all my fun.
  • i like leon osman! hes english yeah!!! great little player
  • John Barnes...

I know the pedants will point out that he won a few caps, I can't recall him actually doing anything that suggested he was an active participant though.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]John Barnes...

I know the pedants will point out that he won a few caps, I can't recall him actually doing anything that suggested he was an active participant though.

Wonderful goal against Brazil?
  • Sponsored links:

• Ryan Giggs could have if he'd made the right choice as a yoof i believe
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]Ryan Giggs could have if he'd made the right choice as a yoof i believe

That's a common misconception. People get confused because he played for England schoolboys which makes them think he had a choice about which country to play for. But he only played for the English schoolboys because he went to school in England. He's 100% Welsh. Could never have played for us.