Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thor & Marshall Off, Defender Close

edited August 2010 in Rumours
SLP reporting neither will be getting a contract but we are close to getting a defender in.

Comments

• surprised about Marshall, maybe his wages were too high.

probably means that Bauza will get one if he's not mentioned then
  • Defender story is on Twitter.
  • Really worried now as we've had 2 keepers on trial, we're 4 days from the start of the season, and yet we only have one keeper in our squad.
  • Why are we getting another defender when we still need strikers?

Is it Jon Fortune?
  • Could be a left sided centre back on loan who can cover left back too, since Jackson is our only fit left back at the moment and that's not his strongest position. Not sure we need another centre back, though Llera is suspended for the first game of the season.
  • Matt Fry?
  • Defender being Fortune?
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Why are we getting another defender when we still need strikers?

For goodness sake, I hear/read this complaint trotted out about virtually every rumour that isn't a striker and it just makes no sense.

If we need a defender and one is available and ready to sign then we should sign him - are you seriously suggesting we should wait until we have two strikers in before we make any moves to sign players in other positions? What if we can't do a striker deal until right before the window closes, leaving no time to sign anyone else!?!

Imagine you've gone to Sainsbury's knowing you need bread, milk and to pick up your prescription for your life saving anti cancer drug (I know this analogy is flawed) but when you get to the pahrmacy desk they say your drugs will be another 20 mins before they're ready. Do you stand by the pharmacy desk waiting or go off and get your bread and milk and come back for the drugs later? It's the same with football transfers.
  • Don't think we need another defender but if it's true hope it's fortune, wonder why he's letting Marshall go mayb he isn't prepared to be numer 2 to elliot who do we think the new number 10 is gonna be , benson, brodie other ? , and I can't think of many keepers what about kiely what a signing that would be player/coach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very surprised re: Marshall.

He was offered a short term deal by Colchester, surely we must be able to offer wages comparable with them?. The report I read re: him leaving Colchester was that he wanted a 1 year deal and they only needed him till there first choice keeper got fit and offered him 3 months.

Wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at cover at left back. Certainly think Jackson is wasted there. Borrowdale on loan again? More likely Matt Fry.

Would prefer to be reading about new strikers coming in though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Cafcben[/cite]Don't think we need another defender but if it's true hope it's fortune, wonder why he's letting Marshall go mayb he isn't prepared to be numer 2 to elliot who do we think the new number 10 is gonna be , benson, brodie other ? , and I can't think of many keepers what about kiely what a signing that would be player/coach.

He was 3rd choice at Villa so I can't see that being a problem.
  • That's a bit patronising, Exiled. We have extremely limited resources. We are quite well-covered defensively already. I would prefer us to focus our limited resource on the most vital thing eg I'd go without the milk to get the cancer drug in your extremely dodgy analogy.
  • He was 3rd choice at Villa so I can't see that being a problem.

It's a bit different to being second choice league 1 keeper with not that long left in the game I'm sure he was earning alot more at villa aswell.
  • Lost my bloody post!

Site crashed again.

:o(
  • and no decision yet on Bauza. Not really being fair on him are we. Marshall wage demands too high. Defender will be Matt Fry. Strikers next please.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]That's a bit patronising, Exiled. We have extremely limited resources. We are quite well-covered defensively already. I would prefer us to focus our limited resource on the most vital thing eg I'd go without the milk to get the cancer drug in your extremely dodgy analogy.

So you're saying you'd still buy the bread? ;-)

Not meant to be patronising Weegie, but it is a commonly used line and people were saying it even when we had only 12 senior pros. Strikers have been everyone's priority all summer, but it'd be one eyed to forget all other parts of the squad in the hunt for them.

We're not totally covered at the back anyway, we lack pace and have only 1 fit potential left back who is a midfielder by trade. If we can afford someone who can double up in a couple of positions across the back 4 (including left back) and run a bit quicker than Dailly, Llera and Doc, then they'd be a wortwhile addition imo.

As for the budget, things have loosened up a bit since Murray's announcement and if he and Parky think we can afford drugs and milk then I trust them, I very much doubt either of them have decided to sacrafice signing another first choice striker in order to sign a back-up left back.
  • Shame about Marshall but hopefully another keeper at a similar stage of their career may agree terms (Deano would be great news for his professionalism alone).

Guess Fry ticks the right boxes; left-footed cover for cb & lb.

The hunt for the elusive affordable quick 20-goal striker goes on - not that easy is it?
  • Problem is , as of today, we still have only TWO first team strikers !!!!!!!!!!! We have 4 central defenders , 2 right backs and 1 fit left back ,i left back coming back from injury, with Semedo as back up as well.

Intersting that Tuna hasn;t been given a squad number at the moment - talk was he was going out on loan this season.

Don't know why we are messing around with Bouza....... should sign him up now.
  • Bouza seems to have done enough to impress (certainly among the fans who've seen him a few times) but we don't know what terms have been discussed etc. Parky must be keen or he'd have gone the way of the Icelander but his signing may be dependent on a number of factors, not least who else we hope to bring in. Hope something can be sorted out though.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]That's a bit patronising, Exiled. We have extremely limited resources. We are quite well-covered defensively already. I would prefer us to focus our limited resource on the most vital thing eg I'd go without the milk to get the cancer drug in your extremely dodgy analogy.

Why? Especially if you'd already budgeted for needing all the items.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Problem is , as of today, we still have only TWO first team strikers !!!!!!!!!!! We have 4 central defenders , 2 right backs and 1 fit left back ,i left back coming back from injury, with Semedo as back up as well.
    Parky has told us time and time again that he needs more players, the deficiencies and what positions he's short in, and that he's trying his best to get the squad in shape before the big KO.

Just because he doesn't make a habit of publicising his transfer targets to all and sundry, won't mean he's oblivious to which players are available. Remember he follows the Lennie and Curbs rule - the right character of player, competitive, ambitious or often with something to prove. And keeping schtumm until his signings are in the bag.

As someone pointed out ........ just because he signs a defender, doesn't mean negotiations aren't under way for a striker.
    Players sign when everything's agreed, medicals passed, etc .....some deals take longer than others to complete.

So patience! Because of the Board situation at the club, Parky wasn't permitted to make his first signing until 3 weeks ago.
    In the short space of time since, it's starting to really come together - the guy's moved mountains in the meantime, and he's still having to work at it right now.
  • I see on twitter that addicktednet thinks Basey, Sam Sodje and Fortune are still training with us so maybe its one of them signing?
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]and no decision yet on Bauza. Not really being fair on him are we. Marshall wage demands too high. Defender will be Matt Fry. Strikers next please.

Who said football was fair?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]and no decision yet on Bauza. Not really being fair on him are we. Marshall wage demands too high. Defender will be Matt Fry. Strikers next please.[/quote]

Who said football was fair?[/quote]

I would have thought there was a fair bit of interest in Bauza. If he didnt think he was going to be offered any thing he'd have been off by now.

Hopefully will be announced tomorrow.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]As for the budget, things have loosened up a bit since Murray's announcement and if he and Parky think we can afford drugs and milk then I trust them.

Is this the new "Alan Pardew's having a party...."?
  • Shame Thor's not sticking around. He would have been great comedy value. I would imagine that now we have Pawel, he is surplus to requirements...especially since his fitness would have been a major gamble.

Hope Bauza signs soon.
  • If we sign Bauza will that be it for strikers? Or one more?
  • Another, smaller, quicker striker is a must and a guarantee, with or without Bauza
  • I'd love to see Bauza play behind the front two but doubt we'll be that adventurous!