Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First game back at the Valley - were you there ? your memories (30 years ago today)

Comments

• When My Dad told me he couldn't get a ticket I remember crying my eyes out I was only 8 at the time and this would have been the first time I would had seen a competitive game at the Valley. I was desperate for him to take me because he had told me so much about the Valley, especially the giant East Terrace. I remember watching games at sellhurst and Upton Park and never really understanding why we were the only club not have our own football ground. I finally got there on boxing day for the 1-1 draw against West Ham and seeing Simon Webster score for us from the Covered end.
  • I was there. what a fantastic day. Was sat in The West Stand on the opposite side of the aisle to Roger Alwen
  • [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]Me & my brother were two of the fortunate 8,337 who were there that day. A glorious day all round! Can't believe it's nearly 20 years ago!

One of the greatest days ever, we could barely sleep the night before owing to all the excitement. To finally walk through the turnstiles after all we went through at Shitehurst (didnt mind Upton Park as I knew it was the final stop before coming home) was amazing. When Walshy scored I cried my eyes out like a big baby, whenever I tell my 7 year old daughter I cried at a Charlton match she giggles tremendously. One day she will see me do it!!
  • Build Up - Lived in Woolwich at the time, had a season ticket that season anyway but still remember panicking about getting a ticket for the game and wrote to Chris Parkes explaining that id been to all the games at Selhurst and West Ham, supported the club for 12 years, been to this ground and that blah blah blah (as you do). It felt immense to get my hand on that ticket - cant remember if it came through the post of i had to collect.

On the day -I joined the march to The Valley in Woolwich TC ! Didnt get there in time to see Roger Alwen open the gates but got in ground fairly early ! Dont remember loads about the game just that there was a lot of emotion and pride when the boys walked out the portacabin, the weird look of the East Terrace, the weird look of the West Stand with the golf seats, Walshie scoring the goal and the scenes at full time as the players applauded the Covered End, the relief that we had made a winning return.
  • As i was in the army at the time, I was posted in the falklands and got back home on Nov 24th. Tried frantically to get a ticket, when that failed i got in touch with Tony fuel who was (and might still be) charlton's Chief steward as i had worked for him at selhurst and upton park, begging him to get me a day's work which i didn't want paying for but he had more Volunteers than he could shake a stick at so i obviously wasn't the first to try that one. In the end i had to admit defeat and knowing I'd have to wait for Brian Moore to show me the highlights the following day, I locked myself away, avoiding the result so i could watch it not knowing the outcome beforehand. It was absolute torture. I even muted the telly for the introduction (by Jim Rosenthal i believe) in case that knob gave any clues as to the result. The things we do, eh?
  • Yes, I was there. Jimmy Seed stand (was it called that then?). Proud day and we won which put the icing on the cake.
  • Weird how after all these years I still get emotional reading this stuff.
  • I was there in the North Stand. I have to say after going to the Valley since i was seven, i am now fifty six,it was one of the most memorable days of my life. Especially when we left the Valley under a cloud. It was such a positive emotional day when the players came out onto the pitch.As a child the Valley smelt of Old Holborn and roasted peanuts, a heady mix. I must admit i shed a tear especially for my dad who was a big Charlton fan but died before he could see them return.
  • Sat in the Jimmy Seed .Still remember jumping around the place and singing I'm going back to the valley,when my tickets
    arrived,much to the bemusement of my daughter.
  • My mate Kev was caught on camera crying and was in the mirror newspaper. Anyone remember my party at christmas with copies plastered everywhere?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]My mate Kev was caught on camera crying and was in the mirror newspaper. Anyone remember my party at christmas with copies plastered everywhere?

i did until i drunk some hurlimanns
  • How many apologies did you have to make over the years due to hooligans?
  • I still get emotional reading this too Tel..

I love it..
  • [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]How many apologies did you have to make over the years due to hooligans?

i always liked to think of it as if you don't remember it it doesn't count ............but too many
  • Emotional stuff this.

I don't remember a great deal from the day - I was only 10 and some of the subtleties of the atmosphere were probably a bit lost on me. I remember seeing some guy dressed in a Skeleton outfit and that Floyd Rd seemed packed and that we walked what seemed like miles round to the back entrance for the South Stand. My strongest memory of the day was my Dad, he'd been drumming into me for weeks what a big day it was (not that I fully appreciated it at the time) and he was as excited that day as I've ever seen him. My Dad has always been a bit of the stiff-upper lipped variety and has never been one for big public shows of affection, but when Walshy's goal went in he nearly hugged me and my Mum half to death. A special day and one I feel very lucky to have been at.
  • Resurrected to mark the 19th anniversary which falls tomorrow (Monday)

Happy 5th December fellow Addicks

• god I had hair
  • god, i was thinner!

• I was many miles away and got pulled up for wearing my Charlton shirt to work.So much water under the bridge since then... 
  • Don't remember too much about the day but do know that I was sat behind the goal in the North Stand and had a great view of Walshies goal. I always remember thinking that we would never get back to the Valley and it seemed like an eternity when we groundshared. Didn't stop me from going to Selhurst Park and Upton Park though and have some great memories of seeing us play in the first division whilst we were evicted.
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 you still got that photo of everyone outside the oak ?
  • Although I had moved over to West London three years earlier, my mum and dad lived in Valiant House, overlooking the ground, and so it quite something to see it all taking shape, especially after so many false dawns. I had gone over to my parents' place on the Thursday evening after work and the builders were still motoring, trying to get everything finalised for the big day. I don't know when the safety certificate was granted by Greenwich Council but I expect we cut it pretty fine.

I drove over very early on the day itself via the South Circular, got a picture of my two boys ( then 3 and 1 ) by the gates, had a celebratory pre-match lunch and we then took up our seats in the temporary West Stand. An unbelievably emotional occasion - people could almost not believe we were back and the real choker was when some of the old heroes came out on the pitch, including the Killer. What a great day. We were very fortunate to have people like Roger Alweyn, all the guys involved in the Valley Party ( including the quite brilliant publicity campaign ), fine young leaders like Rick Everett and Steve Dixon and a small but tremendously loyal support base, who managed to come up with a million quid in very difficult economic times. 

Although ITV's coverage is usually poor ( certainly these days ), they did that very good half hour special on the Sunday afternoon on our return. There were some good interviews outside the ground with our supporters, including some of the older ones. As the late, great Brian Moore said simply at the end of the game as the cameras focused on the cheering crowds, " they will always be able to say that they were there the day that Charlton came back to the Valley. "
  • edited December 2011

What a day! Got in the Abbey Arms at about noon had a very solid two hour session - train up and into the ground by about 2.30 sat in the covered end (still there today) tired and very emotional. Pandemonium when Walshie scored, my brother in law jumped up and landed on my foot bloody great oaf!. Found my self centre page in the Sun next day being hugged to death by him.

What a day hangover from hell next day bloody remember it forever.

• edited December 2011

A fantastic day, will stay with  my son and me for ever. As said above, can still get emotional about it. 

• Great day I was 11 years old, in H block covered end. loved it what memories
  • Yes, I was there. Sat with my mate Laurence in the Jimmy Seed stand. Hazy memories of the game itself as there wasn't too much to write home about but I do remember Walshy's goal. It was just a fantastic feeling to be back.
  • I was there with my two boys. we walked back to the valley from Woolwich.
     we were in the jimmy seed lower stand what a great day. :-)
  • South Stand - now Jimmy Seed - great emotional occasion.
  • North Stand, back row with my son & daughter, a day I will never forget.

COYR 

• Well this thread has made me smile as I sit in my office on the Isle of Wight ...........  I travelled up to The Valley that day from the Isle of Wight with train full of Pompey fans and shared plenty of beer and good banter.  I did not have a ticket but had 100 quid tucked in my pocket hoping to buy from a tout or fan at the ground but they were like rocking horse s**t. I was intending to get to the ground that day regardless of whether I had a ticket or not and soaked up the beer and the atmosphere, loving every minute.  As I did not have a ticket I climbed a tree on the edge of the ground, between the East Terrace and the South Stand but could not quite see all of the pitch so had to rely on the fans cheering to read some of the game.  I had only been up the tree a couple of minutes when a copper came along and told me to get down to which I politely refused as was not going to miss the game for anything.  He then told me he was going to arrest me to which i explained that I might as well stay up the tree then as can only be arrested once. He stood under the tree for the whole game until a couple of minutes from the end he had a message on his radio saying had been a disturbance and was needed elsewhere so he left in a hurry.  At this point I got down from the tree and legged it in the opposite direction ........... Im on the DVD Back to the Valley along with other fans in trees, on roofs etc etc lol.  Great day and I agree with the earlier comment, its days like this that make the Wembley play off final all the more special :-)