Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First game back at the Valley - were you there ? your memories (30 years ago today)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Ben sent in this pic, taken by himself in the Oak before the match:[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_180208 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]Royal Oak 5 Dec 92.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]
    That's me on the left, younger and thinner. I still wear the same scarf to matches.

What a cheapskate :)
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited December 2007
    Fantastic memories. I remember going to the game early...about 10am, meeting up with the guys who I had met and made friends with at Sellout...Mark, hi sister Gill...and who could ever forget big John...someone who I would always want at my side when things got a bit edgy (if you guys read this, Id love to hear from you). We met at Woolwich and marched back to the Valley...I was wearing my Back to the Valley replica shirt...which I still have in pristine condition...We had season tickets in the South Stand....row in front of the central gangway in the corner next to the temporary west stand. I was absolutely choked as the teams came out....I was so nervous I smoked myself hoarse on cigars and didnt smoke again for 13 years. Shed a few tears that day, and Im not at all ashamed to admit it.....watching that YouTube post bought it all back as Im laying here on the bed in Northern Queensland in sweltering heat......had another few tears running down my cheek as I read some of these posts. Im so proud of us as a club, the supporters, the things we have lived through, fought for.....a special thank you to Rick Hunt, who was a key figure in all this and someone who is often overlooked. I finally got home at 4am...drank our way back to Twitton, then on to Sevenoaks....a chinky and finally a very expensive cab back to West Kingsdown and a not very happy Missus...:-)
    Proud to be an Addick...always was, always will be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Ben sent in this pic, taken by himself in the Oak before the match:[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_180208 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]Royal Oak 5 Dec 92.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

From left to right that's Alex Wright who was a VP organisor, Danny Hayes (VP Candidate) , Alex Hayes (VP Candidate), Alan Lewis (crouching) and Steve Reader (VP Organisor)

There some other pics somewhere taken before and after the game but can't find them now.
  • Options
    I went with my Dad and Mr Weegie - it was his first game at The Valley as he'd joined the ranks at Selhurst. Remember it being about much more than a football match, though it was incredibly important that we won. Remember all the old players coming out and having tears in my eyes. We sat in the temporary West Stand, which was odd, as we always used to be on the East Terrace, then after that in the Covered End - think it was the first time I'd sat in that stand.

Gritt as player-manager had hardly played all season, but was there on the teamsheet - he wasn't going to miss this one! And remember thinking it must have been odd for Lee Power as a loan player to be part of such a big occasion.

We were right in line of seeing that Walshie's goal was offside. Thanks for that one, lino and ref! It all just felt like a dream.

Can't really compare it to the play-off final - that was a big day out which turned into an amazing football match, whereas the first match back was about Charlton the Club having its future in its own hands at last - and so many people had worked so hard in all sorts of different ways to make that happen.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2007
    Started off in the H&G, me, my dad and pals, ended up in a very busy Oak, slll started going hazy after that.
    Sat in the North stand over towards the corrugated east stand behind a stair well/exit, great atmosphere, ended up in a pub in Plumstead for even more beer.
    Have met with Colin Walsh a few times since on other business, top fella.
  • Options
    Yes I was there it was my first ever home game. Living in Stoke my had taken me to the away games in the local area but said we would never go an home whilst we were away from the Vally. I can remember that he had to move heaven and earth to get us tickets for game. I cannot remember too much as I was only about 10. We were interviewed by the local T.V cameras before the game. Then we stood outside the ground for about an hour went in and the atmosphere was amazing. From what I can remember it was a pretty poor football match but that didnt matter. It was well worth the journey back to Stoke-On-Trent, a pilgrimage which has been repeated many tmes since.
  • Options
    My dad still the memorial pin badge too that those chaps were wearing that picture.
  • Options
    Met up early doors for fry up followed by Horse and Groom at 10.30. Then on to the oak before ground about 2.00.Remember changing me seat at half time as I was in block by Est Terrace and all my mates were in f block.After game we managed tickets for players do in the oak had beers with P.C. Micky Rogers and nearly had a fight with Mossy the old physio.Was supposed to do the Rose in Plumstead but had to go home as I couldn't speak anymore.
  • Options
    We really love this club don't we?

I have a massive lump in my throat sat at my desk here reading the above posts since 5 days ago when I last read this thread.

Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    Bit of a funny one for me as I did not go, was a regular at the old Valley & at Selhurst & West Ham but about a month before we went back was picked up by a Local Side on Fringes of breaking into Semi-Pro Football, started playing for them & did not make a single home game for remainder of that season, first game I did make it back to new valley was funnily enough at Home to Pompey the following season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there - my Dad moved heaven and earth to get us a ticket each

In one of the front rows of the South Stand and I was so excited

I remember seeing Steve Backley there - he was enormous!

And I remember wearing my old Ribeiro shirt with Viglen on it

Happy days - that's what being a Charlton fan is all about
  • Options
    Wasn't there because I couldn't get a ticket and didn't deserve to be.

My visits to Selhurst Park were spasmodic for reasons described elsewhere and I'm not sure I even went to Upton Park when we were there. I can't thinkof any matches at present any way.

My "return" was the 4-3 Southend game which launched the new East Stand and I brought my older two daughters to Charlton for the first time as well.

That for me was a very emotional day. The East Terrace was where as a small boy I had stood with my father and grandparents and there I was bringing two of my own children somewhere I often doubted that they would ever see.
  • Options
    Chasing two Dobermen Pincher (sic) dogs out of a garden so we could get in the No Mans Land between the gardens and the East Terrace.Climbed a tree watched the game.

OB turning up and saying we wuld all be nicked (why?) till i pointed out we wasnt in anyones garden and hadnt broken into The Valley they pissed off.
  • Options
    I am surprised some felt the atmosphere was not good, I imagine the East terrace being shut may have had to do with it, but in the Covered End I thought the atmosphere was electric. I was half way up just to the right of the goal as you looked out at the pitch.

It is the only time I remember people me included singing along to the red red robin.

My main memory was whilst the old players were being introduced on to the pitch; the first Portsmouth player appeared out on to the pitch on his own for a pre warm up. I and all the guys around me started to shout vehemently at him to get the Feck off the pitch. After all he was only being allowed at the Valley that day to make the numbers up. I remember the shocked look on his face as he turned to the stand with most on the right of the stand baying for his blood for having the audacity to come on the hallowed turf at an inopportune moment.

Jim Smith said after the game his young team were overawed and that the atmosphere got to them. The atmosphere in the remainder of the season in the North Stand was aggressive and intimidating and possibly got one or two ref decisions in our favour at that end.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]I am surprised some felt the atmosphere was not good, I imagine the East terrace being shut may have had to do with it, but in the Covered End I thought the atmosphere was electric. I was half way up just to the right of the goal as you looked out at the pitch.

It is the only time I remember people me included singing along to the red red robin.

My main memory was whilst the old players were being introduced on to the pitch; the first Portsmouth player appeared out on to the pitch on his own for a pre warm up. I and all the guys around me started to shout vehemently at him to get the Feck off the pitch. After all he was only being allowed at the Valley that day to make the numbers up. I remember the shocked look on his face as he turned to the stand with most on the right of the stand baying for his blood for having the audacity to come on the hallowed turf at an inopportune moment.

Jim Smith said after the game his young team were overawed and that the atmosphere got to them. The atmosphere in the remainder of the season in the North Stand was aggressive and intimidating and possibly got one or two ref decisions in our favour at that end.

I remember the guy warming up and kept glancing accross to him as the players were being announced. He clapped every single one onto the pitch so i had no problem with him out there warming up... put it this way i would have rather sat next to him than the bloke i had who read a book all the way through the ex players being called out. Charlton are Back charlton are back
  • Options
    Remember getting up that morning and putting the Red Red Robin on the stereo at threshold of pain volume, I was in a terraced house at the time, bet the neighbours loved that. Had to go down to Comet in Charlton first thing, I went round to sneak a look how things were going, they were still rolling some Tarmac where the portakabins were at about 10 O'clock. Bernie Taylor, God rest him, got hold of tickets for me and my mates for the Oak pre-match and after a few in there it was down to business. Like Falconwood , I think seeing Killer on the pitch really done it for me, you felt he'd taken as dim a view of being away as we did, which made him all the more a hero.

We were in block A of the covered end, couldn't see a great deal from there-I had this picture in my head of Walshies goal, when I saw it next day on TV it hit the opposite corner to what I thought, but who cares. The club had booked the Oak for the staff in the evening so we made for the Antigallican, which was closed believe it or not, so it was on to the Horse and Groom, The Bugle Horn and finally a curry in Charlton Village. Should really have been Haddock and chips, I know, but a pretty good day all the same.
  • Options
    Also hardly missed a game at Selhurst and Upton Park but had already arranged a trip to New York that weekend with a young lady......regretted it ever since.She wasnt worth it.I've never put a woman before football since ;-)
  • Options
    Only started going to see Charlton every week when we were at Selhurst and Upton Park - but wanted so much for us to go back to the Valley and went on the march to Woolwich Town Hall etc.

Never got to see us return, as I had started university up north by then and didn't have the money or wherewithal to get there for the game. However, it was still a special day for me, even 250 miles away. It was all over the TV (even up here) and I lapped it up and felt very emotional - especially not being able to be there! I remember getting a whole load of pissed up northerners singing "we're going back to the Valley" and anyone who was a football fan seemed really pleased for us.

I had all the local papers sent to me with all the press coverage of that day, and ended up having the Mercury sent up every week to keep me informed. Even far away, I was very proud that day. I still am.
  • Options
    I was out in Israel on a kibbutz at the time, but remember listening to the football scores on the BBC world service radio with a couple of Bristol Rovers fans. There was an article in the Jerusalem Post that day about our return to The Valley, so obviously got hold of a copy of the paper, which is stashed away with all my old Charlton stuff. Always wondered if i should give it to the club for their museum if they have one?
  • Options
    I was there, and as proof my picture is on the website. I got back from Tenerife on the Friday and was at the Valley for the big day. It was worth all the grief my missus gave me just to be there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    On the day before the game there was a family crisis which meant two family members couldn't go to the game. I tried to contact Rick Everitt at the Mercury to see if he knew of 2 supporters that could make use of two spare tickets. To cut a long story short I ended up meeting his boss in The Swan before the game, handed over the tickets (for free) and was having a pint with him when an officious member of the constabulary turned up and insisted that as my son was under age we should vacate the premises (did anyone else have this problem?). This got us to the ground earlier than intended but meant that we were able to enjoy the various celebrations going on in Floyd Road. In the ground I remember a very odd feeling as we walked along the temporary walkway over the East Terrace very close to the spot where I stood with my dad for my first match in '51; it was that sort of day. Once in our seats in the then South Stand we found that our spare tickets had ended up with two members of Lee Powers ' family who had come to watch his first game for the Addicks.How this happened I have no idea but it certainly wasn't what I had intended! The next 2 hours were as described above, I cannot improve on any of that! Even when our aged Vauxhall Viva conked out in Charlton Village and I ended up underneath it for 1/2 hour it didn't diminish the joy of that day.
  • Options
    Had a few drinks with me bro (NLA) then as i had a season ticket and he didnt he had to watch from the gardens behind the east terrace while i was in block f of the covered end. The day was just a blur really. just remember the goal and then a few tears. Just one hell of a day.
  • Options
    What a day, was only 16 at the time but i remember that Walsh goal so well. It was strange as I had spent all those years going to Smelhurst & Wet Spam, but although i had only visited the Valley for the first couple of years of my Charlton supporting life I always knew it was our HOME. I remember making my old man park up in our 'usual spot' even though we had not been there for so many years and the walk across Charlton Park...don't think you can compare with the play off final...both days were just wonderful examples of the amazing highs you can get from supporting your local team rather than being some 'glory hunter'. Still get a tingle down the spine when i think of either, which my Man Utd supporting colleaues at work will never get and therefore never understand!
  • Options
    I drove over from Herne Hill, had difficulty remembering the directions as I used to get a lift from my friends dad
    (and I was only a youngster). An incredible day for lots of reasons, very different from the play offs, I remember loooking at the fresh paint and steel and thinking how different it was from the old days (wonky concrete on the East Terrace)...

Hope this image comes out, I've still got loads of cuttings from the papers (managed to stop the Mrs from ditching them when we moved to Canada !!)
  • Options
    I was already a season ticket holder and me and my mucker Melon Man, set of from Greenwich at 11.00 and visited every pub on the way. Last stop was the Rose of Denmark which was relatively empty but playing "Red, Red Robin". Our seats were in different spots on the North and so we celebrated and hugged strangers when the goal went in. Back to the Rose afterwards and that's where my memory of the dy ends.
  • Options
    We had loads of pictures of my mate Kev (Cheeserolls brother), caught on camera with tears running down his face.
    From the following Sunday Mirror I believe!
    Had a party round my dads up Shooters hill and hid these pictures everywhere!
    Any lifers remember?
  • Options
    I was there that day,never forget the piss up in the horse and i was the unlucky 1 caught by most cameras with tears in my eyes.i MUST HAVE MADE MOST NEWSPAPERS AND EVEN THE COVER OF A CHARLTON BOOK,GOT STICK FOR WEEKS AND EVEN NOW IM STILL GETTING REMINDED.
  • Options
    great day ended up inthe oak with nss and he is right had a bit of trouble with gary moss the old physio then again we had a good drink that day and if i remember minto was as rude as shite .
  • Options
    Thought I'd bump this as it's 17 years tomorrow.
  • Options
    Great day, started in Woolwich town centre with the march. Seem to remember it being cold which was soon forgotten when Walshie buried his drive