Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First game back at the Valley - were you there ? your memories (30 years ago today)

Comments

• I lived and worked in Sheffield at the time, and had selected my season ticket seat with my son in the temporary West Stand. I wanted my Dad to come to the homecoming but had loads of problems getting seats together, so moved to JS stand for that one game.
    Tickets never arrived by post so it was stressful getting duplicates. The ticket office was chaotic in those days. So pleased Dad was able to come for what turned out to be one of his last trips to The Valley. Don’t remember having any alcohol as Dad had mobility problems and I was driving.
    A very special day for a very special club, with very special supporters.
  • I wasn’t at the first match of our return mainly as I stopped following Charlton when they left the valley. I did vow that I’’d resume my support our return. I became a season ticket holder the next season and did resume my passion; home and away. That is until I started to feel the soul being ripped out of our club by the current regime.

On the match day, I recall pacing around plumstead at kick off time with only one thing on my mind; totally excited. I watched the match the next day on telly through tears of joy.
    Thank you Valley Party, thank you loyal fans and directors, and thank you Colin Walsh for that magnificent goal. And another thank you to the Pompey that shared our day.
    I will be in attendance on Saturday and I’m sure in an emotional state. Win or lose...it’s good to be home.

Solidgone
  • PeterGage said:

Me as the Reserve Match Official with the spare match ball under my arm. Alan Curbishly snuck into my picture !!

I can see myself in the background there, the only way i could get a ticket was to borrow a wheelchair from Charlton Park disabled school, and take my mate in it, (I was working in the school at the time so had permission).
    Was your friend disabled?

• edited December 2017
    As posted on the poll thread, went with my late father and son and sat in the Jimmy Seed stand. Made the five mile drive from home with car windows open and the the 'Back to the valley' song in which Roger Alwyn announces 'Charlton fans everywhere, we are going back to the Valley' blaring out until we were parked up near the ground. Brings a tear to the eye just thinking about it.
  • I was there , a great day , very emotional , behind the goal , we all went mad when walshy scored ,
    In Spain this weekend so won't be there .
    Be keeping in touch on valley pass .
    Come on you reds
  • Loved it and will never forget it....got home after the game half naked with a chinese takeaway.
  • 1967CAFC said:

Loved it and will never forget it....got home after the game half naked with a chinese takeaway.

I hope it was from the waist up and not waist down.
  • Drinking champagne at home before the game with two Millwall supporters, a Liverpool supporter and someone who's not really in to football. Walking to the ground with a growing sense of anticipation. Getting very emotional. Going ballistic at 15:07.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was there. I don't remember much as I think the pixies who lived in the stadium must have spiked my drink.
  • I said a few years ago I was in the Covered End. I wasn't, I was in the Jimmy Seed. I can remember the walk along the East now, it always seemed heavily gritted.

Unfortunately I cant find any photos from Upton Park but I've dug up the attached from 5/12/92. I asked my dad if he'd go this Saturday but he's working. Roland this week has reminded me of why I'm staying away too, Katrien and her £75 shirts can F-off. I'll be back celebrating when they're gone (possibly in double denim again).
  • Thats me in the second picture, far right!! blimey. Great day. Look at my red face... to many shandies.
  • edited December 2017
    .image
  • .image

@charltonnick in the red wig?
  • In the Jimmy Seed stand, pretty central, near the front.
    Think Lee Power (on loan from Norwich) was playing for us.
    Now a Director at Swindon.
    Colin Walsh one of my all time favourite players.

He's the chairman!
  • Watch bbc London news if you can. It was on the earlier bulletin so hopefully on this one. Big clip on us.
  • 29 years ago today, would be great if any newer lifers could add their memories to this thread 
  • Nicholas said:
    When My Dad told me he couldn't get a ticket I remember crying my eyes out I was only 8 at the time and this would have been the first time I would had seen a competitive game at the Valley. I was desperate for him to take me because he had told me so much about the Valley, especially the giant East Terrace. I remember watching games at sellhurst and Upton Park and never really understanding why we were the only club not have our own football ground. I finally got there on boxing day for the 1-1 draw against West Ham and seeing Simon Webster score for us from the Covered end.
    Bloody hell. In the post before this on the previous page (pages 5&6) there's someone else who took two Palace supporting mates. Hard luck @Nicolas
  • Sponsored links:

• will bring them in to work tomoz and try and scan them
    We're still waiting, Adam!

will bring them in to work tomoz and try and scan them
    We're still waiting, Adam!
    9 years later.

We're still waiting @adamtheaddick
  • Apart from the game, remember drinking with lots of mates, some no longer with us sadly, at the Antigalligan. then onto the Rose of Denmark after.  Just a truly memorable
    day with a good bunch of people I still know to this day.
  • Since our return to The Valley:

Days spent sleeping: 3,529 days
    Months spent sleeping: 116 months
    Years spent sleeping: 9.67 years
    Full moons: 359

The estimated number of babies born on 5th December 1992 is 370,730 or about 257 babies every minute. (Source: un.org)

The world population in 1992 was 5,504,401,149

In 1992 the first text message was sent, DVDs were invented, Sony PlayStation was released and Google was founded.
  • What do I remember most? Seeing Derek Hales on the pitch in the ceremony before kickoff and spontaneously bursting into tears.
    You weren't the only one.
  • Happy 30th Anniversary! I'm re-stickying the thread for today, and adding a link to the thread of pictures of the Mercury's Back To The Valley Supplement for those who've not looked at that recently.
  • Early 20's. Great day, smiled all the way through. Pretty certain that if it were today, I'd be blubbing like a baby - anything sets me off nowadays (including posts on here). It must be an age thing...
  • 30 years ago today. I was 18, full of life, and had never heard of Charlton Athletic. 

I was so happy.

Well done to everyone that did their bit at the time. You kept the nightmare alive so that those that came later could share in the misery. 

Seriously though, much respect and gratitude to everyone then and now. It’s a great club. 

LLLABH

• I was there while my wife was in hospital expecting our first born. Thankfully he waited until the 11th. *Walsh now works full time in football as a social media manager for a successful football academy in London.

*I wasn't going to call him COLIN !
  • @_MrDick said:

Can remember the day as if it were yesterday. Big meet up in Woolwich and the gentle stroll to the Valley. Took my seat in the JS stand early and soaked it all in. Such a happy and sad day for me. We had returned to our spiritual home but my dad, my hero, wasn’t there to share it as he’d passed a couple of months earlier. But I’m sure he was there in spirit looking down. Dread to think what he’d make of our current predicament